Crazy emotions :/

LisaV_SG
on 12/5/16 7:32 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

alright so I guess I'm 4 days post op (practically 5). I'm feeling ok.. but I just had a complete breakdown in my bathroom.. :( anyone else get like this shortly after the surgery? I'm not particularly "hungry" I don't think,but since I used to have a relationship with food.. I think I miss it. Plus for some odd reason my calves are really sore (any reason why?) so it's now kinda hurting to walk.. plus the shots I've been having to give myself since coming home twice a day have given me some good bruises on my stomach. Idk, it could always be worse but I just had a totally breakdown crying. Nothing worth having is easy, and I know this tough beginning is temporary, but it's really hard having nothing to eat :( and I still can't sleep comfortably which I expected.. any idea when I'll be able to sleep on my stomach again? :D any support or advice would help! Thank you guys so much 

Rachel B.
on 12/5/16 7:53 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Are you drinking propel or sugar free Gatorade?  Sounds like your potassium may be off.  Often 'Charlie horses' or calf muscle cramping can be due low potassium.  Talk to your MD about potassium or sodium supplements.  As far as mood...  likely, you are in ketosis and carb craving.  And, yes, you've more than likely lost a very good friend.  Some of them for a very long time...  Emotions and hormones are all fluctuating.  This life change can be a very emotionally taxing transition.  If the emotions get out of hand, see a counselor.  It's a bigger change, emotionally, than I think many of us give creadence to prior to surgery.  I didn't, and I'm a mental health practitioner.  Losing the weight opened a whole new can of whoop ass on me, and here I am, working on losing again.

never be afraid to ask questions.  We're here to support you.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

LisaV_SG
on 12/5/16 8:19 pm
VSG on 12/01/16

Khepera, thanks for the amazing input first of all. Not drinking sugar free Gatorade or propel, I will definitely do that starting tomorrow. I've been putting crystal lite in my water? Water has also been kind of hard to get down. I see my doc Thursday for my one week post op follow up so I will ask him then for sure. Ugh, I hope I'm a little too early for a counselor lol but that is a great idea, I heard it helps. Thank you so so much!

Becki809
on 12/6/16 8:48 am
VSG on 11/08/16

I had issues w/water after surgery, went and bought Fiji water and that worked.  I know it is a bit more $$ then other water but well worth it that first 3-weeks.  I am one month out now and can drink any brand of water with no issue.  Good luck!!!

rissa1224
on 12/6/16 5:03 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

I sipped on very much diluted Gatorade - G2 because it has less everything in it. Which I still drink daily. Not only did I have mood swings, mostly sad,  but I had bad bad breath LOL. One morning I woke up hysterically crying. I wasn't 'sad', I just cried all day. Woke up the next day and was happy! So odd. I think its normal! BTW, congrats on being on this losers bench =) if you need someone to chat with, don't hesitate to message me!

LisaV_SG
on 12/6/16 7:54 am
VSG on 12/01/16

Lol about the bad breath! Yeah I think I'm gonna get some of that Gatorade! G2 means it's the sugar free kind? Yeah I think I'm just having mood swings too. I can't wait to eat real food again  and thank you! Excited to be here!! I will keep that in mind, thanks so much!

rachelp
on 12/6/16 8:37 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I had everything you described. Drink poweraid zero for your sore calves. You lost your best friend food. I mourned food for a couple of months. My husband is a Chef and our outings were always trying new restaurants. We do everything together is it always involves food. It was hard to get over but give it time. It will happen. Also our fat contains lots of hormones so as you loose all those hormones release into your body. Watch out for the anger LOL.  

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Joshua H.
on 12/6/16 8:40 am
VSG on 10/26/16

I didn't have the sore calves, or the injections, but I did have the mood swings, still do.

I cycle thru mad (at nothing), sad (at something), content, happy and probably a dash of melancholy for good measure.  I don't know if it gets better -- but I'm more used to it.

Coppergirl
on 12/6/16 9:57 am

I agree that your emotions are at a peak. I feel like I am on a rollercoaster at times. I am 3 months out today. I feel like they are quieting down and the heels are getting smaller. Be sure to set aside time for yourself. You need to talk to the new you and be sure that you make her more of a friend than food was. :-).

As for the calves, I have Fibromyalgia so charley horses are part of my life. I asked my surgeon about potassium. They let me start at 2 weeks. So I would give them a call.

Good luck and keep up the good work!!

Started this journey 6/6/16 - 246.8lbs. SW 214 - 9/6/16 VSG. CW - 158. (9/15/17) Post VSG M1- 20, M2- 8.4 M3- 6.6 M4- 8 M5- 3.6 M6-5.8 M7- 1.5 M8- 1.5 GOAL - 142.

Never waste a second chance!!

Donna L.
on 12/6/16 1:52 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Surgery is very emotional even when situations are ideal.  I had my own mourning, too.

Post-op we are in a nutritional state called ketosis.  This means our body is using fat for energy - it's burning fat instead of glucose.  This often gives us muscle cramps because ketosis is naturally diuretic.  Powerade Zero works great.  I add 1-2 shakes of potassium lite salt to mine to up the potassium.  Note that this makes it taste weird.  After your stomach heals, extra calcium can also help with muscle cramps, too.

If you are allowed to have sugar free popsicles those help with the need to eat quite a bit.  They counted as a liquid for me, but they do not for every surgeon.  I wound up making my own from crystal light. :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active