Recovery and anxiety

Brynnirene
on 12/27/16 2:24 pm
VSG on 12/29/16

I am so excited for my surgery, probably about 60% excited and 40% scared. Scared of complications that is and the pain after surgery. I obviously know its going to be pretty uncomfortable, I mean they are taking out most of my stomach. For whom who has had the surgery already, how bad was the pain after? And how did you ease the nervousness of getting the surgery? 

jachristmas
on 12/27/16 4:19 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

After having a c-section and my gallbladder out I was preparing myself for pain, but was so surprised that I really had very little pain. Now everyone is different, but I had more pressure from the gas they use, which walking helps so so much. I also had some nausea from the anesthesia but they gave me a patch and meds for it and it really helped. I was up walking laps soon after getting in my room. I used the pain meds in the hospital just that night and when I got home used Tylenol during the day and the prescription stuff at night to help me rest. I struggled a little to get comfy but I changed it up between the bed, couch, and recliner..and use lots of pillows. My incisions were just a little tender and I felt achy for a few days, but just keep sipping and walking. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/16 5:39 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

The most uncomfortable I felt was from the anesthesia; my nausea was awful.  Once that subsided I can't say the pain was that bad.  I didn't require a narcotic but I took Gabapentin and extra strength Tylenol as prescribed for two weeks.  The incision where they pull the excess stomach out was the most noticeable and wearing the binder really gave me extra security in my abs. that I needed.  I wore the binder at least 4 weeks.  I was nervous prior to surgery but I kept telling myself how grateful I was to finally be able to have the surgery.  Going to a support group really helped me. Keep us updated on your progress.  

Anita
on 12/27/16 6:08 pm

For me, there was discomfort more than pain.........the worst part was coming out of anesthesia....just remember to walk and sip as much as you possible can as that is what will get the leftover gas out of your system. Other than that, there's not much I can add to the other answers you've gotten.

Best of everything on your journey!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/28/16 2:40 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had very little pain - more like discomfort as Anita describes. I also had no nausea. I was in the hospital for 2 days but probably could have gone home in 1, as I was walking the hospital halls constantly.  I've had 3 abdominal surgeries in my life and this by far was the easiest. Just focus on the positive that you are taking control and you are going to be on the losing side soon.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

sheri.calabrese
on 12/28/16 6:05 am
VSG on 12/14/16

My pain as very minimal. Sitting and getting up were the only times I felt like I had anything done. Once I was down or up, it was all good. I took no pain relievers of any kind once I got home from hospital and I want back to work after a week. 

As far as the nerves, I just kept reminding myself how excited I was before I got the actual date. The date is what kicked my nerves into gear.  

Good luck and congrats!!!

dawncoates
on 12/28/16 1:09 pm
VSG on 12/07/16

If you pray start there. The pain is not bad at all more gas pain then anything. I was literally up walking the halls about an hour after I got to my room. I stayed on pain meds about four days mainly because I am a wuss when it comes to pain.

Meghan704
on 12/28/16 4:01 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

The pain isn't that bad. The worst part is the uncomfortable feeling you feel from the gas and maybe a little pain where they remove the stomach. For me the worst part was when the incisions were healing, they were SO itchy. As for easing your nerves, I almost backed out the night before. I actually started crying on my way to the hospital and almost backed out. Just remember why you started this and how much better you will look and feel. It was totally worth it and I would do this again every year of my life if I had to. Good luck! 

diane S.
on 12/29/16 11:42 am

Hi, I am one of the lucky ones who had very little pain and was bouncing off the walls after a couple of days. My worst discomfort was hating the taste of protein drinks but I just forced it down.

I had to fight insurance company to get my surgery and deal with all kinds of other issues so by the time I got to it, I was ready and not really scared. I started preparing months ahead with diet and excerise and was ready to go. I rationalized that the body has plenty of redundancy like two lungs and kidney and you really have a bigger stomach than you need, due to evolutionary feast or famine. You are effectively downsizing to the right stomach size for you. Think of it in those terms. 

I also had total confidence in my surgeon and a nice calming anesthesiologist so that helped a lot. Imagine yourself slim. GL   Diane S.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active