Finally approved for surgery!

Stephcsmith1
on 12/27/16 3:16 pm - Boca Raton, FL
VSG on 01/05/17

I finally got the call today that my surgery is approved! This has been such a long battle for me (a year and a half) to get this approved. I was 1 month away from finishing my nutritional counseling, and the company I was working for was acquired and their insurance changed - they did not cover bariatircm surgery. And then a month later I was laid off.

Luckily, the new company I work for covers the surgery, but I had to work as a contractor and wait awhile before I was offered insurance and it was valid.

I started my liquid pre-op diet early (12/19). My surgery date is 1/5. I'm very excited and a little nervous. I'm most nervous about the recovery and days after surgery. My pain tolerance varies, so I'm not sure how I will handle this and the recovery from anesthesia.

Any tips from the veterans on things I should know that people don't tell you or that you weren't prepared for?

Anita
on 12/27/16 6:05 pm

first of all....congratulations on getting approved.............finally!!

secondly.....nervousness is okay....just don't let it take over your life.....breathe and keep thinking about how much better life will be once you're on the Loser's Bench and taking control of everything.

third, I can't speak for anyone else, but my pain was minimal (fortunately) ....the first two days were rough as I always have a hard time coming out of anesthesia (some people don't have any problem and some get really nauseous).....just remember to walk and sip....walk and sip....the more you do of those two things the easier your recovery will be.

fourth, just keep reading posts here and you'll get answers to questions you didn't know you had!

Best of everything in your journey.....soon you'll be a new you and it will be great!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Mary Gee
on 12/27/16 6:38 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Congratulations on your approval.  My surgery was delayed due to insurance issues too.  Very frustrating.

Everyone is nervous about the surgery...that's normal.  If you weren't nervous, I'd be concerned.

I had no issue with the anesthesia.  Years ago, when I had eye surgery, I had problems.  Was very nauseous.  Next time I had surgery, I mentioned my prior issue, and they added something so I would not be nauseous....it worked fine, and I'm always sure to mention it to surgeons.

Post-op pain for me was minimal.  I actually drove myself home from the hospital and had no problems getting around, and had no issues.

I was very well prepared...I read so much here on the boards and learned a lot.  Time in the hospital flew by.  The 5th will be here before you know it.  Wishing you the best!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

sheri.calabrese
on 12/28/16 6:08 am
VSG on 12/14/16

Congratulations! My recovery was very unremarkable and it really felt like I had not had surgery. My wife had some major reflux issues that took several medication tries to get under control. She was miserable the first couple of weeks but thankfully it has passed. 

Stephcsmith1
on 12/28/16 8:30 am - Boca Raton, FL
VSG on 01/05/17

Thank you all for your support and responses! I look forward to joining the loser's bench with you all!

Meghan704
on 12/28/16 8:01 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

My advice is, as hard as it is, stick to the pre op Diet your surgeon sets for you. I had to do a liquid diet for two weeks and cheated a few times thinking my surgeon wouldn't know. A day after my surgery while in the hospital he told me he knew i cheated and almost closed me up and cancelled my surgery because I did not follow the rules and the only reason he went through with it was because he knew how obese I was (BMI at 50) and that I truly needed it because of all my co morbidities.  The pre op diet is no joke and you wouldn't want to go through all of this for nothing. Good luck!

Stephcsmith1
on 12/31/16 2:40 pm - Boca Raton, FL
VSG on 01/05/17

Thank you!

I'm also on a liquid protein shake diet. I started it before two weeks and cheated a bit in the beginning because I own a side catering business, and unfortunately you have to taste things to make sure the seasoning is OK.

I finished my orders on Christmas Eve, so I'm not concerned because it was such a little amount and I've been drinking detox teas and water like crazy to flush my liver. And I'm already down 12 lbs.

Meghan704
on 12/31/16 3:02 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

That's great! Make sure you check in after surgery and let us know how it went! Good luck, you'll do great!

happyteacher
on 12/29/16 7:20 am

That is a very big deal, congratulations!!! Way to stick with it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Readyjwc
on 12/30/16 4:19 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Congratulations from NH! If you weren't nervous, I'd be concerned lol. I'm waiting for my insurance company and then I'll have my date.

Good luck and think positively!  A new chapter is about to begin!

Most Active