3 days post op and scared!!

btownk
on 1/22/17 8:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I got my sleeve on Thursday the 19th of January.  I'm so having anxiety and panicky, What did I do to myself!!  Did I do the right thing??  I had a band put in 09, that never worked just caused a lot of problems so in September had it removed and now am sleeved!  Will I ever be able to go out to dinner or lunch and eat ?  Can someone please tell me what can you eat post op, a month out, what should I expect?

I'm just scared!  My mind wants to eat even though I'm not hungry.  someone please help, what should I expect?

TeeFell
on 1/22/17 8:58 pm
VSG on 01/18/17

I had mine the day before you and I had same anxieties. Never had the band but can tell you for sure I had a moment even as I was being wheeled into surgery that I should just jump off the table and run.  But I think I was overcome by the enormity of the decision not whether it was the right thing to do.  I have high blood pressure, severe gout, pre-diabetes, horrible body image problems..all of which are helped with the sleeve. Getting the sleeve was the right call regardless of some post-op anxiety about such a big move.  Keep your head up and moving forward towards your goal.  Stay strong and stay focused!  

btownk
on 1/23/17 1:50 pm

You're right.  I know it was the right thing to do.  I just had a panic moment.  I feel much better today.  Working on getting my water n for the day, half way there.  I hope you are feeling better too!  Thank-you for the encouragement.

TeeFell
on 1/23/17 2:03 pm
VSG on 01/18/17

It's amazing how much better I feel about the decision when I started to feel better physically post op.  In the first 2-3 days when I was struggling to drink 3 sips of water I was full of regret.  Today I'm eating homemade soup like a "normal" person and suddenly feeling very positive about the decision.  Funny how the brain works!

Donna L.
on 1/22/17 10:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

We all freak out to start with :)

I was going out 1-2 months after surgery.  Was too sleepy before that to bother, heh.  I was able to eat a very small amount.  16 months later I basically can eat a full small meal if I really wanted to (6-8 ounces total volume) however I still measure and don't eat that much.  I have discovered that basically no one ever notices what we eat out at all.

Usually most of us complain about the reverse....that we can eat too much!  Capacity definitely increases.  Right now your tummy is swollen from surgery and it takes quite some time to go down.  We also eat real food slowly to allow it to heal with fewer complications.  Don't worry - you'll definitely be able to eat normally, smaller amounts, eventually. 

hollykim
on 1/23/17 8:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 23, 2017 at 6:46 AM Pacific Time, Donna L. wrote:

We all freak out to start with :)

I was going out 1-2 months after surgery.  Was too sleepy before that to bother, heh.  I was able to eat a very small amount.  16 months later I basically can eat a full small meal if I really wanted to (6-8 ounces total volume) however I still measure and don't eat that much.  I have discovered that basically no one ever notices what we eat out at all.

Usually most of us complain about the reverse....that we can eat too much!  Capacity definitely increases.  Right now your tummy is swollen from surgery and it takes quite some time to go down.  We also eat real food slowly to allow it to heal with fewer complications.  Don't worry - you'll definitely be able to eat normally, smaller amounts, eventually. 

I didn't freak out to start with. Not everyone does.

Lisa.17
on 1/23/17 1:00 am
VSG on 01/05/17

I'm two and a half weeks out and I know how you feel! There was/is definitely some freaking out going on with me too. I call it Trapped Flipping Dog Syndrome after those rescue shows where they put the loop around the dog's neck to save it and it loses its mind for a bit. lol

Feeling that way is normal at this stage but it will pass. It'll take a little time so try to be patient and keep reminding yourself you're okay. Everything will improve little by little, day by day. Right now is not your new reality. Where you are right now is simply the healing process. That takes some time and is gradual, but it'll get better. I think it's your body kind of being in shock at being wounded, combined with your mind being brought to such an abrupt stop from its former behavior. There's gonna be some chaos but try not to fight it. Go ahead and feel it, it won't kill you. Let it happen and flow through. Have faith in the knowledge this is helping and you will adapt and be just fine. Healthier, happier, and feeling much better. Good things are coming.

ItsTimeNow99
on 1/23/17 2:59 am

Having a VSG is life changing.  Not only is your body changing, but your mind has to change also.

Focus on why you decided to be sleeved - be healthier, resolve some health issues, feel better about yourself, etc.

All surgeons have different eating phases after surgery.  I was on Stage 3 when discharged from the hospital, which meant I could have protein shakes, Unjury chicken broth, yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites.  When I went for my 2 week follow-up visit, I moved to Stage 4 - dense proteins (i.e. chicken, turkey, lean ground beef).  That was heaven!It initially was difficult to consume more than 2 ounces, but even that amount was so satisfying.  Now 4 ounces is no problem at all.  Just before Thanksgiving I moved to Stage 5, which for me is eating most anything with the focus on protein first, then vegetables, and a small amount of starch if not full.  I weigh everything and log all my food intake in my fitness pal. I get 60 - 70 grams of protein a day from 650 calories.  I also drink 80 plus ounces of water every day.  Some days are more difficult than others, but being mindful of your protein and water should be top priority.

Before you know it, you will be seeing the results of your decision to sleeve and feel the sense of accomplishment your efforts bring.

Keep your chin up.

P.

HW -265; SW - 251; CW - 154

Surgery Date- 10/12/2016!!

btownk
on 1/23/17 2:05 pm

Thank-you.  Yes just need to take it one day at a time.  I have to be on stage 1 for the first week.  2 more days to go!

suzzzzz
on 1/23/17 8:04 am
VSG on 06/23/16

Don't panic. It truly does get better each day. Once your doctor has cleared you for solid foods, you can eat anything you want to. Make healthy choices to support getting WLS. Our sleeve is only a tool, we have to do our part.  For me it is an awesome tool. Eating protein first doesn't allow me to make bad choices because there just isn't room. I am 7 mths out and have been told the restriction will lessen over time so learning a new healthy lifestyle is a major goal.

As for eating out, I eat out a lot. If it is a new restaurant, I check the menu out ahead of time. There is always something to eat and I bring home leftovers for future meals. The first time I ate out was when I was week two. The restaurant put the chicken tortilla soup in the blender for me and the few spoonfulls I had were delicious!

Most Active