Talk to me about Protein Coffee!

akindofmagick
on 1/25/17 10:12 am - MD

I need recipes and ideas, please. I bought a large container of Chike several years ago, but after one failed attempt, am ashamed to admit I never could figure out what to do with it - finally threw it out.  I drink coffee every day; cappuchino on the weekends (I have a Nespresso machine and a milk frother****ep seeing "protein coffee" in the "Whatcha eating today?" threads, and I'm intrigued. Am currently on a mission to increase my daily protein intake from ~80 to ~100 grams, WITHOUT protein bars. I figure coffee is a good place to do this, altho I do drink a Premier Protein every morning, which is 30 grams, so I think I would have to have the protein coffee later in the day for best absorption.

TIA!!

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

Rachel B.
on 1/25/17 10:17 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I have a six shot espresso every morning and I love peppermint white mocha.  I found a WONDERFUL sugar free white mocha, and of course SF torani.  When I started back to eating right, I just drink my normal, LUSCIOUS coffee until its not scalding hot (I have a milk warmer/frother too) and weigh in a scoop of white chocolate ON whey and shake it in (I put a wire shaker ball in my metal thermos cup).  That gives me 24g.  I have also used Vanilla premier protein in the afternoon with black coffee.  But thats A LOT of coffee for all that cold vanilla

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

akindofmagick
on 1/25/17 1:14 pm - MD

SIX shots?!?! Eye-opening!  :) 

I have bottles of Torani syrups I've never used - using them in conjunction with Vanilla Premier Protein (VPP) as a whitener is a great idea.  How long does a container of VPP stay fresh after opening, I wonder? I usually only keep chocolate in the house, so would have to think about doctoring it up as a banana shake or something to use it all up before it went bad... or maybe pour it all into an ice cube tray.

THANKS SO MUCH!

happyteacher
on 1/27/17 3:20 am

Chocolate works well too- turns it into a mocha coffee.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/17 10:32 am - CA

You can also try this recipe using Premier Protein RTD Shakes

• ½ Vanilla or Chocolate Premier Protein RTD Shake (approx 5.5 oz)
  • ½ cup cold or room temperature brewed coffee
  • 1½ cups cubed ice
  • sprinkle with cacao nibs, for topping if desired
  • 1-3 drops stevia extract, if desired for additional sweetness.  

You can cut down on the coffee to a quarter cup to allow for more protein shake (and more grams of protein) to be used.   I am not a huge fan of cold coffee, but I have tried this and I like it.  

Nik

akindofmagick
on 1/25/17 1:16 pm - MD

Thanks, Nik. I'm not a huge fan of cold coffee, either - need something warm in the mornings to get me moving. I do like (or did) frappuchinos in the summer, though, so something to remember a couple of months from now. :)

pr31
on 1/25/17 11:06 am

I brew 3 cups of coffee in my 4 cup coffee maker and make it just a little stronger than I usually would drink.  I separately mix my protein powder (I like GNC vanilla cream) with very warm tap water (can't make it too hot or it will curdle).  I mix the protein drink with my brewed coffee and have a nice big yummy hot "cup" of coffee.  I have a super big mug that it all fits in.  

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

shelterdog64
on 1/25/17 12:06 pm
VSG on 06/21/16

I mix my unflavored protein with the cream or milk that I'm going to use in my coffee, then add that to the coffee.  I get 20-30 grams of protein with that simple addition.  If you don't use milk, mix it with a little warm water.

This morning, I made a London Fog for myself instead of coffee and did much the same...I made the tea as usual, mixed the protein powder into the almond milk then steamed and frothed it.  No lumps, no clumps!

Oneillch
on 1/25/17 7:52 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Just curious......what protein powder & how much are you using to get 20-30 grams of protein? Thanks.

Rachel B.
on 1/25/17 8:14 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Unjury can be used in warmed food & liquids up to about 130 degrees if I recall

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Most Active