Is your body *different* now?

shelterdog64
on 2/17/17 10:26 am
VSG on 06/21/16

I know, it seems like a weird question, because OF COURSE our bodies are different now :)  By definition, 180 is different than 260.

But what I mean is, have you lost weight this time from places that you never lost weight before?  Here's why I'm curious:  I've always had a heavy-leg, big butt body type, always that classic pear shape even when I was 'thin'.  As I'm losing this time, unlike the gazillion times with WW/Jenny/Zone/whatever, my butt is nearly GONE, and my legs are THIN.  Like, I can wear Frye knee high boots and Hunter rain boots, like normal women.  In fact, I almost walked out of one of my Hunters the other day and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this new body.

AND, if any of you have lost differently in the first year or so, did your weight re-distribute itself?  I guess I'm afraid I'm going to wake up one morning and be saddled with my canckles again.  I kinda miss my butt but I'd love to not see my grandmother's ankles on my body again!

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/17/17 11:39 am
VSG on 08/29/16

Heck yeah! I always thought that my lower body was normal and that I carried all of me weight up top.I'm blown away about the fact that I now have double handfuls of loose hanging skin on my inner thighs. I'm still big on top but where did my biceps go? My forearms are slightly smaller but much more defined when lifting. I always thought that I had a lot of fat on my upper back but it turns out that I'm a hunch back. I'm always so drawn to ringing bells and now I know why...

Rachel B.
on 2/17/17 11:43 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

When I first lost weight in 2008/2009, it was a general down-sizing.  I was still a DD.  Still had heavier thighs, in proportion, and a basketball butt.  This time, I am working with a trainer three days a week.  My abs are tight, my upper body has better definition and my lower body is stronger and, I believe, a little smaller than it was before.  My thighs still suck.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/17 12:15 pm, edited 2/17/17 4:16 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I agree, the weight loss is totally different this time. I was an apple shape, still am some what, but I have lost a lot around my rib cage. My legs and ankles are thin too, the upper inner thigh skin is sagging big time. My lower abdomen is gathering skin as well. It looks like a butt.  Speaking of butt, it is is squishy and saggy now. Into squats big time. Years ago I had a dr. ordered abdominoplasty due to a surgery I had to aid in exploration and boy, that is going to have to be a redo.  My shoulders are thin compared to other times I lost weight.  It is so surreal and hard to grasp all of the changes but I am ecstatic because i have energy and feel great.

KittyKarin
on 2/17/17 2:32 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

I really didn't notice a difference in where I lost weight until I lost more than 150 lbs.  These last 15 pounds that I have lost that I never managed to get below in the past 4 years since surgery has caused the biggest changes in my body.  I'm the same pear shape as you and my butt and thighs have definitely shrunk with these last 15 or 20 pounds. I can cross my legs with ease and they fit so much better together.  I still have issues with some knee high boots on my big calves but I can fit a lot more. 

And.... ok... this might be total TMI and I'm sorry if this is too much but...

I noticed that I have to be more mindful when I pee to actually push my legs together!! I know, I know, thats really weird but all of the sudden, I realized I had to specifically start telling myself to put my legs together when i pee so it doesn't go everywhere! LOL When you have had HUGE GARGANTUAN thighs like me, your thighs automatically touch and do the work for you.  Now i actually have to think about it. 

LMAO

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Readyjwc
on 2/17/17 2:42 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Thanks for making me laugh!

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

suzzzzz
on 2/17/17 3:08 pm
VSG on 06/23/16

YES. I have been thinking the same thing for a couple of weeks now! I have always been hourglass shape, except for the belly i grew a lot the past few years.. Now my hips are smaller than my shoulders and my but is no longer there.  Belly is still there. Guess I am looking more apple shaped.  As many times that I have lost weight over the years, this time is different.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/17/17 3:35 pm
VSG on 08/29/16
On February 17, 2017 at 11:08 PM Pacific Time, suzzzzz wrote:

YES. I have been thinking the same thing for a couple of weeks now! I have always been hourglass shape, except for the belly i grew a lot the past few years.. Now my hips are smaller than my shoulders and my but is no longer there.  Belly is still there. Guess I am looking more apple shaped.  As many times that I have lost weight over the years, this time is different.

Back in thday I had a friend who was fairly overweight just like me. The difference was that she was a girl. My friends wouldn't date her because she was "too big". I wouldn't date her because of her life choices. She came to a party one night and was feeling bad about herself. One of my buddies and I were talking about her and her mentioned that she was pretty but too big. I told him that she had that hourglass figure that he liked. He asked what I was smoking. I pointed out her shape and explained that she just had a 24 hour glass. He had a few more drinks of courage and went and asked her out. Flash forward about 2 years and they got married. She looked amazing. When they got together her confidence and self worth improved and she started losing weight. I saw them about 5 years ago and she was gorgeous. Don't worry, keep up what you are doing!

VSGAnn2014
on 2/17/17 4:01 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

(sigh)

Sweet, sweet story.  

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Laura in Texas
on 2/17/17 6:50 pm, edited 2/17/17 10:50 am

My body is pretty much the same shape now as it was when I was in my 20's (I'm 50 now). Big thighs, hourglass shape. Even though I am the same weight as I was in my 20's, my waist is 2 inches bigger now (27" vs 25"), but I blame that on getting old, dammit. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active