Pre-op qualifying exam???

Karen M #2
on 9/26/11 9:17 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 04/20/10 with

HW-328/SW-309/CW-163/GW-160
Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.  - Robert Collier

Follow me on Twitter!: Karen_M_2

Catnip
on 9/26/11 11:54 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Supergirl,

I am kind of surprized at your response.

As a DS'er I am sure you have read the stories about what happens when someone doesn't take supplements, or eat protien, or do their labs.

This isn't about totally denying someone care, it is about ensuring that they have been proactive enough to get the knowledge to keep themselves heathly long term. I am talking about somethng as simple as reading wls for dummies and the book by Barbara Thomson.  

When it is cancer, diabeties, and heart diease we have to be reactive,  this is about being proactive to prevent future problems.  Obesity is a horrible killer diease, but are we helping anyone if we give them surgery and they just develop other health problems because they didn't know how to look after themselves? Here is a question that will upset some but, has it become too easy to get WLS surgery?  I don't have the answers here, just more and more questions.

You're a Ds'er, you did your research and are proactive,  do you expect less of others?  I bet you take your supplements, moniter your protien and get your labs done. Some people are proactive, but there seem to be alot of people, who aren't getting the self directed education that they need (my opinion).  

I have no perfect solution and OHIP keeps forgetting to send me my invitation to policy meetings.  
:)
CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

hobbithands
on 9/27/11 12:13 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
I have to say I think that this post is narrow and close minded and yes you are being a meanie. 
I am very new on this journey like don’t even have an information date yet. 
However I am here reading posts asking questions reading everything I can. 
That does not mean that I do not take this seriously or that I am to dumb to have surgery. 
It means that I was brilliant enough to come to a board filled with knowledgeable people who are where I am or have finished the surgery and are on the road to the life they want.
I will continue to ask questions to read post as many and as loud as I can.
I take offence to the fact you say that those of us who do that, shouldn’t be allowed to follow our dream at a healthy happy life.
It's great you learned so quickly and you never in a moment of post surgery panic forgot or started to doubt everything that you were told or learned, however we cannot all be this perfect person.
I haven’t had gastric bypass however I have had some major surgery and although I was completely prepared I had moments of panic and self doubt.
So how dare you imply that people who are asking the questions and trying to be the most ready and informed that they can be should dial it back.
I say if you have questions ask them, if you need support ask for it and don’t ever feel you are irritating some holier than thou some.....it’s your surgery and your peace of mind!

Most Active
Recent Topics