Sleeve size vs RNY pouch size?

pinkypromise93
on 5/21/11 1:48 am
I am almost 3 weeks out so pretty new. I have been told that the RNY pouch and sleeve are very similar in size, but that the sleeve is made of the least stretchy part of the stomach. I can tell you that I can only eat 1/4 cup of food 3 times a day and I am stuffed. My surgeon said eventually I will tolerate a 1/2 cup, but the most I would ever be able to tolerate is 3/4 to 1 cup, which would be later on. I am not saying this goes for everyone, or that I am perfectly correct, just giving info relayed to me. :-) I'm sure some of the vet's will have more on this issue. ~ Robin

wert
on 5/21/11 1:55 am - MN
Pouch volume vs. sleeve volume? I don't know how to do that comparison. But I do know that right now, I have a whole lot of restriction.
And, as I understand, the pouch, because of the stomach tissue it's made of, can stretch. The sleeve, because it's the part of the stomach that doesn't stretch, is less likely to stretch. Not saying it WON'T stretch.

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I chose VSG over RNY is the malabsorption issue. I wanted restriction but not malabsorption. I have a fully functioning digestive system. The RNY folks don't. I expect to lose all the weight I want, and I expect to keep it off. Of course, it's all up to me and how I work my tool.

What are the RNY people saying? About the same? 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/21/11 3:45 am - OH
The RNY people who made the comments were indicating that the sleeve was larger than the pouch and based on the info sheet that one nof my clients showed me, they are about the same size , just differently shaped.  Most of the people who opted for RNY and had a choice of it or the sleeve (amny of us did not) say they had RNY because they wanted to be able to eat less (whihc is the part that makes no sense to me) or because they wanted the malabsorption to get the weight off more quickly... or because they did not KNOW that the caloric malabsorption with RNY was temporary.

If I had been given a choice 4 years ago, I would ahve opted for the sleeve because I *hated* the idea of the intestinal bypass (but a lap band was not going to work and the DS is even more malabsorption!)

Thanks for the info.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/21/11 3:48 am - OH
Thanks to all for the info. It at least generally confirms that what I understood... that the sleeve size is NOT bigger than the pouch (and may, in some cases, even be smaller).

The next time I go in to see my surgeon (my 4 year checkup in August) I will ask hger about it since she now does RNY and sleeve (and band.... but she stopped doing the DS because too many people were being noncompliant about vitamins and were becoming ill).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jenn H.
on 5/22/11 3:23 am - Portland, OR
 I have a friend who got RNY 3 weeks before me and she can eat nearly double the amount that I can in one sitting. 

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views