What are the right reasons?

Bella_Fein
on 1/1/13 11:57 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I love when people say that! Like it's that easy. Must be nice to be them!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Skys_Journey
on 1/1/13 12:07 pm
VSG on 09/17/12

I  Laughed out loud about your comment 

"...why can't you just stop eating so much. If this surgery is going to make you eat very little, why don't you just stop eating."....

Its not about the amount, because eventually you eat pretty normal sized meals, but still small and protein dense. The interesting thing about this surgery is that your metabolism and hormones change, meaning you burn instead of store fat, and etc. Its really cool how having less hunger hormone aids in the process.

If it were all about amount of food I should have lost alot of weight on my starvation diets. LOL Um,....didnt happen... that way.

Sky VSG: Sept 17th, 2012 Age: 25  Height: 5'1"

HW: 257 SW: 237 CW:172 GW: 117  TOTAL LOSS: 85LBS   

chubby_cinderella
on 1/1/13 12:19 pm
VSG on 01/28/13
Me too!!! I havebeen on many starvation diets, that's the problem! Wish I could have came back with a good comment like that! I just stood there looking at him like are you freakin kinding me! Thankfully my hubby was quick to defend me!

bibbitybobbityboo

Amanda F.
on 1/1/13 12:26 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

In my humble opinion, that is the perfect person for WLS. Have the surgery and lose the weight BEFORE you get the eventual co-morbidities that you would if you stayed the course.

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

chubby_cinderella
on 1/1/13 12:39 pm
VSG on 01/28/13
My thoughts EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

bibbitybobbityboo

Bella_Fein
on 1/1/13 8:49 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

My doctor thinks the same thing. Why put it off until something is wrong and then try and fix that too?

SuzyNZ
on 1/1/13 12:49 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I think that I was the healthiest MO person my surgeon had ever seen which is why he recommended sleeve rather than RNY.

Even at 169kg (360lbs), I was active, played sports etc.

My reasons had a lot more to do with vanity than health.

- Ive been single for most of my adult life. Why? Because the pool of men that are attracted to overweight women is pretty small and the pool that are taller than me (Im 6"1) is even smaller. I know that my weight has had a major impact on me meeting someone and in the last few years particularly, I really stopped putting myself out there because I got tired of being rejected because of my size.
- Because I haven't met anyone thanks to my size, at 40, I have pretty much missed my opportunity to have children. I have almost made peace with this now, but it will be without doubt the biggest and saddest regret of my life.
- I want to be able to wear trendy clothes. Im tired of the plus sized versions of fashion that just never look as good. And I want to have a "style" of my choice rather than what is available.
- I want to like summer instead of hating it. I never wear short sleeve clothes because of my fat arms, so summer always sucked as I was always sweltering hot because I felt I had to cover up most of my body.
- Im tired of being told I have a gorgeous face (with the unsaid "shame about the body)

None of these things have anything to do with co-morbidities or health, but they are totally the reason I paid for this surgery.

Are they the right reasons?? Honestly I couldnt give a **** what other people think. It was the right reasons for me and its the best damned money I ever spent

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Bella_Fein
on 1/1/13 8:52 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

They are the right reasons for you. That's what matters.

jenlaur1
on 1/1/13 12:49 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I think whatever your reasons are, are the right reasons for you. I think all of humanity in one way or another has been mindful of how they looked..their body or their clothes...can you imagine the cavewoman ug ugging to her man...do I look okay..does this fur pelt make my butt look big? lol  For me, I've always wanted to be skinny.  I used to be..as a teenager..but even then I had messed up idea of what I looked like.  I was tall and I was thin, but my friends were skinny, so I compared myself to them.  I thought I was fat at 115 lbs..at 125 lbs..even 130.  Man, what I'd give to be 115 again..but then..I will be ecstatic at 140 'cause maybe 115 now would be too thin.  --shrug--.  I just know..maybe I won't have to take so many pills..that I won't have to feel tired all the time, that my back won't feel like it's breaking when I'm cleaning the house or cooking for more than a half hour..that I'll be able to run and not feel like my lungs are on fire after two seconds.  I want my husband to be even more attracted to me..to feel like my husband is super attracted to me.  I have this desire to run the Boston Marathon some day.  Being thinner, being healthier..those are the right reasons for me..I even want to buy the cuter clothes..that I won't have to worry about horizontal or vertical stripes..that I can wear a tankini bathing suit and feel confident in it.  When one of my kids gets married, I'll be the sexy mom walking down that isle. enlightened  Who cares about those who caution or right or wrong reasons..you're the one who has to look yourself in the mirror..you know your reasons and that's all that matters. kiss

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Bella_Fein
on 1/1/13 8:53 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I am also one that has not been fat my whole life. I was skinny as a teen.. I thought I was huge at a whopping 130 pounds.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views