Unsupportive hubby: my email to him

claudiaes
on 10/8/13 7:59 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13
Why would they know what it takes?there is no reason for them to be educated about wls? no one is gets educated about ot unless you are a patient or doctor, even doctors tell you all the time that you need to diet and excersice, their first answer is never wls! They even say is a drastic measure, why would a common thin person have to know?!?! People can tell you anything to shut you up and agree with you buy most thin people will say to a fat person to diet and exercise and we all know that is the truth because most of us have been told that.
And by saying that a person is an idiot because they say that js easy way out is just as narrow minded as them or worse.

jimbovsg
on 10/8/13 8:23 am
On October 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM Pacific Time, claudiaes wrote:
Why would they know what it takes?there is no reason for them to be educated about wls? no one is gets educated about ot unless you are a patient or doctor, even doctors tell you all the time that you need to diet and excersice, their first answer is never wls! They even say is a drastic measure, why would a common thin person have to know?!?! People can tell you anything to shut you up and agree with you buy most thin people will say to a fat person to diet and exercise and we all know that is the truth because most of us have been told that.
And by saying that a person is an idiot because they say that js easy way out is just as narrow minded as them or worse.

this might be true for SOME regular "thin" people...but your hubby went to the meetings with you ...he should know better...or better yet if he supported you EDUCATE HIMSELF....he obviously did neither So he doesn't fall into this "i'm skinny I didn't know this was the case" category

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

TurnThePage
on 10/8/13 8:06 am, edited 10/8/13 8:06 am

Sorry you are having such a difficult time. In the end, you have to do this for you and you have to be willing to do it by yourself. Then if you get support from others, you can consider it a bonus. Do you have a therapist you can discuss this with?

One  point I noted--you said VSG has the highest success rate, but it does not. RNY patients lose and keep off a greater percentage of their excess weight. You may want to look into this further. 

Also, let hubby know that statistically less than 5% of the morbidly obese people who try to lose on their own by diet and exercise actually succeed in gaining and maintaining substantial weight loss. That's why you don't try to do it without surgery. 

Best wishes.

jimbovsg
on 10/8/13 8:36 am
On October 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM Pacific Time, TurnThePage wrote:

Sorry you are having such a difficult time. In the end, you have to do this for you and you have to be willing to do it by yourself. Then if you get support from others, you can consider it a bonus. Do you have a therapist you can discuss this with?

One  point I noted--you said VSG has the highest success rate, but it does not. RNY patients lose and keep off a greater percentage of their excess weight. You may want to look into this further. 

Also, let hubby know that statistically less than 5% of the morbidly obese people who try to lose on their own by diet and exercise actually succeed in gaining and maintaining substantial weight loss. That's why you don't try to do it without surgery. 

Best wishes.

Actually RNY and VSG have very similar stats with rate of weight-loss and  (%EWL)   RNY has pretty high long term regain rate....(VSG too new to determine this stat)  The DS has the best  OVERALL stats  % EWL  AND keeping it off long term ...resolution of co-morbidities etc.

MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

josiemorehouse
on 10/8/13 8:08 am - Villa Rica, GA

Thank you for the awesome feedback..hubby and I have differing view on this. I this what hurts the most. 3 days ago, he said he would back me 110%. Now it's like he wants nothing to do with it because it's 'the easy way out'.  I just want him to support me in my decision, and make sure that regardless, he'll still love me and want me the same as always. 

jimbovsg
on 10/8/13 8:28 am
On October 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM Pacific Time, josiemorehouse wrote:

Thank you for the awesome feedback..hubby and I have differing view on this. I this what hurts the most. 3 days ago, he said he would back me 110%. Now it's like he wants nothing to do with it because it's 'the easy way out'.  I just want him to support me in my decision, and make sure that regardless, he'll still love me and want me the same as always. 

take him to a seminar/support group meeting let him ask questions and educate himself.  There are several good ones here in GA My GF is on your friends list PM her she can let you know where some are!  mail

MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

TurnThePage
on 10/8/13 9:50 am

Jimbo, I beg to differ on the success rates of gastric bypass vs. gastric sleeve. They are not comparable. Here is just one ASMBS study, for example.  (Josie, sorry to hijack your thread, but I think this important for people to know.) 

"Gastric bypass resulted in the most average weight loss after one year. The average body mass index (BMI) after this procedure dropped by about 40 percent (47.7 to 31.2). Sleeve gastrectomy patients experienced about a 30 percent drop (47.5 to 34.1), while gastric band patients had a 20 percent reduction (45.1 to 37.5)."

- See more at: http://asmbs.org/2012/06/new-studies-weigh-in-on-safety-and-effectiveness-of-newer-bariatric-and-metabolic-procedure-sleeve-gastrectomy-demonstrates-weight-loss-and-safety-comparable-to-more-established-procedures/#sthash.A3ky8cFr.dpuf

jimbovsg
on 10/8/13 10:27 am
On October 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM Pacific Time, TurnThePage wrote:

Jimbo, I beg to differ on the success rates of gastric bypass vs. gastric sleeve. They are not comparable. Here is just one ASMBS study, for example.  (Josie, sorry to hijack your thread, but I think this important for people to know.) 

"Gastric bypass resulted in the most average weight loss after one year. The average body mass index (BMI) after this procedure dropped by about 40 percent (47.7 to 31.2). Sleeve gastrectomy patients experienced about a 30 percent drop (47.5 to 34.1), while gastric band patients had a 20 percent reduction (45.1 to 37.5)."

- See more at: http://asmbs.org/2012/06/new-studies-weigh-in-on-safety-and-effectiveness-of-newer-bariatric-and-metabolic-procedure-sleeve-gastrectomy-demonstrates-weight-loss-and-safety-comparable-to-more-established-procedures/#sthash.A3ky8cFr.dpuf

One year is not long enough to get a "true" idea or data on this as industry standards are 5+ years to be considered "long term" MORE IMPORTANTLY most WLS people know the malabsorption component stops at 18-24 months with the RNY so this is when MANY RNY patients start to regain! Newer studies suggest this also......one reason I DIDN'T choose RNY    check out this link .........   http://www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx?id=2016

MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

jimbovsg
on 10/8/13 10:44 am
On October 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM Pacific Time, TurnThePage wrote:

BTW if you read FURTHER ALONG in your study you quoted...It states there is NO statistical difference in %EWL  between the sleeve and RNY in the years 2-5 Lol!  Need to do your homework!  Did you have RNY?? If NOT...might wanna consider the FACTS and evidence

Read for yourself!  

A third study on sleeve gastrectomy conducted by the Naval Medical Center in San Diego found while gastric bypass patients lost more of their excess weight after the first year, 72.3 percent versus 63.7 percent, there were no statistically significant differences in excess weight loss after two and five years. This study examined 486 patients, half had gastric bypass and half had sleeve gastrectomy.

“Sleeve gastrectomy has proven itself to be a safe and effective option in patients with morbid obesity and this procedure should be considered a primary procedure for weight loss and obesity-related disease improvement and resolution,” said Robin Blackstone, MD, President ASMBS.

MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

TurnThePage
on 10/8/13 10:55 am, edited 10/8/13 10:55 am

That ship has sailed. I had RNY.  

Yes, I fully understand the malabsorption period is limited. However, I was unwilling to have a surgery that had a relatively limited track record, and by the majority of the statistics I found, had a lower success rate. (I do research for a living, but thanks for the citations.)

Everyone has to make their own decision, based on a variety of factors.  As long as we are each happy with our decision, no need to preach to the choir. The main thing is that we've taken control of our weight and our health, so YAY for us!   An extra big yay for you losing 350 lbs! Wow.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views