If you had it to do over again....

shrinking_sarah
on 1/2/14 7:24 am - CA

I don't know that I'd do anything differently, other than maybe accept that I'm not going to be perfect.  That is not to say we shouldn't aim for perfection, but I wasted a lot of time feeling bad when I wasn't perfect instead of just going, "well, that was dumb" and moving on.

But I also think this is a journey that you have to experience.  There are absolutely "phases" that pretty much everyone goes through, and you have to experience them rather than just read about them to avoid them. 

Feel free to look at my blog posts.  I was pretty faithful about updating every month and adding a little note about where my head was at the time, etc.

Here is something that I wish I'd accepted early on:  this is a lot more work than you think it will be.  I know that pre-op, I'd look at the 600 calorie plans and thing, "yeah, right, no one really does that."  Yes, yes they do.  Not forever, but for a good long while.  It's not a joke, it's not the dr. telling you less calories to compensate for when you cheat, that really is the plan (or whatever calorie level your plan is). 

Strive to eat clean and move every day.  Try new things.  I was very intimidated to go to group exercise classes, but now I love them and they force me to get better workouts.  I started the new year at a 3-hour yoga class!  I don't even do yoga regularly, it was just something a friend invited me to that was free and it was AWESOME.  Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and explore while learning what you enjoy doing. 

This is the best thing I've ever done for myself.  I have no regrets.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

jujubslim
on 1/2/14 7:39 am
VSG on 03/17/14
Thanks, yoga is something I want to do. I've heard so many great things but I'm so intimidated going to a class. I think I'll start with some video yoga for beginners. My cable company has them on demand for free
cappy11448
on 1/2/14 7:42 am

If you can lose weight before the surgery, you'll be so happy you did later on. 

My program had us start eating the post- surgery diet before surgery.  This meant eating 3 meals a day, avoiding snacks.  Each meal was 3 to 4 ounces of dense protein, and all the healthy low-carb veggies I wanted.  My diet also allowed 1/2 cup of starch per meal, but I did not eat the  starch because I know carbs cause food cravings for me.  I lost 50 pounds pre-surgery doing this, and I'm so glad I did.

Practice eating slowly, taking small bites, avoiding water before and after meals, eating dense proteins first.  I didn't, and after surgery, if you eat too fast, it really hurts.  I wish I had got in the habit before the surgery.

Measuring and logging food is really helpful.  Its good that you are doing this already.

If you are struggling with food cravings, try cutting carbs.  For me, it was essential.  I can't manage my cravings if I eat carbs.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.  It is not easy, but it is so worth it.  I am so happy with my sleeve.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

jujubslim
on 1/2/14 7:56 am
VSG on 03/17/14
Thanks Carol. My doctor put me on a 1500 calorie diet and I've been pretty good sticking to it. Not eating and drinking has been a challenge, I'm starting gradually to wait after I eat before I drink, I'll get there. It's just retraining myself. Same with carbs, I'm weaning myself. Also I'm trying to eat slowly and really chew my food and I only eat off a small salad plate to reduce my portions. I have noticed eating as slowly like this has helped. I feel satisfied with the smaller portion. Thanks Judy
hollirrose
on 1/2/14 10:25 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I don't think I would change anything. I went hardcore all the way to goal. 600-800 calories, less than 20 carbs, more than 64 oz of water a day. I weigh, measure, log, and track all my food in myfitness pal. Like you, I could lose weight but couldn't keep it off. I was a pudgy kid, fat teen, and obese adult. I never knew "skinny". I lost 200lbs in a year. I have maintained my weight for several months. I wear a flippin size 4! Yep, wouldnt change a thing.
jujubslim
on 1/2/14 10:42 am
VSG on 03/17/14
That's amazing. You look fabulous!
Joy M.
on 1/4/14 1:08 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

I would have done it sooner. Thats pretty much it. I'm so thankful I haven't weighed this little in over 13 years. Good luck on your weight loss journey.

linzeelee
on 1/4/14 1:34 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
I would have done it sooner. I would have started strength training as soon as I was cleared after surgery. I would have taken a video of myself before surgery describing all the reasons I was doing this. I would have been more consistent with taking my measurements. I would have started a blog pre-op and tracked my journey better. Really, that's it. I'm thankful every single day for my VSG.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

pineview01
on 1/4/14 5:14 pm - Davison, MI

I did have it to do over!  I had the lap band for almost 4 years.  When I was getting it removed and working on the sleeve, I went back to Atkins, the only way I can lose.  I was able to get 60 pounds off.  The band came out and 30 went back on but, trying hard I was able to turn around the gain and get 10 back off before surgery.  So this time instead of thinking I'll just eat everything until surgery, I worked hard core to stick to it BEFORE surgery.  

I was doing hard physical labor so as was pointed out above the extra muscle made a big difference.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views