Is depression normal after VSG?

Beth35
on 1/5/14 6:59 am
I had my surgery Nov. 4 and I had a hard time the first couple of weeks, mostly because there was nothing I could eat besides protein shakes, chicken broth, and jello. I was pretty bummed, but it started to get better once I got the ok to go to soft foods. I started to feel human again. I'm starting to feel better week after week, and seeing the scale going down makes it worth it! I know it's tough right now, but keep thinking about what the end result is going to be. You're going to feel like a million bucks! Keep hanging on.
Tata64
on 1/5/14 7:51 am

This sounds to me like normal or part of the process that nobody tells you about. I bet there are a lot of more people out there who go through this and won't  say a word. I started feeling the same way 3 days after surgery I start crying and wished I never had this surgery if I known all the negatives that I know now. My surgery went well no problem, my first weeks went fine, then I got a awful rash now I'm better after going to see my doc and gave me steroids for 7 days. Now I'm having pins and needles feeling all over my body on and off. The eating part was going well but at times I feel nauseated , I can drink water and protein shakes fine with no problem. Tomorrow I see my surgeon for a 2 month follow up, I will be talking to him. Someone out there please tell me it gets better.... That's what my family tells me, I pray a lot and have faith God will turn this around. I know 2 ladies who got sleeved and are fine.  

Tata64
on 1/5/14 8:03 am

This sounds to me like normal or part of the process that nobody tells you about. I bet there are a lot of more people out there who go through this and won't  say a word. I started feeling the same way 3 days after surgery I start crying and wished I never had this surgery if I known all the negatives that I know now. My surgery went well no problem, my first weeks went fine, then I got a awful rash now I'm better after going to see my doc and gave me steroids for 7 days. Now I'm having pins and needles feeling all over my body on and off. The eating part was going well but at times I feel nauseated , I can drink water and protein shakes fine with no problem. Tomorrow I see my surgeon for a 2 month follow up, I will be talking to him. Someone out there please tell me it gets better.... That's what my family tells me, I pray a lot and have faith God will turn this around. I know 2 ladies who got sleeved and are fine.  

sleevegirl
on 1/5/14 11:52 am - Austin, TX

You're like 2.5 weeks out and you're still adjusting. This is a HUGE thing and yes, it's normal. Let yourself feel it, wallow in it for a while and then move on.

I will tell you that about 18 months after my surgery I hit a REALLY bad patch of depression. I was completely and utterly apathetic to everything. Therapy was only doing so much. I'm now on Zoloft and doing MUCH better. Eventually maybe I can get off of it, but for now... baby steps.

Hang in there, this is still all very new for you and it's a fragile time. Your fat stores estrogen, and you're losing fat quickly so your hormones are going to be whacked out. Just love yourself.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views