1st post - sleeved on 5/12!

Catwoman77
on 5/17/14 7:12 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Thanks Gwen! I just posted on your victory thread that you are one of the members that really inspired me while I was lurking during my pre-op phase.  Thanks for the advice re:trend weight and miralax. The milk of magnesia has really done a number on me, I've been going constantly since taking it last night.  I'm hoping it runs it's course soon! I've never taken anything like it before...it definitely works,  lol!

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

Gwen M.
on 5/17/14 8:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The comment you left was super sweet.  It really made my day, so that you!  

Milk of magnesia sounds sort of like the nuclear option - but... at least you're going?  I guess? Remember to drink lots of liquids, because diarrhea is a dehydrator!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

txchica70
on 5/17/14 12:37 pm

Hooray for you Catwoman!! We are sleeve sisters... attaching my story posted from revision boards. Glad things are going so smoothly....

Lap Band 9/2007 by Dr Spivak in Houston: 20 lb weight loss immediately after band. Lost another 60 with running, boot camp, exercise and benefit of band as tool to eat less. Reached weight of 135 and felt great, but intermittent episodes of severe restriction, vomiting. Dr Spivak had moved out of the country and his website directed his patient to the physicians at TLC Surgery in Houston. Made an appointment with Dr Sherman Yu. Found out in July that my esophagus and pouch were dilated and i had reflux esophagitis (asymptomatic). All fluid had to be removed from band and I returned to bad habits. Gained 50 lbs back and felt miserable. I was approved for band removal and revision to sleeve right away, but I chickened out and canceled my surgery in February thinking I could do it on my own. Wrong! i rescheduled and had my revision on 5/12/14 at Park Plaza Hospital. In the hospital, I received IV acetaminophen, dilaudid PCA and the On-Q painbuster ball. I walked 4 hrs after surgery and went home around noon the next day. The staff at PPH was amazing. Dr Yu gave me prescriptions for pain and nausea meds at my preop appt so it would be available when I got home from the hospital. He also is using new compounded lotions/creams for scar, nausea and pain which I am using as well. It is pod#4 today and feel great!! Of course, I have some incisional pain, but I really cannot complain at all. The last time I took pain meds was 2 days ago. I was sent home with the On-Q pain ball and removed it myself on pod#2. No nausea or vomiting, able to drink without problems. I drove myself to the movies yesterday and walked 2 miles today. I hope I'm not speaking too soon and jynxing myself, but I really don't think so. I just wanted to put a positive experience out there for those folks who have heard the horror stories. Best of luck to all!

Catwoman77
on 5/17/14 2:09 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Wow txchica,  sounds like you are doing amazing!  I just went out for the first time this afternoon to Lowe's with my husband and, while I did ok and was glad to get out of the house,  I did wear out quickly!  It sounds like you've been through an ordeal with the band! When I went to my initial orientation meeting I was thinking I would do the band, but my surgeon discouraged it. I have a friend with the band who has been very successful, but it seems like the potential for future issues is high, even for those who successfully lose weight like you.  Hope your recovery continues to go great.  Glad to have a sleeve sister on the boards!  :-)

Mme0x
on 5/17/14 3:51 pm - Ocala, FL

I really needed this .. Thanks

Catwoman77
on 5/17/14 4:48 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Mme0X - I'm so glad you found it helpful!  Are you still in the considering phase?  If there is anything specific you want to know about the experience,  let me know.  I was so nervous about surgery and it was really much less frightening in reality than I expected!  :-)

Mme0x
on 5/18/14 12:23 am - Ocala, FL

Yes ... I was decided and then I saw some awful leak stories 😬 and I'm still pretty much considering another factor holding me back is trying to find a good surgeon . I'm in ocala florida and really want someone close and so far I've only found dr ramos and dr jawad... I just want someone with experience 

Kelly Jean
on 5/17/14 9:25 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Congrats on what a great begining your having that's so awesome !!!! ( except the bathroom part...that's a pain in the butt) pun intended.. lol but you took care of that.... As far as the weight and scale congrats on not weighing yet...that's smart... I could do it I had to step on.. and Like Gwen I step on every day...Some frown upon it and I can understand why..The stalls will make you nuts... but it's me and how I do it... this way when I'm having a bad water day or protien day or what ever I can see the effects !!! Your lucky u will start puree on Tuesday...wow all surgeon are different. . I was on clear liquid for 1 week then liquids for 1 weeks the full liquids for almost 2 weeks, pureed for 2 weeks a just the other day Thursday became regular soft food... it was a killer... lol 

Best of luck on your journey. ..and congrats!!!

Catwoman77
on 5/18/14 5:18 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Hi Kelly Jean! Wow, your surgeon's program is definitely stricter.  Mine doesn't really have a full liquids phase - it was 4 days of clears only, then 4 days of clears + protein shakes,  then hopefully purees.  But the puree stage is 3 weeks,  so I think the advancement to regular soft foods will happen at the same time - about 4 weeks out. I did finally give in and weigh today - 263! :-) That's 11 lbs in just under a week!  I'm so excited! 

Mme0X,  I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge on surgeon's in Florida.  I went with the program at the hospital local to me, and was lucky to find they were a center of excellence and had a very highly rated program in MA. I got the ratings information from Heath Grades which I found through googling the center.  Maybe try searching the Internet for reviews of the surgeon's you are considering?  Also check reviews on this site.  Leaks are scary!  And they do happen,  but I'm making sure to follow my surgeon's plan to the letter so as not to increase my leak risk,  and otherwise just hoping for the best.  They are pretty rare - as you are looking into surgeon's,  you can ask them what their leak rate is. Good luck making your decision! 

Kelly Jean
on 5/18/14 5:22 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Wooooo hooooo of 11 lbs in 1 week plus remember u also lost the iv fluids ....that's so awesome congrats!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views