Planning on surgery - Questions for those 6+ months out...

AngloAm
on 6/14/14 12:19 pm

I know, at the grocery store (I'm three weeks out!) I did a slow walk through the produce section looking at all the lovely fresh spring vegetables and thinking - one day/soon. I really want to try watercress and sautéed bok choy, and fennel bulb, and and and.

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

Linda B.
on 6/14/14 4:48 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I am 21 months out, I eat raw veggies for snacks most of the time. I started with mushrooms and tomatoes at about 3 months because they are softer. I added others a few at a time. So far, nothing that I like bothers me. Don't try before they are allowed on your DR's plan, your smaller stomach will need time to heal.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

happyteacher
on 6/14/14 11:48 pm

I used to joke saying I have a sleeve of steel- I tolerate everything.  The only thing I have issues with is a few months ago I noticed that hard cooked eggs were making my stomach unhappy.  Prior to surgery I didn't eat a lot of veggies. Post sleeve, it is all I want to eat. Everything you isted above, except a few items I am allergic to, are absolutely no problem for .  I crave them actually.  It is weird- the 6 weeks post op forces clean eating and it was enough time for my brain and tastes to completely rewire.  I started craving salads before I reached the 6 week mark when I could actually eat them... and that hasn't changed. So no worries about veggies. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Bufflehead
on 6/15/14 12:24 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My surgeon has a very conservative progression, and I wasn't allowed any raw veggies until six months out. I could have small amount of raw fruit starting 2 months out, but it had to be soft enough to cut with a fork. I followed my surgeon's plan and did not push his limits. I have tried just about everything you have mentioned except maybe grapefruit and I have had absolutely no problems tolerating any of them.

That said, I keep my portions of veggies small and fruit has been rare so far, just because I don't have room for those things while eating protein first and low carb. I'm actually about to try switching things up and eating a bit higher carb (complex carbs only) for the next several weeks due to cholesterol issues, but for the past year I've been focused on eating in a way to maximize my weight loss and health, not eating things because I like them or they are my favorite foods. I do enjoy the food I eat, but that isn't my priority when planning meals.

MacMadame
on 6/15/14 11:17 am - Northern, CA

I never had any issues with any vegetables, raw or cooked. I had some nice ones for dinner tonight, in fact. They were somewhat cooked but still pretty crisp.

However, now that I am at goal, I don't stuff myself with vegetables in order to keep myself from eating other foods I'd rather have like I did when I was constantly "watching my weight". You may also find you don't want to eat as many vegetables as you do now. Especially that first year, once I got all my protein in, there wasn't a lot of room for much else.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views