Triathlons & Half Marathons

michellemj
on 7/23/14 11:41 pm

As comparison, I'm nearly 4yrs out, so things may be a bit different, but I just started running in Feb and completed my first Half in May. Have another half planned in Oct.

I found that PowerGels do ok with my system, but I be sure to take with lots of water. I don't care for Gus. Too thick and sticky. There are also gummy things but I didn't like the texture when I was running. Buy a few different brands in different flavors and experiment (close to a bathroom) while you are training and see what you like and don't like. It's similar to protein shakes, everyone is different!

I'm not fast and do a run/walk style (run 3 min, walk 1 min) and average about a 11:30-12min mile. It's never been about time for me...it's about changing my life and doing something that I never ever would have thought about before. and hey, you get to enjoy the course for longer. :)

Dehydration wise, I haven't had problems, but I'm VERY careful. Prerace and all long training runs, I be sure to drink extra Smar****er (at least 200oz) for at least 2 days prior (I normally drink ~120 oz of water daily, plus any coffee and such). and night before, I switch to full sugar G2 or powerade and drink 32-64oz. Some of my nonWLS have issues with dehydration and it isn't fun. I def want to avoid it.

Good luck and more importantly, HAVE FUN!

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Most Active