Does the sleeve work well for those with a higher bmi?

ElizaM
on 10/31/14 1:46 am
VSG on 07/24/14

My BMI was 60 at my consult and 50 at surgery. I am three months out and really happy with my progress so far. My blood sugar is perfect post-op. I'm not sure if my initial weight loss could be much faster. From what I've seen, I think high BMI people can be very successful with the sleeve as long as they stick to the plan. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Nikke2003
on 10/31/14 1:49 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Yes, the sleeve can certainly work for those with a higher BMI. I started at 444 lbs with a BMI of 63. I'm currently at 191 lbs with a BMI of 27.5 or something like that.... so it can be done!

It's been a tough road... it's tough to stay strong mentally knowing you have much farther to go than others (when you start out at a higher weight), but it is certainly worth it - at least it is to me. I would make this decision over and over again - and I would keep choosing the sleeve.

There are lots of pictures and information about my process on my blog if you're interested. The address is in the signature line!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Valerie G.
on 10/31/14 3:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It really depends on how your body reacts to eating less.  If you know in your heart of hearts that eating less is all you need to lose your weight, then the VSG is a fantastic tool. 

If you think your metabolism is in play - and usually against you, then you may want to consider a procedure that inludes malabsorption like the duodenal switch (which has a sleeve stomach) or the RNY

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 10/31/14 3:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My BMI started at 54.7.  Now, 7.5 months post-op, it's at 35.5.  So I definitely feel that this can work for those with a high BMI.  I'm super close to being ineligible for WLS - can't wait for that goal! :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

ald731
on 10/31/14 6:01 am
VSG on 04/07/14

I'm 5'3" and my BMI was 57 at the start. I'm about 6.5 months post-op and I'm down to 220 (BMI 39.1). My goal is a normal-range BMI and I have every intention and expectation of reaching that - something I never thought was possible before WLS.

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

changingmylife4ever
on 10/31/14 9:45 am

I am 5' only, started at 291, BMI somewhere in above 53 or so, now weigh 162. Yes, it is possible. I am over a little over a year out, and still loosing. I have only stalled 1 time for 2 weeks. I mostly lose 1 lb a week now, but that is OK as long as I am loosing. This surgery works if you stay on your doctors plan. I have not regretted this ever. Oh, yea, I am 60 years young.

themexcellentone
on 10/31/14 2:12 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I'm still in WL mode.  At my heaviest, I was 440 pounds with a BMI of 75.5.

Now I'm a hair over 210 pounds, with a BMI of 36.2.

So yep, I'd say it works well for those with high BMIs, provided that doctor's directions are followed, support groups are attended, therapy is ongoing, food related behaviors are changed, relationships with food are analyzed and changed, and activity levels are increased considerably.  All of these are things I've done to get where I am now.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Luvs2Cruise
on 10/31/14 2:57 pm, edited 10/31/14 3:00 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

I'll chime in here. At my highest, my BMI was 84.5!!!   I am 5'1".  I just hit GOAL this week. One year surgiversary was yesterday.  

It has taken work, but totally do able for me. I refused to be one of those who settle and never reach goal.  So, I kept on the straight path 100% of the time.  My classification was SSMO (super, super morbidly obese).  I have now lost over 300 pounds!!!

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

pengworm
on 11/1/14 4:47 pm

Wow everyone thank you SO much!!!!!! Reading this is just what I needed. I did an online calculator thingee that said I could expect to get to around 190 pounds. While that number sounds amazing right now (the lowest I vividly remember being was 220 and I felt great) I still was curious if it was realistic to be able to get lower.

To be honest I'd rather be at one ninety or two hundred and not have to stress about my weight than to get down to one fifty and be constantly worried about food and weight. I've lived my entire life that way and that isn't how I want to live. Don't get me wrong I'm more than happy to do what I need to do, I just don't want to be obsessive. My dream is to live life like an average person who just eats to live instead of it running their life like it does mine.

Thanks again guys, you are all such inspirations!

frisco
on 11/2/14 1:45 am
On November 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM Pacific Time, pengworm wrote:

Wow everyone thank you SO much!!!!!! Reading this is just what I needed. I did an online calculator thingee that said I could expect to get to around 190 pounds. While that number sounds amazing right now (the lowest I vividly remember being was 220 and I felt great) I still was curious if it was realistic to be able to get lower.

To be honest I'd rather be at one ninety or two hundred and not have to stress about my weight than to get down to one fifty and be constantly worried about food and weight. I've lived my entire life that way and that isn't how I want to live. Don't get me wrong I'm more than happy to do what I need to do, I just don't want to be obsessive. My dream is to live life like an average person who just eats to live instead of it running their life like it does mine.

Thanks again guys, you are all such inspirations!

I feel the need to chime in with what I've learned to be true about the subject(s).

VSG for a high BMI "can" work.... But understand in overall reality it's a very low percentage that do well.

In the big picture the point is to lose weight and more importantly.... Keep the weight off that you lost. What really is the point if we don't lose the weight and we gain back what we lost.... Which happens many more times than someone losing 200+ lbs? and keeping it off.

The positive responses you have received in this thread are very real from the upper percentile. I assure you it's not the normal or even close to the average.

It helps if you go to a surgeon that specializes in high BMI patients and has the success rate that parallels your intentions.

It helps if you go to a surgeon that does all three surgeries.... VSG, RNY and the DS

The VSG is not a standardized procedure and regardless of what you read, all sleeves are not created equal. Sure patient compliance is a huge factor..... But so is the power of the surgery.

High BMI patients should really study up on the DS procedure..... Not a common WLS and not offered by most programs, but a very powerful tool that takes a lot of knowledge and effort to be good at it.

Lastly, I don't know where your getting the idea that 200lbs is going to be easier to maintain than 150lbs. What I've learned is that it takes the same effort to maintain either/any weight.

Managing food and monitoring your weight is called "maintenance" and it doesn't matter what weight it is as it takes the same knowledge and effort.

Hope I'm not a downer.... Just didn't want you to get the idea that this was some sort of one size fits all "fix".

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question