Dumping?

Grim_Traveller
on 2/22/15 8:51 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If you think no harm was done, you're wrong. Eating ice cream a week and a half after surgery is a big, big deal.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gwen M.
on 2/22/15 11:47 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It is a big deal. Are you seeing a therapist?  Self sabotage this early out because of boredom is something that you need to address immediately. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 2/23/15 1:06 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Jack, Jack, Jack .....

First, I have a difficult time believing that you would come on here and try to justify eating ice cream at less than 2 weeks out.  You can't, so stop it.  You know better than that!  Ice cream is to be PERMANENTLY off your food plan during weight-loss mode.  Some people will never eat it again even in maintenance.  I've had it in maintenance and honestly, I don't like the way it makes me feel anymre.  Totally not worth it.  

Second, putting sugar into your body right now (even with artificial sweeteners) will cause your body to dump insulin into your bloodstream.  This signals your liver to store the calories floating around - healthy or not - as FAT!  Yup, it is totally possible to increase your fat stores while only eating 500-700 calories a day.  Sure you didn't gain any weight - it's almost impossible to do that at this point.  But that doesn't mean you didn't add to the fat stores in your body.  

Third, eating so severely off plan like this at less than two weeks is a huge red flag - HUGE!  It speaks to not being mentally prepared to make long-long changes to your eating habits; it speaks to a rebellious, non-compliant nature; it speaks to eventual failure to achieve a healthy weight.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  surgery doesn't fail people; people fail their surgery.  You just failed yourself in a big way.  Don't do it again and get some help to work on the emotional/mental issues.  Because we've all got 'em.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ElizaM
on 2/23/15 10:23 am
VSG on 07/24/14

We are so lucky to have you, Tracy, because you save me so much typing! Pretty much after every post, I just smile and nod and mentally go "What she said, exactly." 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/23/15 5:04 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If you're bored with your food choices already and thin**** cream is an option so soon after surgery, it is a big deal.

Most of us are emotional eaters or eat out of boredom.  These are demons we need to conquer in order to be successful long term.  Five days ago you posted that you weren't hungry.  I can't understand why you would make such a poor food choice.

Follow.  Your.  Plan.   Your goal should be to optimize your weight loss after surgery, not add ice cream because you're bored with liquids.  Find different ways to make the liquids tolerable.  There are hundreds of ideas, suggestions, recipes, etc. for different liquid variations that are compliant with post WLS.   You won't be on liquids forever but you need to be on them after surgery so your suture line can heal.

I hope you're doing better and rethinking your choices.   Best of luck.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

karlykay
on 2/22/15 10:46 am

Were you tolerating eggs before you ate the ice cream? If so, the ice cream probably just didn't sit well and your stomach might be irritated for a couple of days. As others have said, probably still too early for eggs, definitely  too early for ice cream. But what's done is done. I'm almost five weeks out and I ate something spicy and felt terrible afterward and the next day, everything I ate made me feel awful even things I'd been eating all along with no troubles. So I went back to the full liquid diet for two days and now I feel much better. But I hear ya, I'm a little scared to try anything new ever again because that was no fun. Feel better.

Angie2015
on 2/22/15 12:50 pm

I had surgery the same day as you and am still on liquids. I don't get to have an egg till March 4th! It is written on my calendar! So ur body maybe telling you it is not ready for "real" food. 

mickeymantle
on 2/22/15 1:55 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

all plans are different I was allowed any food at 2 weeks but told to start with softer stuff , no problems with any food

Im 1 1/2 years out and only had a lick of my hubbies ice cream , it is a bad habit  to start eating all that slider food so early

it just flow right out of your stomach and is a ton of wasted calories  

now you should be working on protien if you need some thing sweet have a shake or some sf puddling with protien powder added

or better yet chocolate yogurt with protien added

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Luvmygs
on 2/23/15 12:04 am
VSG on 12/04/14

You're only 2 weeks post op, I can't remember? I was still on liquids moving into puree stage. I didn't have eggs until the soft food stage and now that I'm 3 months post op, I'm just now having Almond Mil**** cream. You still need to allow your new stomach to heal. Be patient, its really worth it. We sleever's don't get dumping, but certain foods that aren't tolerable early on can make you sick. Good luck.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/23/15 1:48 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Dumping only happens with RNY, not with VSG.

Many people have a lot of trouble with eggs. I had one well into my "soft solids" phase and it made me feel like death, though I can tolerate them just fine now.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views