Food addiction... 3 weeks out

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/29/15 11:51 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Yes it definitely can be hard sometimes. I try to psych myself out sometimes with a yes you can have it, just not right now, then I'd distract myself with doing something else, hopefully the craving passes or just not feel so overwhelming that I can't say no. I try to keep the big picture in mind & remind myself yeah I can do this, one day at a time, 1 meal at a time. 

You can do this!, but if it gets too bad seek help, either a therapist or a support group whatever. The head thing can be a real pain to get over & talking it out with others can help, not to mention getting some pointers to get thru it. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Demonkarebear04
on 3/31/15 7:04 am

I think I'm going to take a stab at the support group the bariatric doctors offers. It's a bit of a drive, but to get my head wrapped around how insane I am, it may be necessary lol

Stacy_WLS
on 3/29/15 11:53 am

Recognizing it is great.  Fighting the addiction is, imho, much harder than losing the weight.  If you do not give the addiction the healing attention required I think we are doomed to gain back the weight.  

I have found oa ( overeaters anonymous) and therapy to be very helpful.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Gwen M.
on 3/29/15 11:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I highly recommend adding a therapist to your obesity recovery team. The surgery works on our stomachs, but we've still got to work on our heads. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

changingmylife4ever
on 3/29/15 7:34 pm

I was self pay, so in the beginning when I would look at those types of goodies, I just imagined I would literally be eating dollar bills. It got through the first few weeks/months. After I had not eaten them for a while, I didn't want them any longer. I have not had the first bite of desserts, cookies, candy or ice cream in 17 months now. I can say I licked the addiction. I really believe, personally, it is like having a drug or alcohol addiction, one bite and I will be hooked again. I don't feel deprived at all. I just don't have a taste anymore. I do eat SF pudding, jello and no sugar added fudge pops. No, they don't  make me want the real thing.

Hislady
on 3/30/15 6:32 am - Vancouver, WA

There is absolutely nothing wrong with adding therapy to your agenda whether it be a few sessions or a few years. It can only help and give you more tools in your tool box! Most of us didn't get here because we look at food like normal folks. we see food as comfort or reward instead of nutrition and fuel!

Demonkarebear04
on 3/31/15 7:06 am

Tools in this toolbox are exactly what I need!!! And you are very right, most of us had a pretty abnormal relationship with food. I've scheduled an appointment with a counselor to see if maybe they have some ideas I can work with.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/30/15 9:32 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I found that therapy, support groups and posting on OH were vital to my weight loss efforts.  I am an emotional eater, binge eater, food junkie.  Until I examined and dealt (and continue to examine and deal) with my food issues, I'm at risk for reverting back to destructive eating patterns.

The best thing you can do is consider therapy.  Until we deal with our food demons, the battle for control of what we put into our bodies is going to feel overwhelming.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

psychoticparrot
on 3/30/15 11:14 am

When my husband and I eat out, it's very hard to leave delicious food on the plate (though I bag it if it's something I can eat later). Your eyes and brain are saying, "Eat, eat! What's the matter with you?" Your sleeve is saying, "There is no way that food coming down here." It's a very confusing and distressing mental and physical conflict.

I find it only happens when I'm surrounded by an abundance of food -- restaurants, dinners with friends, holidays, and, as in your case, special occasions. When I cook at home, I make a balanced meal and measure my portions out on a very small plate. Much, much easier to handle.

Although I'm only 2 months post-op, I'm finding that my brain is starting to reset itself in regard to portion size. If I eat out, I mentally measure exactly how much I plan to eat and leave the rest (or give it to my husband). It's getting easier, and I hope it continues. I hope it gets better for you, too. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Demonkarebear04
on 3/31/15 7:08 am

Extremely encouraging. To hear that people have made it past this point makes me feel so much better. It's scary to think in 2 months I will still be where I am at today. I avoid going anywhere during meal times right now because I too find it better to measure and weigh my food and eat on my own plates. I have found myself giving my leftovers to my husband.. I feel by the time I'm skinny, he'll be fat lol