Let's talk about hunger!

tdutton
on 4/29/15 6:16 pm

Feeling a little frustrated. I am one week post-op and I get hungry a lot! Sometimes I can only go about an hour and a half after my shake or soup and I am hungry again. No its not "head hunger". I get migraine when I'm really hungry, also shaky and hard to focus/concentrate/stomach is growling. Do you think this is something that will get better over time or when I start eating real food? I take my acid pill every day. Also I realized I'm eating a cup of soup at a time when I am supposed to be eating 1/2 cup. Should I even be able to eat a cup of soup at a time? I can't imagine cutting back more. Any ideas?

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/15 2:06 am

Oh my goodness, I hear your frustration. Your hunger is totally normal at this stage. Many people have exactly the same experience as you are having. Your body is adjusting to a great assault on its system and you are severely cutting back on it normal energy source - food!

Your acid pill may not be quite cutting it. Are you taking an H2 blocker like Pepcid or a PPI like Prilosec or Protonix? H2 blockers work to reduce acid once it is produced. PPIs inhibit the production of acid. I was on an H2 blocker for some time and then needed to switch to a PPI. I still take one PPI per day. BTW, the heavy growling of your sleeve is normal, too, and is often an indication of acid production. It takes a while for your body to realize it doesn't need as much acid any more.

Ghrelin production takes a while to settle down, too. As the ghrelin leaves your system your hunger will also subside.

If I were you, I would only eat the half cup of soup as prescribed. But since you are still eating liquids, it is normal to not feel any fullness whatsoever. The liquids do not close the pyloric valve and the liquid runs through your sleeve within a few minutes. You should be making sure that you are getting your 80 grams of protein per day in your shakes and be drinking lots and lots of water and having your soups.

You should count yourself as one of the lucky ones, too! So many people struggle to get liquids in at all. You, like I was, are able to get fluids in and stay hydrated. This will help you so much in the long run.

I felt NO restriction until I started soft solid foods. My first scrambled egg was a big treat and I could only get down about 1/2 of the egg - if that.

Stay strong. This transition period will ease up and you will fall into your new normal. Drinking lots and lots of water will help.

tdutton
on 5/3/15 5:30 am

Thanks so much for the information. I have reduced my soup portions to 1/2 cup and added other things such as V-8 and sugar-free jello to help in between meals. I do feel full after my soup (well the one cup anyway :) ) Its just that I get really hungry shortly after. I actually started drooling over the canned cat food in the market! Yuk! Just reading "salmon" "chicken" OMG!!

For acid my doctor prescribed Omeprazole- I guess that's Prilosec so I'm on the right track there. I do feel lucky to be able to drink water. I will try to drink more. Thanks for explaining the liquid and pyloric valve as I was a little worried about stretching my sleeve with water. 

I am enjoying the weight loss! Thanks again.