Feeling unsure...

Felicity Q.
on 10/12/15 1:48 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Sammy,

I wanted to chime in too. I just had weight loss surgery 2 weeks ago at 32 years old and I am very happy that I did. Obesity WILL cause you so many health problems if it continues - right now you sound like you're in a healthier place right now, but risks are just knocking on the door! For me, I was teetering on the pre-diabetic range and had sleep apnea. I thankfully didn't have any other co-morbidities to speak of, but they were all just a matter of time. Obesity, Heart Disease, Diabetes, etc all run in both sides of my family and WLS is going to be a great tool to help me treat my obesity, and avoid more serious health issues in the future. I am also looking forward to trying to conceive in a year and a half after my major weight loss has stopped... something I would not be able to do at 350lb.

For me, it was a no-brainer. The surgery risks and complications were much more mild than the imminent threat of more serious issues that would be coming my way if my obesity wasn't treated.

I hope some of the answers here have helped; best of luck in your decision and surgery if you go through with it!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Sammy_85
on 10/12/15 2:52 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughtful replies! I feel so much better hearing from everyone that these thoughts are normal and even good. It's great to hear everyone's stories and experiences as well. I think I'll definitely take the suggestion to join a support group seriously. Working with a therapist has definitely helped me and I think being able to talk to others who are experiencing the same things as I am would be really beneficial. I have a few more months to make up my mind but I'm pretty confident that I'll go through with the surgery. I just want to be able to live my life fully, which is not how I'm living it now. Thanks again to everyone! This forum is such a great place for insight and support.

sanjali23
on 10/13/15 6:11 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Are you reading the complications board? Because that's where problems are concentrated. Think happy thoughts. You'll be fine. it's the best decision I ever made in my entire life and I would never go back. Yes some people have complications but if I had thought like that I would still be lagging that 111 lbs below along with me

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner