Self pay - questions.

breezy25
on 2/8/16 7:46 pm

I really want the surgery sooner rather than later but I have to admit that I'm really scared.

it also just occurred to me that...the surgeons office could deny me too. I mean I have at least 100 lbs to lose but now that ins has denied me I am afraid the surgeon will refuse too!

Cardamom
on 2/8/16 8:04 pm

I was self pay due to lower BMI (38) and skipped a lot of the pre-approvals.  I traveled out of state to Florida and had my pre-ops 2 days before.  No other testing was required.  They were happy to schedule as soon as we figured out all of the payment.  I did the same liquid diet as everyone else but i only did it for one week as i didn't have as much fat around my liver.  

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

G3andBsMOM
on 2/8/16 8:26 pm

I had mine in about a month and a half start to finish. I also had a bmi of 40. I don't think they would turn you away (they need to make money). I live in lower Michigan and it was 25k. They did their pre test in the office it was part of their package. I had one day special diet before surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/16 5:23 am

I doubt a surgeon will deny you for two reasons. One this is what they do to help people achieve the health they want. Two they get a lot more out of your self pay than the ins would give them. Some Drs offer a simple form of ins that will pay for any additional time you need in the hospital for as little as $100. My friend paid for that and was glad she did as she stayed an extra night. Since the ins is not requiring or covering your pre-op tests the Dr can determine what he feels you need. I was also self pay but went to Mexico since it was about 1/4 the cost of in the US. You are truly blessed to have such a caring and generous family. Hope your consult goes well.

JudithJohnson
on 2/9/16 7:11 am, edited 2/8/16 11:09 pm
VSG on 12/03/15

My requirements were a blood test, a psych test an ECG and an upper GI test. Once I did all of those I was approved and had the sleeve 4 weeks later. I paid 14k for the surgery and an additional 3k for all the testing and pathology after the surgery.

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

EmilyPanga
on 2/9/16 1:05 pm
VSG on 02/18/16

I'm doing self-pay! I had to have a consultation with a dietitian and a psych evaluation. I did have to lose a little weight before the surgery but when doing a liquid diet for 2 weeks its a piece of cake.  I also have to have labs the day before the surgery. All together it only took me 6 weeks to get surgery! 

-Flo-
on 2/9/16 5:42 pm
DS on 04/11/16

From the time i found my surgeon to the date of my surgery was about 3 weeks. I went to Dr. Shillingford in FL and it was 10k for a revision from band to sleeve. I didn't have to lose any weight but I was required to do a 2 week liquid diet. I had a great experience and would highly recommend Dr. Shillingford. You should shop around for prices because it can vary widely. I'm from Boston and the doctors around here quoted me 30k.

breezy25
on 2/10/16 6:22 pm

Thank you all for your responses. Seems like self pay folks are able to get in and out pretty quick!

Did anyone get extended insurance through the docs office and have to use it?