Ketogenic vs Paleo

Donna L.
on 8/26/16 10:13 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Look at it this way, too: even if you don't follow a particular diet, anyone who cuts grains and processed stuff immediately drops their calories.  1/2 cup of rice has 121 calories.  1/2 cup of spinach?  3 calories.  Even if you sautee it in some broth that's maybe like 20 calories.  You can use those calories to eat other carbs if you really want (beans) and still have more nutrition than bread or rice.  My beef with grains is they have way less nutrition than veggies.  Too bad they taste so good - heh!

I'd argue it's better to eat white potatoes than grains in moderation, too, though some of us overeat them too much for that (see: my eating history).  Protein will always be more valuable health wise, though.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Lisa F.
on 8/29/16 1:16 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

Paleo is a whole foods diet that eliminates all added sugar, grains, bread, pasta and dairy (although many do eat dairy). Because of the food restriction carbohydrates tend to be lower but Paleo isn't necessarily a low carb diet (a common misconception). If you're doing heavy workouts you may need more carbs and they typically come from sweet potatoes or other starchy vegetables. I've eaten this way in the past and felt great. It's not necessarily a meat-based diet, although most do eat meat. Paleo can be modified to a vegetarian diet as well.

Keto diet - Restriction of carbohydrates to levels that throw your body into ketosis, which is a metabolic state where your body uses ketones for fuel, vs. blood glucose. People use this to jump start weight loss, and while some prefer to stay in ketosis, there are reports of it being damaging to your kidneys if you stay in ketosis for long periods of time.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

VSG DATE 6/6/16 | SW 280 | CW 198 | GW 175 | HEIGHT 5'8 | AGE 55

ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT OF 175 MET: 12/6/17 (18 MONTHS POST OP)

NEW GOAL: LOSE 20 LB RE-GAIN

operalover823
on 9/29/16 6:34 pm
VSG on 05/15/15

Hey! So here is my 2 cents...

Right after my surgery I pretty much followed my Dr's guidelines of little to no carbs and higher protein. I never bothered with low fat and essentially lived off meat, veggies, cheese, protein shakes and a little fruit. At the time, my body didn't get along well with processed carbs or deep fried foods, but after about 5 months i could tolerate anything. I started eating more "normal food" and my weight loss slowed down and by Jan is essentially plateaued. I finally stumbled across KETO last week and realized that is was essentially the way I had been eating post op! I've been eating this way for about a week and have FINALLY broken my stall! I knew I just had to try to get past the stall, but the awesome thing about Keto is you don't have to track calories so much compared to other diets. Since I can now fit larger amounts of food in, I do a large (ish) breakfast of 1 egg, 2 slices of thick cut  bacon, and random veggies, then I have bullet proof coffee in the afternoon instead of lunch and then have a large dinner or some sort of meat (with all the fat) and veggies (sauteed in butter etc). 

As of this morning, I've lost 90 lbs and lost 5 lbs in the last week. I know some of it is water weight (going back to low carb), but I am ecstatic! Plus, who doesn't love to eat meat and cheese! and avocados?!  I'm also trying KETO to hopefully cure my eczema and PCOS (ovary issue). My dad has type 2 diabetes and it is supposed to reverse that as well. So far it's going great and I have very high energy. It feels much like it did 2 months after surgery!

Anyways, hope that helps you! Good luck!

Most Active