About a week of trying to get back on track - struggling with feeling sad

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/25/16 3:54 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I made it as something of a joke, but the principle is sound-- check out www.fivedaymeattest.com. Eat meat, and nothing but meat (or maybe some dairy if you feel like it) for five days, and it's a good way to get your head back on track. There are a few sample menus on there, some sources for good meat recipes, and shopping list ideas.

The RNY folks do something similar once in a while, they run a CAMAW ("cheese and meat all week") in their menu threads, and it really does seem to help a lot of people.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Rachel B.
on 10/25/16 11:37 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I came back on here about the same day you 'came clean'.  I'm a psych NP, so I can tell you that cutting carbs is gonna really give you the blues.  Sugar withdrawal...  The best thing you can do for the blues?  Increase water and take a walk. 

I'm doing the same thing you're doing right now: increased protein and complex protein (chicken ;( ), raw veggies, more exercise and water.  Trying to kick start this old tool...

Keep up the great work.  And use your support!!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/25/16 11:45 am, edited 10/25/16 4:45 am

It does, at least, make me feel a little better knowing that this big dietary change could be the main culprit.  Because if that is the case, then I feel this will pass as I adjust.

I suspect moving my body would be helpful... but I haven't been able to will myself to do it.  I think I just need to give myself a forced march and see what happens.  I couldn't feel any worse.  (Or maybe I could.  Walking hurts my head right now...) 

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

Rachel B.
on 10/25/16 11:55 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

If it helps, just start with a couple laps around the inside of the house, then the outside.  Then you can stretch it to around the block, etc. 

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

ReadyforPlastics
on 10/25/16 12:22 pm

This is very good and reasonable advice.  I'm not sure why I can't just do it...  

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/16 2:43 pm

if you don't feel like exercise- what helped me and my body - long bath with good quality salts (not bubble bath) , watching comedies on TV or netflix...  or google jokes on a computer... when yo start smiling - you brain would think you are happier and it may respond to it...."Fake it till you make it"  

when I start doing very low carbs - i NEED to increase magnesium and salt - take more - much more than normal. I found taht no sugar added pickles - were my answer... or drinking very nice chicken stock - bone broth... 

when changing diet drastically - also watch for constipation... you really don't want to deal with that... 

I use magnesium and miralax... 

good luck.. you can do it... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Anita
on 10/25/16 9:56 pm

I really can't add any insight more than what I've read here from the experienced people and what they all said was in line with what I was thinking from my old Lap-band days.

Most of all, I'm just going to say I hope your mood takes a nice upswing soon and that the issue really is only from the drastic change in your eating plan.

Keep your chin up.....we're here for you!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Donna L.
on 10/26/16 7:30 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

While it's not necessarily conventional science yet, I have directly observed food absolutely affects the moods of clients - especially going from high carb to low carb.  The brain is greatly affected by what we eat, as are our hormones which also affect moods.  

It's part psychological and part biological.  Biologically the body adjusts, and psychologically we, well, miss food even if we don't consciously.

Whenever we feel depressed, doing things helps to fix it.  I make a conscious effort to be around others and see people.  I go out of my way to be social even when I don't want to.  In about 20 minutes after I drag myself somewhere I feel my mood improve "magically."  Push past the tired funk and do stuff!  I didn't say it was easy, mind. :) It is worthwhile.  

If you are curious about the behavioral science aspect, I'm referring to the theory called behavior activation.  It is one of the most vital aspects of treating depression in particular.  It works for mild funks really well, too!  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

AK_Gipson
on 10/27/16 1:55 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

How are you feeling? 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 76 views