CAN ONLY GET 20 GR PROTEIN IN A DAY! HELP!

rachelp
on 12/5/16 6:57 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Focus on your liquids. Very important. Take it easy on shakes and protein until you figure something out you can tolerate. You won't starve to death.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

hollykim
on 12/5/16 7:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 5, 2016 at 12:32 AM Pacific Time, CElizabeth wrote:

I just had my surgery Nov 10 and have had severe problems with getting 32 oz fluid in and even 20 grams of protein in A. DAY! i know that's pretty bad. I vomit and have pain if I drink too much. I'm still on Liquids. I am VERY lactose intolerant and am pretty weak. I feel bloated most of the time and am walking.....but honestly,  this is the worst recovery I have EVER been thru..need lactose free drink suggestions and ALL SUGGESTIONS are appreciated!  Thank u!

get the liquids in. Try one ounce every 15 min. 

Forget the protein for now. You can live a long time on stored fat. Dehydration can be deadly.  Call your surgeon and get the liquids in

Mary Gee
on 12/5/16 10:14 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

nashuanutrition sells samples so you can try different flavors.  Lots of people like the Syntax nectars instead of the chocolate, etc.  They sell different  brands and flavors.

Also, I use GNC products, and if you buy a large tub and don't like the flavor, they will accept it back and give you a refund.  They also will give you samples to try before you buy a large tub.

Right now you're at the toughest stage.  You'll get through it.  When you get to the pureed stage, be sure to check out Eggface's site -- it's loaded with helpful information!!

Best of luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Eggface
on 12/5/16 4:18 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Aww thanks for the shout out Mary xo

To the OP: Hope you get a few ideas...

Liquid http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/05/liqui d-phase-for-post-weight-loss.html 

Pureed Soft http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/puree d-foods.html 

I echo those above that say try a different milk... lactose + whey protein might be just a bit too much for you... maybe cut it with water or switch to soy or lactose free. 

Now and forgive me since I have not read prior posts... but here's just a little tough love... and only you (any any other collective you's reading) know this... is it not physically tolerating or not mentally tolerating... if it's the latter... something that a friend (RIP) posted many years ago helped me when I was not feeling some of the changes in my new life. I needed to hear it, but if not you perhaps someone else will benefit:  http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2013/12/weigh t-loss-surgery-wisdom-from-friend.html 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/5/16 2:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Take the TINIEST sips possible. Can you visualize a pencil eraser? Take in THAT amount of liquid in a single sip. Your stomach is tiny and swollen right now and drinking too much at once is No Bueno.

Try anything and everything to get your fluids first, and sweat the protein later. Dehydration is your biggest danger right now. Water plain or with lemon/cucumber/etc., herbal tea, Crystal Light, Mio drops, broth or bullion, milk substitutes, sugar-free hot cocoa powder; try any of them cold, warm, or hot.

If you're dealing with pain and vomiting nearly a month post-op, I'd suggest calling your surgeon's office ASAP. They can help assess over the phone if this is a "you'll be fine until your next appointment" situation,  if they need to fit you into the office schedule in the next few days, or if you need to get your butt to the ER for fluids right away.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 12/5/16 2:25 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

I drink premier shakes from Costco - not sure if they are dairy free - but they are 30 grams of protein.

I hope this helps and that you have a speedy recovery.

CElizabeth
on 12/5/16 5:50 pm
VSG on 11/10/16

Thank you. I have tried Priemier protein drinks  and thought they were great before surgery, but when I started drinking them 8 days and after surgery I vomit them up. I can't even stand to drink one sip.

HARRISBURG Pa 

Revision to Gastric Sleeve Nov 10, 2016

Lap band Removed June 2016

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

Naomi S.
on 12/6/16 8:22 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I'm also lactose intolerant, and I've fallen in love with Fair Life milk. It's lactose free, and has higher protein and calcium than regular milk. Plus it tastes very similar to regular milk. My surgeons office lets me use Fair Life in place of protein shakes. 

HTH!

Naomi

Valerie G.
on 12/7/16 5:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The protein isn't such a big deal right now, but fluids are!  32 oz a day will make you feel worse and worse.  I know it's hard, but 64oz is a bare minimum to keep properly hydrated.  I can do that before 10am nowadays.  Your nausea may be an effect of dehydration.

Now, for the protein, try something different, like egg protein instead of whey.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CElizabeth
on 12/13/16 4:23 pm
VSG on 11/10/16

THANK U SO MUCH for all the suggestions .  I'm doing better, but, still having a hard time. Not vomiting anymore. Had to go to the Emergency room to get fluids, since I have been severely dehydrated .  Can eat some lunchmeat now, but just a few bites!!! So, I'm slowly getting better ! !!

HARRISBURG Pa 

Revision to Gastric Sleeve Nov 10, 2016

Lap band Removed June 2016

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views