BMI Goal Unrealistic? How long will weight loss continue?

supershopper
on 1/25/17 11:00 am

You CAN and WILL meet 136 or below if you want it. I'm 11 pounds under goal and I will ride and work as hard as I can to lose as much as you can.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Coppergirl
on 1/19/17 9:54 am

Another factor is how they determine BMI. The charts based on height, weight, waist measurements, etc. are just  an estimate. I have seen them vary quite a bit for people that are muscular and/or workout. I have a goal but I am thinking of it as a 'general goal' not a hard fast number.

Started this journey 6/6/16 - 246.8lbs. SW 214 - 9/6/16 VSG. CW - 158. (9/15/17) Post VSG M1- 20, M2- 8.4 M3- 6.6 M4- 8 M5- 3.6 M6-5.8 M7- 1.5 M8- 1.5 GOAL - 142.

Never waste a second chance!!

suzzzzz
on 1/19/17 10:00 am
VSG on 06/23/16

For me, my goal is 20 lbs more than what my surgeon suggested.  He believes I can absolutely achieve it. Still wrapping my head around weighing less than the lowest weight I remember.  I am 59 and determined to finally have a healthier lifestyle.  I am not concerned with BMI because it doesn't take muscle or frame size into account. 

NYMom222
on 1/24/17 11:08 pm, edited 1/24/17 3:08 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

The last time I weighed what I weigh now I was in elementary school. I too couldn't wrap my head around weighing so little.... glad I didn't sell myself short. Set mini-goals and kept pushing through... I am 58 and surgery was 2 days before my 56th birthday ... I had not weighed less than 300lbs in 20 years....I went from a tight 28 jean to a size 6. I would have told you that was not possible. I hoped and dreamed for maybe a 12...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

theAntiChick
on 1/19/17 11:01 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I set my initial goal at 185 (BMI 27.3), since that seemed reasonable and attainable for me.  Statistics say I am not likely to get below 200, but that's just statistics about average loss, and may not apply to me as an individual.  I have since decided to go ahead and set my goal at 175 (BMI 25.8), because that's the last time I remember looking and feeling *really* great.  That puts me at a BMI at either goal a couple of points into the "overweight" category.  Since I'm coming from Class III Obese (BMI 45.2), both my surgeon and my PCP will be turning backflips if I make it even to 185.

I don't actually like the BMI scale, because it doesn't take so many things into account.  However, as a general indicator and one that's easy to calculate and track, it serves a purpose.  My surgeon and I are much more interested in muscle and fat percentages, and tracking those changes.

My research has indicated that the first 12-18 months (give or take) is the "honeymoon period" in which weight loss pretty much happens regardless of what you do regarding diet/exercise (within reason of course).  The loss is driven by the physical and hormonal changes, and lessens as the body adapts to the changes.  To me, that means that once the honeymoon effect wears off, we're back to a "normal" process of weight loss, where calorie restriction and exercise make the difference and weight loss is much slower.  That doesn't mean there's no loss after that period, just that we lose that "turbo mode" loss that we enjoy during the honeymoon period.  That's why I'm working very hard to get good diet and lifestyle changes entrenched in my life while I'm benefitting from the honeymoon period.  I have no intention of calling it quits until I get at least to the 185 goal, and I'd really like to stretch for the 175.  That would give me a good 10# range for fluctuations while still feeling really good and keeping me well under the 200# mark that I am hoping to get under and stay under, permanently.

I don't think your goal is unrealistic, or that you should consider your weight loss done at the year mark.  Just don't forget to give yourself credit for how far you've come.  There's a distinction between allowing yourself to feel accomplishment for how far you've gotten and giving up because you feel you've accomplished as far as you can.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/19/17 3:12 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The "honeymoon period" is a bit different for vsg'rs than rny'rs. Since we don't malabsorb the whole weight loss happens for 12-18 months regardless what you do diet/exercise within reason really is no where near that long. Believe me after the first couple of months the body adapts rather quickly to your new body.

Don't fall into the pitfall that you got 12-18 months where your weight falls off that easily. For the most part it doesn't, but of course this varies from person to person.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

theAntiChick
on 1/19/17 3:26 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Good to know.  :)

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

KittyKarin
on 1/19/17 11:19 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi there! 

You can continue to lose weight as long as you want.  It will get tougher when your body has less fat to lose and your BMR (resting calorie burning rate) is smaller but it definitely can be done.  I am 4 years out and had some regain and now I'm less than the lowest weight I ever was after surgery and still plan on losing a bit more. 

As far as BMI, its a horribly unreliable measure of "health" but it's the best insurance companies and medical communities have to use as an "obesity" factor.  You have to determine how you feel at certain weights and just get to where you are comfortable.  I don't aim for a certain BMI.  At my height, the suggested weight is no higher than 164 to be in the "normal" range.  For me, that's not going to happen.  I don't have the desire nor the money to have plastic surgeries and if I lose more than about another 10 pounds or so,  I think my skin is going to look REALLY weird.  I was 362 pounds at one point and that's just the way it goes.  I would rather still be in the overweight range rather than be normal by BMI standards and looking like a flying squirrel. :-)  

Just see when you get there how you feel and you can choose to lose more or not.  

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

VSGAnn2014
on 1/19/17 12:49 pm, edited 1/19/17 4:50 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I don't think your goal is too aggressive either.  

Here was my experience:  

Pre-op I lost 11 pounds on my own diet and then 8 pounds on the surgeon's pre-op diet.  

In the first 9 months post-op I lost another 65 pounds, for a total of 85 pounds.  That got me to MY goal of 150 pounds.  (That was one pound over "normal" -- I'm 5'5" tall.)  

THEN ... over the next 9 months I lost another 15 pounds.  Very slooooowly.  During those 9 months I was eating what I thought was a good maintenance plan -- averaging 1,700 calories/day.  

For the last year I've maintained my new weight of 135 pounds.  And during that time I've averaged 1,725 calories/day.  (I know that to be a fact, because I use My Fitness Pal religiously.)  

Who knew I would turn out to be a Skinny *****  Not me!  And actually, 135 pounds for a 5'5" woman isn't all that skinny.  It's just ... wait for it ... NORMAL!  

I never, ever asked my surgeon for a weight loss goal, and I didn't want one from him.  Nonetheless, he volunteered that he had plenty of patients who'd lost all their excess weight and maintained their weight losses.  In other words, his version of reality, based on his patients' experiences, was that they could achieve some lofty goals.  So what I'm saying is don't set your own goals too low.  You might be surprised at what you and your body can do together if you're willing to be patient and consistent and disciplined.  Very best to you!  

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/19/17 3:18 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Weight loss will continue for as long as you want it too. There's no expiration date on your sleeve, & don't fall for the oh but the honeymoon period is only this or that long. Does it get harder the further out you are from surgery, yes, but its not due to anything physically wrong with your sleeve, it just gets to be mature & the drive & gung ho drive that's with you at surgery fades with time & it becomes real work to get the rest off, but you can get it off if you want to.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active