Length of stay in the hospital after the sleeve

MaggyLee
on 2/18/17 8:57 pm
VSG on 02/16/17

I was sleeved 2 days ago and doing fine  - just sore around the incisions.  I spent the night in the hospital and I was released at 1:00 pm the next day once the surgeon and case nurse had seen me.  I was able to drink water within hours of waking up and nausea has subsided now I am home. I was up walking pretty soon as well which has helped.  In preparation for coming home, I was glad that I had all my liquid diet foods and supplements all ready to go.  I had applesauce and broth frozen beforehand so that has been handy.  The most important thing that has helped was that I worked out quite a bit before the surgery so I am to lift myself easier and walk no problem.  If you haven't started some sort of exercise regime, even a basic one, start pre-op as soon as you can.  It will set you up for success!

Fredbear
on 2/18/17 4:44 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I was in the hospital for 2 days to keep an eye on my blood sugar. 

I contemplated getting a blender but I'm glad I didn't... my surgeon's group moves patients to real food  (no uncooked veggies or tough meats like beef/pork/lamb) at 1 week. There was no liquid/mushy stage for me.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

yvranx42
on 2/18/17 9:12 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

My surgeon plans on only one night in the hospital, but I ended up with two nights due to nausea and vomiting. They took me off IV fluids early on Day 2 but then put me back on when I was throwing up the small amount of liquid I tried to consume.

I have a NutriBullet as well, and it does fine work of grinding everything up, including ice.

One thing I was very glad to have that I don't see anyone has mentioned is a nice selection of decaffeinated and herbal teas. It's nice to give some variety to the water you need to drink. I personally like the loose teas from Adagio Teas, and the strainers made by Finum. Also - I have a history of gout so I had some tart cherry concentrate on hand as a homeopathic preventative for a flare.

Best of luck on your journey!!

Donna L.
on 2/18/17 9:25 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I stayed two nights and three days.

This isn't shopping, but the week before surgery I made sure that everything at home I'd need was at arm level so I didn't have to reach or bend a lot.  I also made sure that any heavy work was done long before surgery.  

As for a small blender, I used an immersion blender and a food processor for my purees.  I wouldn't necessarily go all out of the bullet works for that...I have not used one though.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Rubydoo11917
on 2/18/17 11:54 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

I was one of those who was to be at the hospital at 6:00 am, was scheduled for the first surgery of the day. I was up and moving by 3:00 pm. By about 6:00 we were discussing if I felt ready to go home. Beings I was feeling good and able to walk easily, they starting getting things ready for me to leave. They did make me stay to finish the IV bag that was hanging, but I was out of there by 10:30 pm same day of surgery.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/19/17 4:35 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

My surgeon has all patients stay 2 nights. A couple of the others who had surgery the same day I did needed both nights (had nausea and/or were having problems getting enough liquid by mouth). I probably needed the first day, but could have gone home after that (was off the pain pump and I was drinking and walking).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Erin T.
on 2/19/17 10:44 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Two nights. That was standard for my surgeon. I had issues with tons of nausea/vomiting and they offered me a 3rd night but I was luckily feeling well enough to head home. 

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Gwen M.
on 2/19/17 11:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Only your surgeon can tell you the real answer, but I went in around 6am on the day of surgery and was discharged around 5pm the day after surgery.  

If you have a bullet, it's unlikely that you'll need a small blender.  I used blender bottles for my protein shakes and an immersion blender/mini chopped cup for everything else.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

shelterdog64
on 2/19/17 12:38 pm
VSG on 06/21/16

I was in the hospital for 2 nights, discharged mid-afternoon of day 3.  I felt great but was having issues with low potassium so that got me an extra night.

I used a NutriBullet for all of my blending/pureeing, what I didn't put in the bullet I used an immersion blender for.  

Good luck!

Sukilana
on 2/20/17 7:00 pm
VSG on 01/10/17

How long your hospital stay is solely dependent on your surgeon and possiblity your medical history. Everyone is different. I was sleeved on 01/10/2017. Mine was an outpatient procedure. I went in at 7.00am and was home by 3.00pm. I was on liquids for the first two weeks, then mushies for four weeks using the fourth week to transition to some solids. I have the nutribullet and it has been so helpful during the mushy stage. 

My surgeon recommeended a book called Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success by Dr. Duc Vuong. This book has been really helpful and informational.

Good Luck.

Most Active