I ate a BIG NoNo need advise

M M
on 6/4/11 10:38 pm
 You did dump.

That was fun, wasn't it?
Teresa B.
on 6/5/11 4:40 am, edited 6/5/11 4:46 am - Marion, IL
 No I did not dump.  I found out really by mistake my neighbor made this dessert and it was loaded with sugar and she thought she used splenda but then she realized it was real sugar.  Since then anything with real sugar I do no dump at all and never have since surgery,  I just had the jitteries and fast heart beat.
Teresa  I now have a new & healthy life!

HW 245/ PO 242.8 /SW 234.1/ GW 145 CW 132 (Total Loss -110.8 lbs)

M M
on 6/5/11 4:43 am
 That's dumping.

I do it all the time.  I'm a super-dumper.  

I wouldn't stress about it.  Stress makes it worse.

What is dumping, and why am I experiencing it?
Answer provided by Taghreed Almahmeed, MD, FRCSC, and Michel Murr, MD, FACS

Dumping syndrome is a group of symptoms caused by rapid passage of undigested food into the small intestine. The stomach has a valve at the top and bottom, and serves as an acid-filled storage tank, breaking food intake down into small, component parts and passing it to the small bowel in small increments.

After gastric bypass, ingested food passes directly into the small bowel, mixed only with saliva, but not the stomach acid. The component parts of the undigested food remain fairly intact and therefore large.

The small intestine responds by diluting the ingested food through a process of “water recruitment." The “richer" the food, in terms of sugar content, the more water will rush into the small intestine to dilute it. This is referred to as “early dumping."

Early Dumping and Late Dumping

Early dumping occurs a few minutes to 45 minutes after eating. Symptoms are not life-threatening, but can be frightening to the unsuspecting patient. Symptoms of early dumping are:

• Weakness and fainting

• Sweating

• Irregular and rapid heartbeat

• Low blood pressure

• Flushing of the skin

• Dizziness

• Shortness of breath

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea and cramps

Late dumping occurs two to three hours after eating. It is caused by excess insulin produced in response to rapid entry of food and fluids into the small intestine. The high insulin levels lower low blood glucose level and cause symptoms including:

• Perspiration

• Hunger

• Shakiness

• Anxiety

• Difficulty to concentrate

• Exhaustion

• Faintness

The diagnosis of late dumping syndrome can often be confirmed through frequent blood sampling to measure blood glucose.

You can prevent early and late dumping by avoiding the foods that cause dumping. In other words – sugars, starches and fried foods. Eat at least five to six small, evenly spaced meals a day. Take meals dry (i.e. withou****er or beverages, and drink fluids only between meals). Because carbohydrate intake is restricted, protein and fat intake should be increased to fulfill energy needs. Examples include meats, cheeses, eggs, nuts, toast, potatoes and rice crackers. Milk and milk products are generally not tolerated and should be avoided.

Each person has a different tolerance, and you will discover what your personal safe foods might be throughout your post surgery life. Person “A" might have no problem with strawberries and person “B" might experience dumping every time a few strawberries are eaten and person “C" might be able to eat strawberries only if they are a little unripe. You will learn what your own trigger foods might be. Be aware that these may change over time as your bypass matures.

General Measures to Treat Dumping

For early dumping, lie down for 45 minutes until symptoms pass to minimize the chances of fainting. For late dumping, eat small amounts of sugar candy or drink sweetened juice until the symptoms of low blood sugar resolve. Additionally you can supplement food with dietary fibers such as fruit, vegetables and grain products. Many medical therapies have been tested, including pectin, guar gum and glucomannan. These dietary fibers form gels with carbohydrates, resulting in delayed glucose absorption and therefore avoiding a sharp increase in insulin. However in 3 to 5 percent of instances, severe symptoms of dumping can continue despite dietary changes. This results in marked weight-loss, fear of eating and outdoor activities, or even an inability to maintain full time employment.

Medical management of dumping includes acarbose or octreotide. Acarbose delays absorption of food and maintains an even blood glucose level. Octreotide is an analog of a hormone in the digestive system that can alleviate dumping by inhibiting insulin release and by slowing transit of food in the small intestine.

Dumping is Common

Dumping syndrome is a common post-surgical complication after gastric surgery. The symptoms of dumping may cause considerable morbidity. If medical management fails to provide adequate symptom relief, remedial surgery should be offered with the understanding that even surgical intervention may not be successful. Normally most patients have a spontaneous recovery as the digestive system adapts after surgery. Early dumping syndrome usually occurs for three to four months after surgery. Late dumping syndrome can occur for an entire year, but may persist for many years. If you experience any of these symptoms, contact your health provider to review your food diary and implement changes to help you.

Teresa B.
on 6/5/11 4:53 am - Marion, IL
 Thank you very much for the information.  I always enjoy reading your blog and seeing what you have to say the others.  I've requested for you to be a friends, hope you accept.

Thanks again,

Teresa B

jerseyjuji
on 6/4/11 10:45 pm
I hope you can work towards coming to peaceful terms with food, in general....it makes life so much easier. I try not to look at any food as a "no no", thereby eliminating the terrible feelings of guilt and shame that went with some of them during my heavier days. We all have the power to make choices...we are not perfect and, sometimes, our choices aren't the best...but, we move forward from those indescretions and, hopefully, learn from them and go on to make better choices. I do not eat perfectly (if there is such a thing). Gravy and bread, and fried things and sugary things are a part of my world....sometimes I partake, sometimes I decline. If I know something affects my body in a way that makes me feel bad (I am lactose intolerant and eating ice cream or pudding would make me feel like I was dying!!!) I won't eat it for that reason. If eating the gravy and bread gave you such a terrible physical feeling then, yes, you may choose to not eat it again. If you are feeling terrible because those are not "the best" foods for our diets, then you may want to learn to look at things differently. Don't let any food mess with your mind. Eat mindfully (with awareness) and enjoy each mouthful. Put the fork down when you are physically full. Then, move forward.
MarilynT
on 6/5/11 12:15 am
Yep, it's dumping...you likely dumped on the fat (in the gravy)  and simple carbs (in the bread).

I don't dump a lot, but when I do I have exactly those feelings AND then I gotta go sleep. And I often don't dump on simple sugar but it's the combo of fat and carbs that gets me.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Teresa B.
on 6/5/11 4:44 am - Marion, IL
 I always thought dumping was throwing up, because I never throw up.  So i think i am confused on what is dumping!!

sweetpotato1959
on 6/5/11 8:39 am
 You are probably having heart race because of the fat in the gravy, and not enough protein., combined with too many carbs....
          You just need to learn how to make it  higher in protein.....Here's my procedure...( I had, extended gastric by-pass with banding and pouch,   surgery 17 years ago...had  low blood sugar for 30 years, with dumping syndrome, before surgery)
           I can eat a small amount of gravy, if I fix it high protein, (use milk, or soy milk with  unflavored protein as your liquid and a small amount of  flour or cornstarch for a thickening agent..)...and  have a serving of meat with it...
        I fix fat free, sausage and crumble it in my gravy...
                  ( To make fat free sausage... take a lean sausage, cut it into slices,
           put it in a sauce pan and boil it    'til done...
           dip it out, place in dry skillet and brown it, .
               remove from skillet. place on folded paper towels ...
                press all the fats that will drain out..
              .it will be dry, but  goes down good crumbled in an ounce of  high protein gravy...    
              You may be also  be experiencing a low blood sugar episode,(that is the beginning of a dumping syndrome episode, whether you actually dum*****t)... they make the jittery and heart race feeling as well....get some protein in you...
          FYI, some people don't tolerate eggs for breakfast( of which I am one), it's something about the  rapidity of the protein  and sugar conversion, that triggers a blood sugar DROP..in some people... so you might want to avoid using eggs as a protein  food with another trigger food, like gravy in the future.    Hope these tips help you....  .
Most Active