What's your worst experience after gastric bypass surgery?

MyLady Heidi
on 4/8/14 1:08 am

I don't consider dumping or RH to be a bad thing, they are a serious reminder to stop messing up.  I honestly can't think of any worst experiences to write here and I am 9 years out.  It isn't easy but neither was hauling around my nearly 300lb body on my arthritic hip, sore neck, sore back, sore feet, embarrassed, ashamed, humiliated, and hopeless.  RNY saved my life.

marymo362
on 4/8/14 4:46 am
RNY on 03/18/14

3 weeks out today, so have not experience dumping nor RH BUT I have had NO complications whatsoever, was hiking 7 days after my lap. RNY and I completely agree with and identify with your last two sentences. 

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

jdsparkee
on 4/7/14 11:51 am
RNY on 01/28/14

My ride has been pretty smooth.  Got something stuck about 3 weeks out... lesson learned there!  I also had a weird urine issue where blood was in there for a few weeks, but thankfully it cleared up on it's own.  This is the best decision of my life (aside from my kiddo's)! 

SW: 226  CW:166   M1: -27 M2: -11 M3: -16 M4: -3 (health issues)

RNY Surgery Date: 1/28/14 

White Dove
on 4/7/14 12:26 pm - Warren, OH

You have had some rough experiences.  My worst memory was walking down the hall at work and realizing that my panties were so loose they were falling off.  I was able to duck into a restroom before they hit the floor and spent the rest of the day commando.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

KevinBacon
on 4/7/14 1:29 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

This made me laugh :) 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

gabby169kitty
on 4/9/14 1:43 pm

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/7/14 12:29 pm - OH

My worst has been the multiple episodes of kidney stones that I have had since my surgery. (We are more likely to have them after RNY.)

A close second is having my tummy tuck incision turn necrotic and ultimately having a big hole in my belly that had to be cleaned and packed twice a day for 5 months until all the tissue could grow back.  It was completely disgusting and took forever, but nothing is worse than the pain of kidney stones!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/8/14 9:51 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Sorry for the hijack but how did it turn necrotic? What were the signs? How long after surgery did that happen? I am wondering coz I am 2 weeks out from an LBL and am kind of going all bruised all of a sudden around my pubic area and lower belly just under the incision. Still a bit of swelling too. But my "seam" is closed and seems to be healing. I am just terrified of anything going off at this stage. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/14 12:59 am - OH

The plastic surgeon and my RNY surgeon both said it was likely because the tummy tuck was the third open surgery with the same midline incision and the circulation had been compromised.

Within 2-3 days after surgery, the incision formed a dark scab-like thing over part of it.  I thought it was just blood seepage and a scab at first. Then it got larger, the area around it turned red, and I realized that it wasn't hard like a scab.  I went in to see the surgeon and he told me what was happening and he removed the black stuff.  When he did, the smell was terrible.  I had to go in several items to have him cut out the skin and tissue that had died since my last visit.  The smell was disgusting!  

There was no bruising around the area, though, other than what I came out of surgery with.

At 2 weeks out, you are probably "safe".

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/9/14 1:15 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Oh Lora, this sounds horrible! Hope that its all healed and just a bad memory now. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active