Starting to get second thoughts

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/24/14 1:20 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Thank you for your kind words.  That's very sweet of you.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Valerie G.
on 6/22/14 5:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

1st of all - Gastric bypass is a totally different procedure than VSG, and I doubt they have any actual studies to produce anything about people dying within 10 years. There are several RNY patients out here way past 10 yrs post op.  Your friends/family are scared about what they don't know, but instead of them, rely on the info you DO know.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/14 5:44 am - OH

Your friend has no clue what the hell she is talking about!  

I had surgery 7 years ago and I personally know several dozen people IRL who have had various kinds of WLS, plus another dozen clients who have had surgery, plus several dozen people from various WLS support groups, PLUS all the people I know here as Facebook friends or whom I have met IRL... and I don't know ANYONE who has died.

The death rate for WLS, even the DS which is the most complicated surgery, isn't any higher than any other kind of surgery on someone who is MO/SMO. Sometimes people die down the line after surgery, but that is usually unrelated to the surgery itself and is one of three scenarios:

- they die from a medical condition they had prior to WLS that was not reversible by losing weight (e.g., a heart problem)

- they didn't change their eating and so they never lost the weight (like in the stories you see on TV) and then eventually their existing medical condition kills them

- they develop a new medical condition that has nothing to do with the surgery (e.g., cancer or kidney failure)

I would call your friends out on it.  Ask for the names of the people that they know who have died after WLS.  Chances are good that they won't provide a name straight away... they will answer with a question or otherwise "stall" or stutter and stammer.

Don't let them scare you with bogus horror stories.  If everyone's friends who claimed to know of someone who died as a result of WLS really had died, the death rate would be so high that no insurance in the world would pay for it and there would be lawsuits galore.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Chilipepper
on 6/22/14 6:15 am

There are risk with any surgeries but mortalitiy and complication rates are higher with gall bladder ans hip replacement surgery. 

Here, read this. http://asmbs.org/2012/06/new-studies-weigh-in-on-safety-and- effectiveness-of-newer-bariatric-and-metabolic-procedure-sle eve-gastrectomy-demonstrates-weight-loss-and-safety-comparab le-to-more-established-procedures/#_edn2

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

ShadowWolf3
on 6/22/14 9:17 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Thanks for the link!

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

Cathy W.
on 6/22/14 7:15 am

I had RNY surgery 13 years ago and am still very much alive.  LOL but true!

I had a very close friend that disagreed with my decision to have surgery to the point that she didn't even come up to the hospital with me.  One year later, after I'd done really well, she had RNY surgery herself. 

I'm sure your friends mean well.  I would tell them that you have done your research and made the decision that is best for you.  Tell them you need their support of your decision. 

JenniPenny
on 6/22/14 11:40 am - MN

Don't let people scare you. I don't understand why you would want to scare someone who is trying to make a change for the better? Are people that shallow and jealous? I don't get it. The death rate for weight loss surgery is the same for any other surgery- around 1%-same as getting your appendix out or a C-section or having your tubes tied. My surgeon had been doing RNY surgery for over 30 yrs when he retired and he never lost a patient during or because of the surgery. It's safe, it's healthy and many thousands of people have had it done with no complications or problems whatsoever. Ask your friend that said those over 10 yrs out die. Look him/her right in the eye and ask for those statistics in writing and hold your hand out. When they can't deliver explain to ALL your friends and "well meaning" family that you and your doctor have decided that this surgery is the best and safest for you. You're doing it for YOU and you alone. You are doing it for your health. Say you will gladly educate them on the TRUE statistics and information about all forms of weight loss surgery. Lastly, tell them in no uncertain terms are they to tell you anything negative about this or any other surgery. They can support you in your grown up, adult decision or they can keep their opinions to themselves. PERIOD. Don't let them deter you or play with your fears. This surgery is healthy, makes us happy, increases our life expectancy and costs our insurance less in the long run as we don't have as many medical problems-diabetes, hypertension, knee and other joint issues, ulcers, high blood pressure and the list goes on and on. I'm almost 14 yrs out, I've lost my weight, maintained my weight loss and am busier than ever. I do lots of sports, run with my grandkids, restore houses, participate in all aspects of a full and happy life. I have no intention of dying anytime soon, I plan to be happy healthy and at a good weight for the rest of my life. I'm 56 yrs old and can run circles around people half my age, I don't take any medications, I've never had a complication and don't have any chronic illnesses. Don't let anybody rain on your parade. This is your life, take control of it.

Jen 13 yrs post op RNY

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/22/14 2:26 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Jaq_Hopson
on 6/22/14 7:21 pm

That is a really stupid reason to decide that you are not having a surgery. Yes undergoing a surgery is risky and so are many other things which you do in your daily life. I am sure that you must have done your research before deciding on the surgeon and the clinic. If you have done that then don't worry. When I underwent a TT I made sure that I get all the possible tummy tuck reviews and only after going through those did I finalize on the surgeon.

me2b
on 6/22/14 9:17 pm
On June 22, 2014 at 12:08 AM Pacific Time, ShadowWolf3 wrote:

So I have 2 more months left of my medically supervised diet and some testing left before getting my surgery date for VSG. Well my friends and other people have been talking to me about having the surgery and not wanting me to have it because of risk plus the fact they know of people that already had and died because of it.

Well I spoke to my surgeon and she has been doing this for 14 yrs plus she is director or something and she said she has never had anyone die on her.  One friend even said statistics show those who get the gastric bypass surgery done die about 10 yrs after the surgery.

So I love my friends because I know they are looking out for me but I still want to have this surgery but now I'm not so sure because everyone putting the scare in me.

You said:  "One friend even said statistics show those who get the gastric bypass surgery done die about 10 yrs after the surgery."

Your friend is wrong.  She may also be an idiot.  

Serious advice - stop relying on your friends (who are NOT educated about WLS) and do your own research.  

Most Active