Is it possible to lose 45 pounds in the first 30 days?

Phatphotog
on 7/29/14 1:17 am

I lost 43 the first month and now I've been stalled for three weeks (I'm almost 8 weeks post op) why would she lie? And why spend so much time analyzing someone else's loss?

bertgamble2001
on 7/29/14 1:28 am - Willits, CA

How much time have I spent analyzing someone else's weight loss?  It only took a couple of minutes to come up with the numbers.

Again.  I care about it because how other people do can be an indicator of what I can expect when I have my WLS.

It seems odd that if a person is 100 pounds overweight, they are half way to their goal after only 4 weeks. 

willspear
on 7/29/14 1:45 am, edited 7/29/14 1:54 am
VSG on 06/23/14

No one else's loss has much if any bearing on your loss. 

Also 150 may not be her ideal body weight it may be 120 it may be less. 

Gauging your potential loss on someone I'm going to hazard a guess is not your age, does not have the same medical history and hell isn't even the same gender is like comparing oranges to airplanes. Also how many months is she liable to spend on the last 50 or whatever. The last 20 will probably take months of dedication. 

Some people don't lose squat and wind up at their starting weight a couple weeks after surgery some lose a ton before the 2nd week is up. 

If you want to discuss generalizations then your assumption about being male and having slower loss is not the general assumption. It is widely assumed that men lose faster. 

Again in you can not base anything on someone else. You can however set goals and work towards them and utilize whatever tool as best you can. 

Also worth noting if you can physically consume 800 calories a day during the first weeks post op id hazard another guess that someone is eating things they shouldn't. I barely hit 300-400 drinking 2 shakes trying desperately to get enough protein in. Yesterday I hit 500 for example with a protein bar, a protein shake and a small wendys chili. I divided it all amongst 6 meals over 18 hours. This is 5 weeks post op. 

civilmomma
on 7/29/14 3:00 am
VSG on 03/07/14

at 1 month post op I had lost 26 pounds + 17 in the pre-op month prior to that.  Perhaps she is counting pre-op and 1 month after surgery, perhaps she was lucky/dehydrated/lost a lot of bloat/lost muscle or something to drop weight really fast in the first month post op. It really is NONE of your business to try to analyze and judge her math.  She lost the weight under the supervision of HER doctors on HER plan.

Also - she could have weighed more than you think she did - thus making her losing 45 pounds seem slightly less drastic if you want to make new assumptions about her and her process.

Any guy should know that it never works to compare girls to guys wrt weight loss.  You should know our bodies work totally different with hormones and whatnot.  Find a guy of similar build and size to you and ask him for his stats...that would mean more than comparing (picking apart) the progress of a woman.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

gblakeney
on 7/29/14 4:02 am

I'm two weeks out and I have lost 24lbs.

jefferytmc
on 7/29/14 4:02 am

You have nothing in your signature or on your profile that indicates your starting weight.  Though you do have a BMI listed of 38, so it gives me a rough idea.

That being said, I lost about 40lbs in my first month, but you also did not indicate what she stated.

I look at where I started, not my pre-op weight, but when I first met with the surgeon.

I had lost a few pounds in the 3 months prior to surgery, and then over 10 lbs on the pre-op cleanse diet.  Then I kept going down from there.

Your first month, you lose a lot of retained water and such and will likely lose a lot more the first month than you will any month after that.

I am 5 months post op and my lost has settled into the 3-4 lbs per week average.

Exercise is a very small part of the equation when it comes to WL.  The caloric intake is the biggest part.  Exercise is just good for your heart, lungs, and overall health.

My wife had RNY 3 months before I did and has lost 100 lbs with very little exercise, I have been exercising like a maniac and have just now lost 100 lbs.  Considering I outweighed her by 70 lbs, she has lost over 27% of her body weight, and I am only down a bit under 23%.  So while I have lost the same amount, I have not lost as high a percentage body weight.  With all the calories I have burned exercising, it has not made a huge difference in the totals between us, because it is the calorie deficit that is the most important part and that is more easily accomplished by cutting back on what we eat.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

Most Active