Holy crap, I eat fast

Cathy W.
on 8/7/14 2:44 am

It is a hard habit to break but it is a habit that you can change (as you've already started to do).

One of the things you can do is put your fork or spoon down between each bite. 

Don't put another bite in until you've finished with the previous bite. 

Don't eat while watching television. 

Be mindful of each bite.  Focus on the flavor, texture so you eat mindlessly.

For me, the most helpful one has been to put my fork or spoon down between each bite.  One of the other things that helped me was to watch people eating in a restaurant and movie theater.  I noticed it was similar to just this revolving cycle of "shoveling" food in their mouths and it was kinda gross.  That alone really helped me.

kathkeb
on 8/7/14 9:40 am

I joke that my husband can eat an 8 ounce steak in 8 bites or less ..... Shoveling in thenextbite before he has swallowed the last.

I cut 3 ounces of steak into about 32 tiny bites and take 20 minutes or more to eat it now.

Honestly, I think that non WLS people would lose weight if they slowed down, took smaller bites and put their for,s down between bites.

Eating gets boring after a while, and I eat less using those behavior changes.

Kath

HLen
on 8/7/14 10:06 am
RNY on 07/11/14

I have realized the same thing.. And I'm 3.5 weeks out and seriously one bite too fast and you know.  

I focus on the clock. I always write down when I start eating.  I watch when I take a bite and try to time it to a minute to two between bites.  

Good luck! It can be tough!

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Most Active