Macronutrients and Weight Loss/Health: Overemphasis of protein AFTER weight loss surgery

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/15/14 4:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19
Kate -True Brit
on 10/15/14 4:31 am - UK

I eat lots of fruit.  All types.  Not so many bananas but most other types.  Today  ( it is evening here) I have eaten one small banana, 2 slices fresh pineapple, I apple, 2 plums, I small orange and 4 cherry tomatoes.

I have never counted protein since being just post-op but when I think of a typical day and work it out, I probably get about 60 gm on a low protein day, more on other days.  My nut and doctor are happy with that.  No idea how many carbs in the fruit as I have no idea how to count carbs!

But I am not bypassed so it may be different. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kimber_CH
on 10/15/14 4:41 am - Switzerland
RNY on 08/27/14

My experience is very different from most of the members here. I had my RNY done 27 August in Switzerland. I didn't have a pre op diet, ate normal meals right up to the night before surgery. I was on regular food 3 days post op, my only restrictions were to wait 4 weeks before raw veg. My diet is based on a balanced menu. Third protein, third veg, third carbs. I focus on eating my protein first, move on to veg and if I am still not full, the carbs. I must get at least 60 g protein a day. I eat three meals and three snacks a day. I usually have my fruit with snack or fresh fruit with my morning meal. My weight loss has been roughly 4 lbs per week. Follow your doctors advice, they generally know what you need to do. good luck with your journey.

Kimberly

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/15/14 4:47 am

I am guessing from your ticker you are very recently post op. Many of us could eat virtually anything in the post op period and lose weight. You may find as you get further out you have to modify your carbohydrate intake to continue losing.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Kimber_CH
on 10/15/14 5:33 am - Switzerland
RNY on 08/27/14

Yes I am sure this will be the case. As it is now, my carb intake is very low as I find I am full when I get the protein and veg in, might get a small amount  of carb but not much. Carbs are my downfall, I was never a big eater or have a sweet tooth. Bread was my problem, haven't had any since the surgery. The key is the balance menu and teaching you a new way of viewing and eating food that will be part of your new lifestyle. It isn't all about losing the weight but keeping it off and learning new skills. my Dr. and nutritionist are very good at what they do, I trust them. Trust yours and they will get you through it. It does help that hubby has his PhD in Nutrition. 

Kimberly

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/15/14 5:59 am

"Trust yours and they will get you through it." Indeed. While I am not a vet by any stretch of the imagination, I have spent the last three years learning what works for me, ergo I know that fruit and most grains do not serve me.

I do balance my menu: with ribeye, pot roast, bacon, T-bone, chicken, pork loin, eggs...

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

slrm2m2
on 10/15/14 4:42 am - Canada

Obviuosly do what works for you given your best judgement after gathering medical advice and research.  However, in my experience, its hard to predict how your.body wiill react post-op.  You can plan all you want.and then you may end up having a complication that requires you eat a certain way or you will have a food intolerance you never.expected.  IMO, we all have to go with the flow after surgery.  Its a whole new world of trial and error.  Good luck! 

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/15/14 5:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Have you discussed your nutritional plan with either your surgeon or a bariatric nutritionist?  I'm curious what their responses would be.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/15/14 5:35 am, edited 10/15/14 5:36 am - OH

I already replied to one do your other comments, but keep in mind that you are looking at very isolated studies done over a very limited time.  None of the physical drawbacks of not getting enough protein after RNY are taken into account (e.g., the case I mentioned where you would need to add more protein to all the fruit because you weren't getting enough protein to keep from muscle and organ wasting and then would be eating too many calories AND too many carbs).

Also, vegans absolutely DO lose their hair after RNY.  It has nothing to do with what you eat.  Google telogen effluvium.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cspotrun
on 10/15/14 6:24 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Hey there.  Just something to consider.  I know I'm only 3 1/2 months post-op, but so far all fruits I have tried have made me sick.  1/4 banana, 2 slices apple, 1/4 plum, 1/4 peach. 4 cubes of watermelon, 10 blueberries, etc.  I've tried them all (at the advice of my Nut), and almost immediately after I am extremely lightheaded, heart pounding, and feel awful.  Sad because I love fruit.  I suppose it's the sugar.  I have found I can eat a bite or 2 of fruit immediately after eating some protein and I do fine.  Just putting it out there because sometimes our bodies have other ideas!  Best of luck to you.

Karen   

Most Active