Driving myself home from the hospital.....possible?

Kate -True Brit
on 11/19/14 2:58 am - UK

No, the anaesthetic cannot be guaranteed to be totally out of your system and you may be on strong pain meds.  Don't know about the US, but over here, your car insurance would be invalid - so you would be driving uninsured and so breaking the law. So it would literally be a criminal offence here. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/19/14 3:00 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

They will probably not discharge you, they don't want you to drive home & you won't want to. Check with the hospital if you can take a cab home. I didn't have anyone to drive me home & I explained that to them so they were ok with me taking a cab home.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

nonsenseprecious
on 11/19/14 3:11 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I vote for bothering your sister! If all else fails, there are medical transport services, sort of like a cab or shuttle, but for people who need a lift to and from the hospital. Your hospital might be able to provide a list of these, or you could ask Dr. Google. Good luck!

Poodlemac
on 11/19/14 3:18 am
RNY on 09/26/14

My dear friend drove himself an hour and a half away to see his son about 5 days after he was released. He said he shouldn't have. It was hard on him physically and discovered mid-trip that it was too much for him. 

Mary Gee
on 11/19/14 4:56 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I drove myself home from the hospital.  45 minute drive.  No real pain post-op and I didn't feel tired or lightheaded.  The nurse assumed my friend was going to be the driver.  I felt fine - but it was not a prudent thing to do.

Do as I say, not as I do.  Don't drive.  I'm sure your sister will help you out.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Honeytwirl
on 11/19/14 5:09 am

If I could only "bother" my sister for one trip, I would drive myself TO the hospital and have her pick me up AFTER the hospital discharge.  I don't think that any of us can predict how much medication that we are going to need.  For myself, it was the nausea that go me the most.  I couldn't have driven home in my condition. I was dizzy and sick all of the way home and it was only a 20 minute drive.

Maureen H.
on 11/19/14 5:59 am
VSG on 10/30/14

I didn't drive for two weeks after surgery because I had trouble turning to the left and seeing what was in my blind spot. The pain wasn't bad until I turned. Do not drive yourself. 

Eggface
on 11/19/14 8:48 am - Sunny Southern, CA

No agree with all of the above... you will be on pain meds and the whole avoid operating heavy machinery ;) deal comes into play.

When you are released you could probably have a cab waiting to return you back to your hotel (ask ahead of time) that way your sis or someone else can take their time retrieving you. I was alone post open RNY for most of first 9 days so waiting for a few hours at a hotel nearby should be fine provided there are no stairs to climb to get to your room, no lifting, twisting, etc and you are just sitting, chilling with a bottle of water nearby. 

But even better... have your sis waiting. I'm sure she will need favor one day and you'll be there for her. 

Best wishes on your surgery!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

pebtash
on 11/19/14 10:19 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Hi, I was told no driving for at least 2 weeks after surgery. But I know some who has driven sooner than that. However I have had many surgeries and never have I been allowed to drive without someone picking me up from the hospital. Even on the highway things can happen to make you look quick and then if you turn quickly to see it you might be in so much pain you would get in a accident yourself. Beside that you may want a pillow to hold on to up against your stomach sometimes it helps with the pain when going over bumps. I would ask your sister for help.

artist4life92768
on 11/19/14 3:04 pm - Jackson, MI
VSG on 01/05/15

Okay....I get the picture. :-)  I will let my sister take me over there, but I think I will either arrange for transportation home through my health insurance company or have my other sister come and get me. :-)  I live with my mother (I am usually her caretaker) so I have her here to take care of me, but she is 73 and doesn't like driving that far. 

I too have not had many problems with pain from surgery. When I had my gallbladder removed (I know, a much less complicated surgery) I was taking the city bus the next day. I live with a lot of pain everyday, so I have a high pain threshold.

Most Active