Horse Riders And Hernia Repair

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/15/14 11:47 am
VSG on 01/11/16

She's just going to keep blowing off what her Dr. is advising her to do and continue to come out here asking until she gets the answer she wants to hear.. like a kid asking daddy for something after mommy says no. Bottom line is .. can't help someone who seemingly doesn't want help. 

Gwen M.
on 12/15/14 9:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Well, for what it's worth, I wouldn't listen to anything Dr Oz said either :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/15/14 6:25 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Whether or not anybody else can ride after surgery is completely irrelevent. Every body, every surgery, every PERSON is different, and only YOUR surgeon can give you advice that pertains to your case.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kate -True Brit
on 12/15/14 6:32 pm, edited 12/15/14 6:32 pm - UK

Sorry. Unlike your doctor, who is medically qualified, and knows you as a patient, I find myself unable to offer advice. 

Life can suck sometimes. We enjoy doing something. Life intervenes and we have to stop doing it. No point in bemoaning the fact. We have to be adult and live with it. I used to love backpacking among remote Asian hill tribes. I had a mini-stroke and decided it would be stupid to do it again. Bummer! But life is still great. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

huskergalWsD
on 12/15/14 11:07 pm

So many Negative people here. this is not support. If I was going to do what I want to do , I would have regained all my weight back already. We all make mistakes. I see a few of you  have posted you have regained some weight back. So your going to do what "YOU" want to do. All I ask for is a little information what life is like after Hernia Surgery. I've never had a Hernia until now. Still learning. Although not learning right now when I cant get a simple answer to a simple question.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

kathkeb
on 12/16/14 3:14 am

You have posted on this topic several times now--- and not one person who has both hernia experience and riding experience has answered you.

You are posting in the WRONG place if you want specific guidelines/life experiences about horseback riding with hernias.

What you are getting here are honest answers regarding your own comments about your doctor telling you to STOP riding until you get your hernia issues resolved.

If you are too afraid to get the medical help you need with the hernias, you will have to stop riding indefinitely.

I don't think that anyone -- even your doctor ---- can look into the future and tell you what is going to happen.

They can advise you to get treatment and they can tell you to stop riding until you get treatment -- you can choose to ignore them or not.

Coming here, every week or so and asking the same question, while ignoring your medical professionals is kinda crazy ---- 

Kath

camantha
on 12/16/14 3:15 am

You're not asking for support you're asking for a loophole to doctors advice and someone to tell you its okay to do so.

Please heed the advice you have gotten before you truly hurt yourself as this is what all the 'negative' people are saying. Call your Doctors office immediately when you have questions or concerns like this as what works for one person doesn't work for another. Someone with repaired hernias can ride horses, while you may not.

Their advice could quite literally kill you or you could wind up in worse shape than before under the pretense of 'Well it worked for them!" Life is not fair unfortunately and you cannot compare yourself to others, so please keep this in mind when you go against doctors orders and endanger yourself needlessly. 

ladygodiva1228
on 12/16/14 4:19 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

From one equestrian to another stop riding for the awhile.  When riding we use our core muscles more than any other muscle.  So you trotting, loping, cantering, etc. will cause your abdomen muscles to relax and contract.  If you have a hernia it will most likely pop out, but once it is fixed you shouldn't have anymore issues unless you have a weak abdomen wall and it could be a reoccuring problem. 

My advice would be to do alot of ground work and look into driving.  Riding is great, but so is driving.  One of my horses does both.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active