Question about weight loss percentage

JB1114
on 4/12/15 4:37 am - Grain Valley, MO

My surgeon told me he expects his patients to lose 70% of their excess weight.  That was disappointing to me.  Losing 70% would definitely help me, but I wanted to lose 100%.  I exceeded the 70% but never reached 100%.  Still working on that.  I find that eating high protein, low carb is best for me.

I know very little about eating as a vegetarian.  I've looked at the plan but just isn't for me. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/12/15 1:59 pm

Good luck on getting to 100%!  I'm glad it's working for you. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

LeslieT
on 4/12/15 7:49 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

My partner had surgery almost 10 years ago. For most of that time she was a vegetarian. A couple of years ago, we realized that she didn't have a lot of energy. She added seafood to her diet and has been doing better. She did manage to maintain her loss for a number of years as a vegetarian.

LeslieT
on 4/12/15 7:51 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

I forgot to mention that she had the RNY.

Modest_Phoenix
on 4/12/15 2:01 pm

I'm glad she is feeling better and she found what works best for her.  Thanks for letting me know.  There are a couple of long-term successful vegetarians on OH.  The PCP told me I should be adding B12 to my supplement routine. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/13/15 7:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My surgeon's motto is that anyone can fall into the (misquoted) 65% of patients who lose and maintain, as long as they are compliant with their post-op recommendations in the long-term.

The patients he sees who never make goal-- his or theirs-- and/or come in with major regain are the ones who do not continue to control their portions, keep carbs/sweets few and far between, and engage in some sort of regular exercise. Stick with that, and he estimates 95% of those patients get to where they want to be and stay there over five years or more. (One doctor's observations, take it as you will.)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jastypes
on 4/14/15 2:55 am - Croydon, PA

I have accepted the reality of what this surgery is able to do.  My reality is that I've actually lost .... I can't believe you're making me do math... 77% of my excess weight, so I am above average.  Could I tweak my program, eat less and exercise more to lose that extra 40 pounds?  Probably.  Would I be more content and happier?  Nope.  Everyone's journey is different, and so are everyone's results.  Between my consultation and my present (almost 8 years out), I learned a lot about myself, and I have learned to love myself and appreciate the gifts this surgery has given me.  80% of people have some regain (15-30 pounds, I believe).  20% of people *****gain actually put all their weight back on.  The fact that I am maintaining the weight loss I am (after transfer addictions, re-gain and re-loss) is nothing short of a miracle.  I would never put too much emphasis on a goal weight, but more on a goal way.. of eating, living and being. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

MsBatt
on 4/16/15 9:05 am
On April 14, 2015 at 9:55 AM Pacific Time, jastypes wrote:

I have accepted the reality of what this surgery is able to do.  My reality is that I've actually lost .... I can't believe you're making me do math... 77% of my excess weight, so I am above average.  Could I tweak my program, eat less and exercise more to lose that extra 40 pounds?  Probably.  Would I be more content and happier?  Nope.  Everyone's journey is different, and so are everyone's results.  Between my consultation and my present (almost 8 years out), I learned a lot about myself, and I have learned to love myself and appreciate the gifts this surgery has given me.  80% of people have some regain (15-30 pounds, I believe).  20% of people *****gain actually put all their weight back on.  The fact that I am maintaining the weight loss I am (after transfer addictions, re-gain and re-loss) is nothing short of a miracle.  I would never put too much emphasis on a goal weight, but more on a goal way.. of eating, living and being. 

EXCELLENT!

Most Active