Fashion style questions for the ladies

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/3/15 12:42 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Everything about my style has changed.

I wear nothing stretchy (unless it's work-out wear), nothing unfitted and lots of skirts and heels.  Everything I own is name-brand and high-end because I can buy it so cheaply at thrift shops.  All my underwear is beautiful -- because I can buy cute things on clearance and don't need sized 10 panties or bras with 2 inch wide straps.  I can wear high heels and work on my feet all day.  I can wear skirts without shorts underneath because I am no longer lighting bonfires with the friction between my legs.  I have tons of great sweaters -- because I am not hot and sweaty all the time.  

On the bad side -- I will not wear short sleeves or sleeveless.  My batwings sans the fill bother me way more than I anticipated.  I also won't wear a skirt more than 1 inch above the knee for the same reason.  Small price to pay, however.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Laura in Texas
on 5/3/15 12:59 am

When I was 200 pounds overweight, I wore big baggy clothes hoping to "hide" my weight. What was I thinking? There is no hiding that.

Now 90% of what I wear is sleeveless. I love love love my arms. I wear form fitting clothes that are in style. It is so liberating. I no longer feel like a senior citizen (I am 48). I feel like I am in my 30's again and am so thankful to have my life back. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Superchunk77
on 5/3/15 2:15 am

My "style" has not changed just my size so far.  I have always known how to dress for my body shape regardless of size.  I am almost half way to goal so I am able to wear some of my old things and I buy new things here and there.  Next weekend is the big closet clean out and the following weekend I am going to New York for a couple days to hang out with friends and go shopping in the garment district as a treat to myself.  Before WLS I really liked buying clothes from Eshakti because they use your custom measurements.  When I get to goal I will get a new wardrobe but for now I am just picking up fun things here and there and work staples such as black dress pants lol

poplargreys
on 5/3/15 8:05 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I do not anticipate my personal style changing, I will likely always wear my usual bright colored tees and plain jeans when I'm just dressing to leave the house. I have to wear nylon pants and smocks at work (dog groomer) so that won't change. When I dress up I already wear nicely tailored blazers, pencil skirts and flats, so the only change there will be the options I have available as far as brands/styles available in my size. 

The one thing I am looking forward to is being able to buy and wear is a really nice pair of leather knee high boots, I have always wanted to own some but have never been able to find anything that fit, and couldn't ever bring myself to have a pair custom made.

NYMom222
on 5/3/15 1:17 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I always dressed as nicely and as fashionably as I could at my size. I was not into baggy cover-ups. The one thing I have noticed is I am buying a lot more dresses. I used to only wear them in the summer. Stockings aren't such a pain when you aren't as big... also more heels... the thing I am having the hardest time with is bathing suits.... I have a pool and i need a couple but with the deflating of my chest :) most aren't supportive enough.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Patm
on 5/4/15 1:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I hated shopping. In Canada we had few stores that carried nice clothes and they were usually over priced. I hate polyester!.I bought few clothes that I really liked. It was more about finding something that fit and didn't look too hideous.

I do not buy in thrift shops. I wait for sales and go to factory clear outs.I wear jeans and teas casually but for work love to wear dresses and nice pants.  I also love Winners and Marshalls. Unfortunately I need to stop buying clothes!

auntmimi
on 5/4/15 3:17 am

Before surgery I was a jeans and tee-shirt kinda girl. Heck, in reality it was more sweatpants and tee shirts cause thats all I could fit into. Now I love wearing knee high dresses and showing off what i have worked hard for. My dresses are still modest, but they make me feel "frisky" :) Wear what makes you feel beautiful!! Now a days I wouldnt be caught in any kind of sweatpants!

gram247
on 5/5/15 1:43 am

I changed my entire out look on clothes. I gave away all of my "fat" clothes as I lost weight.

I lost over 200 pounds. I went from a size 32 to a size 10. 

Not everything in my closet is black. I choose skinny jeans, even leggings! The choices are broader in off the rack small sizes. I have become a shopaholic, to replace my completely depleted wardrobe! 

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Barbara C.
on 5/5/15 4:57 am - Raleigh, NC

Like you, I would say that I've probably always tended to dress somewhat modestly. I always have dressed in a similar fashion to what I do now, but now I have more choices. I know that when I was heavier, I probably leaned more towards more matronly clothing than I would have if I hadn't been carrying the extra weight. That really had more to do with what was available. I have always tended to like some classic, some bohemian. I do think that I wore more 'bohemian' style before because it lent itself more toward flowing clothing and now just about everything I wear is fitted. I'm now able to wear whatever my pocketbook can afford (or I can find at a good consignment or thrift store ). I now wear Talbots, Black House/White Market, J. Crew, Ralph Lauren, Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, Chico's, etc... I really don't own anything that has an elastic waist anymore unless it is yoga pants, worn for exercise, or underwear. Everything now is fitted and most have buttons, zippers, and/or belts. While I haven't uploaded any photos lately, you can get a view of what I wore before and what I wear now in my photos.

I would say that, in general, I don't really wear 'uniforms'. I think that some people will because it is easier to put things together for them. But having so many more options, may tempt you to test the waters and find out what your new style is when you have those options. It sounds like you will probably tend to move to a more tailored polished look which will be so much more attainable when you have more shopping options. 

I have noticed that the sizing in plus sizes seems much more 'standardized' than those in the general market place. Some has to do with different cuts; sometimes I wear 2 different sizes from the same manufacturer, depending on the cut. However, you will find that you will probably end up wearing a range of sizes. I'd say that now I'm a size 6/8, every once in a while I wear a 10 or even on a rare occasion a 12... That's usually fitted formal wear. 

You will find that your shoe sizes will likely change dramatically. I went from a 9.5/10W to a 7.5/8M. Most other people I know have experienced similar issues. It's been great to be able to wear boots. Heels are also easier to wear since I am not putting so much pressure on the balls of my feet when I wear them.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Dodgergirl27
on 5/7/15 2:07 am, edited 5/7/15 2:07 am
RNY on 01/22/14

Yes, my style has changed dramatically.

I wore dark baggy clothes pre op and basically just wanted to blend and not draw attention to myself as much as possible.  Now I wear clothes that I love, I like it when people notice what I'm wearing and wear tons of color.  I also love to buy "designer" items now, just b/c it blows my mind that they fit (that was when it sunk in that I had lost weight for some reason, when I fit into "normal" brand clothes).  Of course, I only buy things at deep deep discounts and not off the rack, but still, I love shopping and I love clothes now, where before it was a total chore and I hated thinking about clothes.

Most Active