The movie "Fed Up" - What's Your Opinion?

akanikkie
on 8/1/15 8:46 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

Thank you for sharing this.  Will definitely research more too.

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Han Shot First
on 8/2/15 6:42 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I'm about halfway through it right now, and while I like it, it definitely has some issues.  There seems to be some major correlation=causation issues.  One that jumped out to me was their citing gym memberships going up 200% and the obesity rate going up 200%.  (I may have the actual numbers they used wrong, but they made the point that gym memberships went up at the same rate as obesity).  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

SkinnyScientist
on 8/3/15 1:31 am

About the gym memberships...a lot of people get them but dont get them. Altering behavior is hard.  My husband really wants to be dedicated to the gym...but even he slips now and then when the alarm goes off at 4.30 am (and I dont blame him...it is EARLY).  It is really hard to get up and MAKE yourself go.

And my hubby is the most dutiful/"do the right thing always" person I know.

The only reason I am into the gym is because it dramatically helps with my anxiety and I am now super vain and want to keep looking good in my pretty new clothes (terrible but true).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/3/15 8:13 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh man, the whole correlation = causation thing is one of my pet peeves, probably because of my statistics background.

Examples: did you know that the number of people who drowned by falling into swimming pools correlates with the number of films Nicholas Cage starred in that year? Or that the divorce rate in Maine correlates with the per capita consumption of margarine?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Han Shot First
on 8/3/15 9:56 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Don't forget Pirates and Global Warming:

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/4/15 12:56 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh man, I LOVE that graph template. I have no idea where I'd use it (I work in healthcare), but I must steal it for someday!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

SkinnyScientist
on 8/3/15 1:27 am

Food for fuel and high fructose corn syrup = 

I don't understand how/way people don't read labels.  WW made me a huge label reader and I eventually moved to the "ingredients" section of the label.  I am not good at catching hints/patterns but even I noticed that there is a lot of that stuff (HFCS) in things where one really wouldnt expect sugar.

While correlation isnt causation, there is a rise in MO and similarily a rise in inclusion of HFCS and genetically modified wheat in our food. Maybe all this weird stuff in our food isn't a great idea.  Maybe we should dare to be a bit experimental and eliminate it from our diet for 3 months and see what happens?  Could it help?  Would it hurt?

I know manufacturers liked it because it didnt have the cost/expense swing of real sugar. But are we as individuals and a nation that poor?  Or are we just a few steps out from "Soilent Green" and this is the only way we can afford to feed a large population?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Alex8899
on 6/23/20 12:36 am, edited 6/22/20 5:37 pm

I used to be not a big fan of documentaries, but having watched The Last Danc, I changed my mind (by thye way, I highly recommend to watch it). As for Fed Up, I haven't seen it. So, thanks for sharing, I'll look for it on streaming sites. It is always good to find something good to watch, especially when it is suggested by other people.

Most Active