Could I be dehydrated??? Need help

ladygodiva1228
on 12/1/15 8:43 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On December 1, 2015 at 3:52 PM Pacific Time, garyvigil wrote:

I was instructed, at my RNY 30 day follow-up, to immediately go to the hospital for 3 days of i.v. fluids because I was in acute kidney failure. I was walking 3 miles a day at that point, drinking 65 oz. of water a day and eating 700 calories a day. How can you in good conscience, tell another human to suck it up, when they might be in a legitimate medical situation?

The funny part is you should know better than to dismiss something as severe as dehydration. If you actually have 11 years, people may listen to you, but this "tough love" approach to a simple question was offensive to me.

When someone is this wrong about something, I will not let that slide. YOUR TURN.

Sorry Gary, but Kim is right. 

Unless there is a physical reason as to why someone cannot drink fluids then they do need to suck it up and get drinking.  Having a cold and feeling sorry for ones self is no reason to not get the fluids in.

I had a upper respiratory infection that lasted 2 weeks over the Summer and even though I was coughing up a lung and my throat was burning I still made sure to get over 80oz of fluid in a day.  I can tell you when I haven't drank enough water because I feel like **** 

I had passed out years ago from being dehydrated and I have made sure that will never happen again.  I drink 100oz a day and sometimes more. 

You say you were getting 65oz of water a day and exercising.  That is not enough fluid to keep you hydrated.   You should be getting at least 80oz a day. 

Not for nothing, but the OP should be calling her doctor instead of coming on-line to a forum asking if they might be dehydrated.  I don't think to many of us are board certified doctors on here.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Grim_Traveller
on 11/30/15 4:12 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

What Roma said.

A great many athletic locker rooms have color charts over the urinals so they can compare the color of the urine to the chart. Dark is not good. You will feel weak, nauseated, and many other things.

Drin****il your pee is clear as water.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

seattledeb
on 11/30/15 4:29 pm

The ER and the folks in the waiting room don't need your cold germs. 

Drink at home.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/30/15 4:42 pm

You are 4 months post op. You should be able to drink more. Warm water even with a touch of honey and lemon... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/30/15 4:43 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I know you might not feel like drinking water but you must try. Not drinking will have you feeling worse. Have you tried changing the temperature of the water, ice cold might not do it, how about room temperature, or make some tea, it could soothe your throat. You can suck on ice cubes if you have to, it'll take all night to get it in though. Feel better.  

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

pegleg63
on 12/2/15 11:41 am - Taylor, WI

When I drink tea I urinate even more. Not sure that would be a good idea, that would make her more dehydrated.

weightloss.jpg weightloss image by pegleg63Beth    
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 12/2/15 12:46 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Only the caffeine in itself is mildly dehydrating, the water that it's in more than makes up for its effects & in the end you end up more hydrated than before. There are a lot of caffeine free herbal teas. Someone not used to caffeine might be more sensitive to it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/30/15 7:03 pm

You probably are dehydrated, so drink up. Hot herbal tea is great for a sore throat. It comes in lots of flavors.

No need to go anywhere near an ER. Hospitals are filled with sick people.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/1/15 3:29 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Sip it up!  

Like Oxford and others have said, but chose ur fav beverage.

Sharon

Roma
on 11/30/15 7:11 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

We definitely shouldn't run to the ER just because we have a sore throat. In my original comment I mentioned the ER in the context of "[if] there is another reason why you can't drink",  meaning vomiting or something else impeding drinking. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Most Active