almost 2 years out .. is it time for this CONTRAVE???

Grim_Traveller
on 2/6/16 11:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes, we've all tried cutting calories to lose weight. And when we actually did cut calories, we always lost weight. Always. Most of us lost 50 or 100 pounds, many times. But then we ate more calories, and gained. It's all about the calories, and sustainability.

The theory has always been more muscle burns more calories. But adding muscle is constant hard work. Really hard. And muscle actually burns very few extra calories. Science has demonstrated that those who workout like fiends end up NOT burning more calories than a person with average daily activity. It's not something I made up.

I know one person who has lifted weights consistently for more than about a year. It's not sustainable. People just aren't going to do it. On the other hand, I know dozens who are at a healthy weight who stay there by watching their calories. It's much more realistic.

I know many more people who felt they needed to eat more to "fuel their workouts." They all ended up gaining, because they ate more. And yhey kicked themselves for it.

You are brand new to this. You can follow any plan you like. I think lifting heavy is a great idea, and it will pay dividends, for sure. But ignore calories, and you'll end up sorry.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 2/6/16 2:18 pm

You are 9 days out. Obviously you needed help to cut your calories so you had weight loss surgery like the rest of us. But surgery is not magic. We do not get to eat as much as we want to post-op or we WILL stop losing and can possibly gain it all back. Weight training is great for our health, but will not help us lose weight. Numerous studies back that up.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/6/16 3:56 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Cutting calories does work. I think you're mixing up different concepts such as eating small meals to avoid a stall & lifting heavy weights to burn more calories due to all the extra muscle built. Neither of these concepts work on the average person who had wls during the rapid weight loss period.

Eating small meals is ok just as long as your overall calories is low enough so you can lose weight. It won't prevent a stall. Small meals can be easily interpreted as grazing, which for most people won't boost metabolism, or lose weight., not to mention its like eating around your surgery.

You can easily over estimate how much muscle you're building while at the same time that your losing fat & yes muscle too. Weight training is fine, but you should add in cardio too, not to accelerate weight loss, but just to add balance to your exercise routine. Besides why eat back your calories.

The op is not experiencing a stall, she stumbled into maintenance.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

hollykim
on 2/6/16 6:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 6, 2016 at 5:51 PM Pacific Time, TD1808 wrote:

!!! Omg no no no!!!!

Cutting calories has never worked. Hasn't anyone here been on a diet???? 

Now... if you're honestly eating whatever you want, then I'll agree with anyone saying its calorie related... BUT... if you want to push past that 210 mark -- pick up some HEAVY weights and pump them a few times daily. Muscle is the toughest thing for the body to maintain. Its not a coincidence that muscular people have to eat thousands of calories just to keep their weight up.

Here's what i learned:

if you're not eating OFTEN enough - yes, you read that right - you will stall. Any doc or body builder will tell you that frequent meals your body can count on revvs that metabolism. You can't slack though. You have to have the small meals 5-7 times a day. Believe me when I say small, its small. A bigger meal at the big 3: breakkie, lunch, dinner, but frequent tiny tiny snacks. A couple of macadamia nuts (high cal, good oils, great for the body and best of all low carb). 

Also -- watch your sugar intake. You remember that pre op diet where they had you eating high protein and lay off the carbs? Just because you lost weight doesn't mean your sugar problems went away - they just got less intense, less sensitive. If you're eating refined carbs: bread, pasta, most rices, and junk food - see above on cutting those calories straight OUT.

But you gotta get moving. Weight training is the best because it makes life so effortless when you have muscle. As a female your hormones won't let you get huge (trust me, the ones who look that way are eating 10,000 calories and drinking it down with testosterone hormones). In fact, the more weight training you do (LESS reps, MORE weight... none of this six trillion reps nonsense. 10 reps, heavy as possible, done. repeat in a minute. done. repeat one last time for as many as you can. if you could do 10 again, it wasnt heavy enough). 

I've no idea what this Contrave thing is, but if its a pill - pills didn't work before, did they? course not. They won't work now.

You can do this. 

if it is all about lifting weights and not about counting calories,why did you have to have surgery then,to lose? Why didn't you just lose all you wanted to lose by heavy lifting?

TD1808
on 2/6/16 8:51 pm
VSG on 01/28/16

Lol exercise got so painful as I got heavy but this is not the first time I've had major weight loss. I lost 115lbs ten years ago thru low carb, vitamins, and working out and walking then running. I kept it off for around 7 years or so until I went back to eating crap.. At 40, my knees have out etc. Since I was cash past I didn't have to qualify so it was easier and I decided to do it. 

But, it worked.

hollykim
on 2/7/16 7:31 am, edited 2/7/16 12:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

On February 7, 2016 at 4:51 AM Pacific Time, TD1808 wrote:

Lol exercise got so painful as I got heavy but this is not the first time I've had major weight loss. I lost 115lbs ten years ago thru low carb, vitamins, and working out and walking then running. I kept it off for around 7 years or so until I went back to eating crap.. At 40, my knees have out etc. Since I was cash past I didn't have to qualify so it was easier and I decided to do it. 

But, it worked.

you have just proven our point by this post. Exercise alone can't make you maintain the loss. As soon.. as you added too many calories, you gained, in spite of all the exercise.

myth busted.

i have lost 120# and maintained the loss for 6 years with no organized exercise.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/16 7:14 am

I used to be a very fit fat person.  Exercise makes me feel good. But diet keeps me losing or gaining. 

Plus heavy lifting is really not recommended for women. That can cause serious injuries even if done correctly.  

New science is out there.  Moderate weight lifting can do much more good, specially as we age... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mary Gee
on 2/6/16 2:20 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

From what I've read here on this site over the past three years, I'd say a very small percentage of the successful people here do not go to the gym.  Many do increase their daily activity as they lose weight - by walking, using a recumbent bike, swimming, cycling, etc.  As they are losing weight they are energized and enjoy being able to move without pain.

As to the number of meals, plans vary.  Some people do three meals and two snacks, others do three meals and nothing else, and others do four meals.  As long as you keep your calories under 800, carbs under 40, protein at least 65, and at least 64 oz. of fluids, you will lose. 

Jenny, you admit your slacking.  Therein lies (lays?) the problem.  Take out the food scale and measuring cups/spoons, preplan your meals/snacks, track on myfitnesspal, and you'll see the scale move down again.  I, too, slacked for several months and stopped losing - because I started eating carbs and didn't follow the program.  I'm back on track again, and it took a few weeks, but the scale is finally moving down again.  

Best of luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Donna L.
on 2/6/16 3:40 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Contrave only works for as long as you take it.  What you eat, and how much of it will make far more of a difference.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

TD1808
on 2/7/16 10:17 am
VSG on 01/28/16

lol so last post.

1. i stopped exercising and eating whatever i wanted = weight gain.
  2. i'm going to trust what's worked in the past and my pals at bodybuilding.com for fitness advice. no offense, but fit people are more qualified to give advise on what works.

thanks! 

Most Active