Shakes until goal?

chassibi
on 9/19/16 12:40 pm

I'm a newbie, so my opinion doesn't count for much, but I wouldn't even want to depend on 2 shakes a day for 6 months. Like pp's have said, solid protein is really where it's at to stay satisfied!

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Ruthular
on 9/19/16 1:35 pm
VSG on 06/30/16

I feel the same way! I don't want to rely on shakes, and the NUT looks at me like I'm crazy when I say I feel weak and hungry. 

catwoman7
on 9/19/16 12:52 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I still drink shakes at over a year out (1-2 per day), but that's because I malabsorb protein and my blood protein levels tank if I don't.  But I'm kind of an unusual case.  If I only needed 60-80 grams of protein, I could definitely get it all through food.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/20/16 3:11 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Ditto everything here - I had at most one shake a day at your point - dense protein is what fills you up and you should have enough capacity to get the protein in with only one supplementary shake (at most).  I am at 6 months next week and below my doctors goal.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Deanna798
on 9/20/16 4:45 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I stopped regular shakes at about 3 months.  Now I only have a shake for a treat.  Funny that I think of them that way, but an icy shake is like a treat for me now.

If you plan properly, you can get your protein in with food AND feel satisfied.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Valerie G.
on 9/20/16 4:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Well, if you ate protein for breakfast and lunch, you might very well be able to eat enough protein.  Learn where to get your best protein punch, start counting your protein totals each day and drink a shake to make up the difference.  Within six months, I was able to eat enough protein without needing supplements.  I keep them around only for "tiny tummy" days.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Steph Meat Hag
on 9/20/16 9:30 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I never did shakes because I was very much against the artificial sweeteners.  As part of a personal issue with sugar I didn't want to start right after surgery having things that were sweet, or reminded me of things like chocolate and candy.  So I took a different path than most and didn't have shakes, or bars, or anything like that.  

Here's the thing you gota balance.  You say it's sad to just have a shake at lunch.... that sounds like you still want food in a way that might get you into trouble.  Like what would you have instead?  Do some soul searching on that answer.  So balance why you want off the shakes.  Then think about what the shakes are doing for you.  Sounds like your losing weight and aside from feeling kinda ran down which you very well might even if you were eating normal food just because it's normal to feel ran down a few months after surgery.  Anyway point is balance out what dropping the lunch time shake would give you.  If your at a job like mine and everyone is going out to lunch then you might just stick to the shakes in order to stay away from that for a few more weeks.  However if you have the option to eat at home and you can plan out a normal small lunch that includes a similar amount of calories and protein as your shake then there is no reason to not do that.

It's up to you and not up to your nut.  You can choose to stick to what she's asking or you can choose to make your own way.  However if drinking the shakes is working for you and your just grumpy about it then I'd stick to it a bit longer until you can make a meal plan that is similar to what that shake is giving you.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

NYMom222
on 9/21/16 7:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Bariatric Practice likes you to be on one shake a day throughout weight loss... but I was also told I could eat up to 5-6 times a day, as you were eating so little at any given time...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Donna L.
on 9/25/16 3:08 pm, edited 9/25/16 8:08 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Even on pureed I was still hitting 70g of protein a day.  I mean, I think even pureed meat would be better versus shakes.  We absorb animal protein better than whey or plant protein - well, I should say we usually do, with caveats.

Three months out I definitely could eat 70g worth of solid protein I mean, even if you couldn't do solid/chew food you can eat:

cottage cheese
greek yogurt
scrambled eggs
soft fish

etc... all of that has good protein, and is "softer" if that was the issue.

Definitely weird advice. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Ruthular
on 10/3/16 6:58 pm
VSG on 06/30/16

It's strange. I think they want me at goal in six months no matter what. I can tolerate foods well and eat a good variety of protein and veg at dinner. The shakes are literally making me sick. I can't stand thm any more!

Most Active