Have any studies been done on just cutting the vagus nerve??

jenorama
on 9/4/17 9:41 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

That's interesting. I didn't ask my surgeon because I didn't even think to, but I'm pretty sure mine wasn't cut. One thing I've noticed is that while I still feel hunger, it's no longer OMG MUST EAT NOW! The feeling isn't as intense and I can put it aside much easier now. I'd hoped I'd be one of the "never hungry" people, but that's just not the case.

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 9/5/17 6:41 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The never-hungrys seem to be random. VSGers swear it's because of the lack of ghrelin, but the percentage of never-hungrys among VSGers and RNYers is about the same.

I often wonder if some of these side effects are truly random, or something else. Many people get freezing cold immediately after surgery, while others, like myself, don't. Some get an incredible sense of smell, others don't. Maybe never-hungry falls into one of those categories.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

FluffyChix
on 9/5/17 6:50 am

My surgeon explained that it was purely random and impossible to predict which patients would have cessation of hunger post-surgery and which wouldn't. She said that with some, it's apparent immediately after surgery that there was no effect on appetite.

FluffyChix
on 9/5/17 6:49 am

I personally wouldn't want to have my vagus nerve cut. It discusses the side effects in the wiki on it. One of the long term side effects can be pernicious anemia (Vitamin B12 deficiency caused by an absence of intrinsic factor which is necessary for B12 uptake). People with chronic Vit B12 deficiency when accompanied by low iron levels have a more than 2-3 times risk elevation for gastric cancers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve

Most Active