Hair Loss and Slow Regrowth

White Dove
on 4/9/18 5:47 am - Warren, OH

I knew I had hair follicles, because there were always little stubby pieces of broken off hair on top of my head. But for years, it was super thin on top. I have no idea if this would help anyone else, but after a few months of using Head and Shoulders Dandruff shampoo and conditioner, my hair stopped breaking and is thick on top again.

It seems like the hair follicles were just blocked and the stronger shampoo cleaned them out. I went back to Wen, but will use the Head and Shoulders again if I see the breakage happen again.

I don't know if it will help anyone else, but it was about $5.00 a bottle at Dollar General.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mimi28212
on 4/9/18 10:06 am - NC
I had the DS and I am almost 9 years out. My hair wasn't thick to begin with and it thinned out even more around my edges and in my crown. My hair has become a little fuller but has not filled in like it was pre-op. As for me, I think it has something to do with me getting older and hormonal changes. It may get better, if not, roll with it. It will all work out for the good. Good luck.
CollieMom
on 4/10/18 2:15 pm
RNY on 05/19/17

I'm hoping this will be good news -

I lost 100 pounds about 20 years ago through diet and exercise, and along with that lost a huge amount of hair. Prior to the weight loss my hair had always been super thick, coarse and fairly curly. It took -forever- before I started to see any signs of regrowth, and by -forever- I mean probably 15 years or so. As my hair grew in, it was much finer and straight! (Oh that I had had that hair instead of my thick waves when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's!)

Jump forward 20 years.

Yep. 20 years. Because that's about how long it took for my hair to thicken up again. It was still fine and straight, but eventually it did become thick and full. Just in time for me to have RNY surgery.

So now I have catapaulted back to the days of fine and thin (thinner than the last time, only this time with some curl in it) instead of fine and thick. I'm only 10 months out so it's far too soon to know what my results are going to be. I've got about 2 inches of new growth around my face, though I'm not seeing the same new growth on the rest of my scalp. The queer thing is that the new growth seems to have a distinct wave to it...so who knows what I'll look like when all is said and done. I'll let you know how it turns out in about 15-20 years!

My sense of things is that hair is a rather high calorie luxury the body manufactures when things are going well. When we stop eating (for any reason) the body stops investing calories in growing hair (among other things). My hair thickened up, in part, because I was eating extremely well (if too much). I had the extra nutrients to invest in the luxury of hair. Now I'm not eating, but I'm very diligent about taking my supplements and eating well within the boundaries of my surgery. I don't know if that will be enough to rethicken my hair or not. LIke I said, I'll let you know!

KO

62 year old woman, surgery 5/19/2017 - HW - 345, CW - 139, GW - 160ish (BMI based healthy weight - 140)

Most Active