What is the psyche eval like?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/14/18 11:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On November 13, 2018 at 10:25 PM Pacific Time, FatManTX832 wrote:

I am wondering/worried about the psyche eval. Like, can I fail it? I've visited numerous shrinks in my life (for criminal activities, anger, panic, court ordered, etc.) and according to all of them I am NOT crazy, but personally I think they are because I am convinced beyond a doubt I am 100% crazy.

What sort of questions? Can I fail it? Should I prepare myself to lie (no, they wont be able to tell, I am that good) or just go full on honest?

Psychiatrists work with a lot of different people, many of whom are quite good at lying. I suspect they'd be able to tell, even if you ARE "that good."

Remember, lying to a doctor may end up coming back to bite you as "insurance fraud."

Yes, you can absolutely fail your eval. If the doc thinks you have an uncontrolled mental illness or eating disorder, or otherwise thinks that you're unprepared for post-op life, they will likely recommend that you do not proceed with surgery until you have your head straightened out first.

And on a personal note, I can understand being self-deprecating, but the word "crazy" is not a terribly kind way to refer to someone with mental illness.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/14/18 2:42 pm - Burleson, TX

Personally, I find the word CRAZY nearly as self-deprecating as I do the word FAT...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

FatManTX832
on 11/15/18 9:16 am

I grew up in the 70s. Fat was fat, small was midget, black was N word, little person was midget, and crazy was well, crazy.

If somebody calls me crazy, I laugh. Somebody calls me fat, I say your mother likes fat men she keeps feeding me. My step brother is black and homosexual if somebody uses N word or calls him a queer/queen, it depends on context. I am not PC. Obese, eating disorder, thinly challenged, on and on, bottom line it's fat. You have excess fat in and on your body. Whispers: "Fat" It's not a bad word.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/15/18 9:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I grew up in the 70s too. None of those things were usual here.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

FatManTX832
on 11/16/18 9:33 am

Newark NJ where a mix of Italian, Black, Irish, Puerto Rican, etc. grow up, those are very very common and mild words. Maybe in the safe burbs of .... I don't know middle America... Cincinatti OH they didn't use those words, but in my neighborhood growing up? Different place.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/15/18 2:26 pm - Burleson, TX

I was born in 1957...

I graduated from high school in 1975...

I use none of the words/phrases/names you mentioned...

Yes, they were "used", socially, during my "growing up years"...

then I GREW UP

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Kathy S.
on 11/14/18 12:19 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Don't stress and just be honest. They want to make sure you are having this surgery for the right reasons? For you not someone else and if you understand what your responsibility is for success. It's just another piece of the puzzle to get your healthy and living life as it was meant to be lived. Keep us posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

hollykim
on 11/14/18 2:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 13, 2018 at 10:25 PM Pacific Time, FatManTX832 wrote:

I am wondering/worried about the psyche eval. Like, can I fail it? I've visited numerous shrinks in my life (for criminal activities, anger, panic, court ordered, etc.) and according to all of them I am NOT crazy, but personally I think they are because I am convinced beyond a doubt I am 100% crazy.

What sort of questions? Can I fail it? Should I prepare myself to lie (no, they wont be able to tell, I am that good) or just go full on honest?

yes you can fail it. There have been posters who have reported failing it.

Have you looked into malignant narcissism?

FatManTX832
on 11/15/18 10:31 am

Fully diagnosed as a sociopath by 75% of doctors. I am and am not proud of it. Sure, I am the alpha male, sure I look at everyone as deltas, yes I am the natural born leader in most situations and I do use it to my advantage whenever possible. Yet, for some strange reason I started working on it. And it's something I can turn on and off at will. The few doctors who said I am not a sociopath, I turned it off before going in. No prep, no magic words, just a switch I throw.

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with using my ability to get what I need from people who are willing to give it. I simply ask directly and politely yet with firm authority and ..... I get what I ask for 85% of the time, the other 15% I usually gently persuade them into it.

I usually have the attitude that I am Brad Pit and Tony Soprano and you need me as a friend. I don't actually say these words, I .... portray them, act as if, give the attitude of. I look like a 400lb sack of crap with arms and can talk, but I act as if. And strangely, people treat me as if. Sounds strange, but it's what I do and yea, it's ****ty/wrong/deceitful, etc. etc. and I am working on it. In person I rarely show any sign of weakness. Online, I am cloaked. Make sense. This is why I think I am crazy because of th on off switch, doing so at will, worried about eval etc.

TheWombat
on 11/16/18 12:41 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

One thing to be aware of is that WLS tends to cause some upheaval in your life, at least for a while. Any issues you have, whether physical or mental, are likely to flare up after surgery. It's a good idea to have a plan for how you will cope when things go wrong, because you won't be able to drown your sorrows in ice cream, or whatever your comfort food is.

For example, I have chronic depression. I discussed my surgery with some close friends, and they were all supportive. I planned that if I started to get stressed, I would make some herbal tea, and snuggle with my cats. If I still felt bad after a few hours, I would call a friend for support. I kept my PCP informed in case a change to my meds was required.

Fortunately, after all that planning, my mood was pretty stable post-op. But if I hadn't had a plan, I could have been quickly overwhelmed. Having a plan should help convince doctors that you have thought this through and aren't expecting WLS to be a magic wand.

You might want to consider if you have at least one true friend, someone you don't have to be Brad Pitt or Tony Soprano with, someone who sees through all your bluster and likes you anyway. Even if that person doesn't agree 100% with you having surgery, they can still provide support. You'll have to let yourself be vulnerable and ask for their help. That may be difficult for you. Good luck.

Most Active