T.V. Star Billy Gardell on Life After Gastric Bypass Surgery

Grim_Traveller
on 4/21/23 6:02 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm skeptical about his 150 pound loss. It looks more like twice that.

I lost 292 pounds down to my low. And his before-and-afters look a lot like mine.

I stopped telling "normal" people how much I had lost after a while. or lowered the number by a lot. After telling a few people I had lost almost 300 pounds, I actually had people tell me I was lying. The first couple of times I was shocked. I guess that's just the way people think, unfortunately.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/23 11:24 am

It's been only 2 years. Let see how he does later. In my first 2 years I was losing and losing fast. My second year I had to work on maintaining as in "not losing any more". It was tough, because I had no reserves left.

I'm happy for people who get to goal in the first 2 years but I want to see them in 5 year post op, then 8...Then I can tell how well they are doing... I've see too many people regain weight ....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Freewheeler
on 5/3/23 12:39 pm

It is certainly inspiring, but the difference is that he can afford to get skin surgery right away and have cooks make all his meals, etc.

So it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison with the general public who get the surgery.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/4/23 10:23 am

yea.... It's not that simple. His position right now - it actual can expose him to issues like transfer addiction, alcoholism, etc. And being in public view is not something I would want. I don't envy him.

I had my RNY when I was almost 48. I worked hard my whole life and I was able to afford some skin removal surgery. Not all of it, because I had enough of surgeries, but the ones that physically bothered me the most. I never have arms lift or thigh lift because I can live with batwings and loser thighs. I'm not in a public eye.

10 years after my RNY - I decided to have a face lift, because I looked older than I felt. I wanted my "jowls" to be gone. But, unless you know I had my face done - you couldn't tell, it was just "a refresher". I look more awake - rested.

I don't have a cook, but I can afford a good quality food, and eat healthy. That did not stop me from gaining 35 lbs over my personal ideal for me weight (my covid weight-gain), or get too comfortable with drinking too much (I longer can drink alcohol and be happy).

I'm 10 lbs away from my personal weight goal. I could stop losing now, I look good, but my joints don't like the extra 10 lbs. And I still like to be active, working a full++ job, plus travel. So I'm working on it. It matter what I put in my mouth and how much. Cook - chef - they wont help a person who keep pushing food in their mouth. or keep drinking booze.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Freewheeler
on 5/4/23 11:01 am
On May 4, 2023 at 5:23 PM Pacific Time, H.A.L.A B. wrote:

yea.... It's not that simple. His position right now - it actual can expose him to issues like transfer addiction, alcoholism, etc. And being in public view is not something I would want. I don't envy him.

I had my RNY when I was almost 48. I worked hard my whole life and I was able to afford some skin removal surgery. Not all of it, because I had enough of surgeries, but the ones that physically bothered me the most. I never have arms lift or thigh lift because I can live with batwings and loser thighs. I'm not in a public eye.

10 years after my RNY - I decided to have a face lift, because I looked older than I felt. I wanted my "jowls" to be gone. But, unless you know I had my face done - you couldn't tell, it was just "a refresher". I look more awake - rested.

I don't have a cook, but I can afford a good quality food, and eat healthy. That did not stop me from gaining 35 lbs over my personal ideal for me weight (my covid weight-gain), or get too comfortable with drinking too much (I longer can drink alcohol and be happy).

I'm 10 lbs away from my personal weight goal. I could stop losing now, I look good, but my joints don't like the extra 10 lbs. And I still like to be active, working a full++ job, plus travel. So I'm working on it. It matter what I put in my mouth and how much. Cook - chef - they wont help a person who keep pushing food in their mouth. or keep drinking booze.

Truth be told, I think most people transfer one addiction for another, especially if the reason why they were overeating in the first place was due to anxiety, stress and emotional eating.

So maybe they get that same dopamine hit from constantly shopping for clothes that they couldn't wear when they were overweight, etc and putting their new lifestyle on credit.

Many gain the weight back after surgery. It is just a tool. Not a solution. If you haven't fixed the problem in your head, you will probably gain the weight back. We have seen this with other celebrities too, so it is entirely reasonable to suggest that Billy may gain the weight back as well.

I was just suggesting that it will be a much easier process for him over the general public, given that money isn't an issue for him. Having someone literally cook your every meal would solve most people's problems. It is when they are left to their own devices is when they repeat old behaviors.

skmurr
on 5/29/23 9:31 am - Lumberton , NJ
VSG on 06/01/21

Hello

I'm in my 2nd year and at a stall but good at this point. So how do I maintain and not gain the weight back moving forward? Just curious if you have any tips or suggestions as a veteran. Thank you.

skmurr
on 5/29/23 9:32 am - Lumberton , NJ
VSG on 06/01/21

Hello

I'm in my 2nd year and at a stall but good at this point. So how do I maintain and not gain the weight back moving forward? Just curious if you have any tips or suggestions as a veteran. Thank you.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/30/23 5:07 am

Be mindful what you eat and how much. Year 3 and after - lots of people start gaining. They relax the diet and rules, i.e. eating more slider food, eating more, drinking with meals, and drinking alcohol.

Weighing often - i.e. once a week and addressing any significant weight gain as we start gaining is important. I.e. if your goal is 150, and you are sitting at 145...going up to 150 may be insignificant. But 155 should be addressed by analyzing your diet and adjusting. The 155 is only 5lbs over the goal, but it's 10lbs from where person maintained. So it's an actual 10 lbs gain.

I'm now app 10lbs from my goal. I lost 20 lbs regain in 6 months but the last 10 is giving me trouble. I know my body would let go of it as long as I maintain my current way of eating. (Relatively Low-Carb keto-paleo type eating). But it would take time. I don't want to restrict more because I want to get to my goal and maintain. Too much restriction can trigger binging.. so I don't.

Most Active