What's realistic loss??

Patty T.
on 11/27/14 1:52 am - Boalsburg, PA

I've been thinking about this as well. I've also done many of these but have not made them a habit. For those of you who have done well, what keeps the motivation going?

Ferfer337
on 12/4/14 1:14 pm - virginia beach, VA

Thank you!  I feel like I am reading about a future me. I am 37 and 5 foot six I currently weigh 299.6 but my all-time highest 328.6. I am considering the gastric bypass and am reading up to make sure that is what I really want to do. My doctor gave a goal of 130 pounds which is lower than I expected.  I was thinking 150 to 155 seems more reasonable. I think everyone that is been heavy all of their life is afraid to be little but with your inspiration that seems a little less scary now.  I would love to add you as a friend so you can be my moral support if I need it.  Thank you for everything.

shakeitoff
on 11/29/14 4:23 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I remember doing a program called "Thin and Healthy"  it worked like most, I just got bored of the limited food choices.  They used to ask me what your ideal weight?  I would say" I will know when I get there".  I am BIG boned.  For a woman I wear  size 13 shoes in men's (right now woman's shoes are too small in a 13) and my hands are larger than my husbands.  (I have very long fingers our palms are the same). I must buy men's gloves no choice.  Last time I weighed around 200 I looked healthy and not overweight.  But it seems the older I get the more my weight shifts around.  I'd like to see some collar bones and my wrist bones again.  Once I had 4 kids my hips spread and that's changed how I carried my weight.  When I finally talk to a Dr and we discuss a goal  I will tell him the same thing.  I want a healthy BMI but I don't want to be a slave to a number on a chart somewhere.  I have heard other people on the forum say the Dr says this number but they feel better at another.  Who knows you may get to 215 and be very happy. I wouldn't worry about the number on the scale as much as how good you fell.  But that is just my view.  Best of luck!

Laura in Texas
on 11/30/14 12:42 am

I was 42 when I had my RNY. My BMI was 53 (340 pounds) and now 6 years later I maintain pretty effortlessly at 22 (138 pounds). I did take full advantage of the first 2 years to learn good healthy eating habits and continue to live by them today. I'd say I make really healthy choices 90% of the time and indulge about 10% of the time.

Your nutritionist is expecting you to lose 60% of your excess weight, which is statistically a "success". That was not good enough for me. I was determined to lose it all and did. It is possible.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

sqlchick19
on 11/30/14 2:40 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Thanks Laura!  

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

margaret odom
on 12/13/14 10:43 am - sumner, GA

I think everyone is different with every case. I had rny soon to be 9 yrs ago in Jan and have to say was told after doing matabolism test that I wouldn't do amazing but ok because it was non existent.  I wont say that it gets easy as the years go by but you will always have to watch what goes in the ole pie hole. I was 45 when I had it done. Exercise hasnt been major in my journey. I just try to stay active by moving.... This was my go to group when I first started my journey. It has changed so much but couldnt have made it this far without support and knowledge.. Good luck!!! :o)

Karma....What would life be without it?  250lbs gone! 410/160... Life's sweet!

Most Active