Your DS Doctor & Hospital & Travel Experiences

Dionysus
on 5/4/11 4:42 am

Weight Loss Surgery Sedona, AZ

May 13, 2011 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Type of Event: Support Group (public welcome)

250 Arabian Dr.
Sedona, AZ 86351

Description:

Sedona
Date: 2nd Friday of each month
Time: 6 - 8 PM
Place: 250 Arabian Dr.
Sedona, AZ 86351
For More Information Call: Micki (928) 284-2230 or email at [email protected]

hoping4arealchange
on 5/3/11 5:45 am - Portland, OR
I travelled from Portland, Oregon to Glendale, California for a revision from RNY to DS with Dr. K.  His office worked with my insurance company.  I went to Verdugo Hills Hospital.  At first I thought it looked a little dumpy, then decided I loved it.  I received very attentive service there.  As many other people on this board, I LOVE Dr. K.  I email him with questions.  He usually responds immediately.

I stayed at the Hilton in Glendale.  I used the website where you name your own price.  It was $65 a night for a 4 or 5 star hotel.  Plus they have a bus that will take you to your appointments for free (if it's available).  Once I did have to pay a taxi $25.  Also, after your surgery they will put a refridgerator in your room for free if you say you need it for medical reasons.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip (even though I was having major surgery).
dawn

Dionysus
on 5/4/11 6:29 am
Thank you for sharing your personal experience with Dr. K and Verdugo Hills Hospital.  It helps a lot to talk to people that have already done what I am seeking to do.  Having a bus that will take us to the surgery for free is a definitely a plus.  Thank you, Dawn.
bldeck
on 5/3/11 10:03 am - Farmington, NM
OK for what its worth I was a WLS virgin when I went to Dr Stewart.

I love Dr Stewart he is intelligent and straight forward just the way I want my doctor to be.  I don't care if he holds my hand just as long as all my innards are in place when the surgery is through.  He does make a person feel at ease with the level of information he has.  I stayed in Texas for 2 weeks after the surgery but I have family there so it was something I wanted to do.  I have never had a problem with Dr Stewart or Sue and have always gotten timely information and help from both of them.  I know he is changing staff right now but this shouldn't make a difference.

I stayed at the little North Texas hospital across the street from Denton Regional.  They were wonderful  There was only one other person of the ward and sometimes I wanted to kill them because they kept checking on me but they gave exceptional care.   Even pampered my husband who stayed with me.

Your reasoning makes since to me, but go with what your gut wants, that is how I managed to get the DS and not the RNY like I had planned on.

This is another story for Dr. Stewart's A+ status.  A woman in my town has watched my transformation and is on her way to getting the DS.  She did the DVD with Dr Stewart and drove down to have a first appointment with him.  Come to find out they didn't run her insurance right and 3 hours before she gets to Denton they call her to tell her that her insurance is not accepted at the office.  She attended the appointment anyway, fell in love with Dr Stewart and is now in the process of getting her house refinances to get the DS with him.

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

Dionysus
on 5/4/11 6:36 am
Intelligence is way up there in characteristics you want from your doctor, for sure!  Who is the Sue you reference in "I have never had a problem with Dr Stewart or Sue and have always gotten timely information and help from both of them"?  Sorry if I should already know.  Sounds like you got great care at North Texas Hospital.  Thank you for sharing your story with me.
Terri553
on 5/5/11 2:30 am
I don't have any experience with a revision, but I believe in Dr. K. I live in Texas and have several in my group who think Dr. Stewart it top notch. I lived in El Paso when I had Dr. K do my surgery in December 2000. We drove to Delano, spent the night before in the "little" hotel there. I was in the hospital 4 days and then we drove to Bakersfield and stayed in the Extended Stay for a week. I then had my follow-up and he released me for the 2 day drive home. We stopped every hour and I walked and had a few bites to eat. I remember getting to Phoenix and being stuck in a traffic tie up for about an hour. It was "past" my feeding time and I was not a nice person!

You could not be in any better hands; I believed it then and believe it now. I still get my blood work done locally and send to Dr. K every year. After all these years, he still takes the time to send me a personal response and advice on my levels. I have no doubt, if I ever needed anything, he would be there.

I now live in Lubbock and am very blessed to have a PCP who is a DS'er, so he knows the ins and outs of blood work and supplements. We meet as a group, that is growing, once a month and it is great, as the first 9 years I was on my own, not knowing anyone who had had the DS, only the RNY.

My advice is to go forward without any reservations with Dr. K or Dr. Stewart. I will watch the site more often and hope to see you on the other side soon.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 433 views