Having bad constipation, I thought this surgery was suppose to HELP this problem!

kirmy
on 11/4/11 7:45 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
Gelatin based sweets like jelly babies or in my case Percy Pigs. Eat a massive pile and then await for the eruption.

Also you MUST eat fat and lots of it or you'll not crap and you'll turn into a lizard.

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
vitalady
on 11/4/11 11:24 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94

I had chronic constipation for 11 years. I tried: more fiber, less fiber, soluble fiber, insoluble fiber, no fiber, both fibers, stool softeners, Smooth Moves & Correctol teas and Metamucil wafers, together, apart, more water, less water, cut out anything bu****er (and protein), senna, cascara sagrada, everything one could possibly try until I was basically dependent on enemas for 3 yrs.

Miralax helped the stool be passable. It was rx and finally became generic, so went from $80 for 3 months to $20 for 3 months. Now it is OTC, but is about $8 for 5-6 servings. If you can get the rx, it is much cheaper, safe, daily, for life, according to my GI doc.

The stool softeners are store brand equal to Colace, not PERI-colace.

Word was that magnesium citrate was such a great thing. This is pills, not the green bottle, so I tried it and nothing happened, and so I kept increasing it. What DID happen is that my foot and leg cramps ceased. So, I kept doing that and tried magnesium oxide. This is small, cheap, found anywhere, like drug stores. And finally, it worked. Mine are 500 mg and I take 2.

My final formula:
1 serving MiraLax (rx) *
4 stool softeners at night
1 mag ox with lunch, 1 with dinner

In the morning, hot beverage first thing on empty gut

This has worked for several years yrs now.

* MiraLax was rx only until the end of 2007, and is now generic by rx. The original name brand is available at drug stores at about $20 for a large bottle. You might want to try one first, taken daily, at about the same time. If it solves the problem, then ask your doc for rx. It is NOT a laxative. It is safe, daily, taken for life, per 4 doctors I've asked. It was a pediatrician who introduced me to it. My rx plan allows me to have 6 of those big bottles every 3 months for $20. Check with your doc and your insurance to see if it's beneficial to buy it by rx. BTW, my doc writes for 2 servings per day, because they might SAY there are 30 servings per bottle, but somebody can't count. Me or them? I use only one, but if I spill or get too much, I still have enough to last til next refill.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

offthewall34
on 11/4/11 6:52 pm - Bakersfield, CA
Thank you so much for all of your replies!!  I have so many things to try now ;o).  I laughed my butt off at some of your responses....too funny!!! 
I have tried the miralax with some success.  I think I will increase the frequency and see what happens. 
I am still so afraid of eating fat.  I still have the frame of mind that eating fat =being fat.  I can't get that type of thing out of my mind.  I am a former RNY patient, so it's so hard to change that type of mentality.  Some of you said you had sticks of butter etc, and I was gasping at the thought...lol.  You really don't gain weight from the amount of fat?  I can't imagine that yet?  This is all so new to me.  I had a few peanut M&Ms thinking that would be enough to get me to poo...LOL.  I guess that isn't the amount of fat you are talking about,  huh? 
Anyway, thank you all soooo much!
Deena
Kayla B.
on 11/4/11 8:51 pm - Austin, TX
I had like 6 servings of full fat sausage yesterday, I can eat like a pound of nuts per day.  4 yrs later, still maintain my weight relatively easily.  I've have a bit of bounceback, but not enough to make me change pant size or anyting.  And for bounceback, I mostly blame carbs.

No, I don't think M&Ms are the answer...lol.  A pure added fat will give you the most bang for your buck.  Easiest way to do that would be to add fat to a beverage.  If you drink protein drinks, you can add heavy cream.  For coffee...same thing, you can add plenty of heavy cream.  I've heard of people doing olive oil shots, but personally I think that's a little yucky...haha.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Catnip
on 11/4/11 10:19 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 Hi Deena,

I struggled with IBS before surgery and was used to dealing with having to go all the time.  But now I am in the same boat as you and just can't go.

I deal with the issue in two ways.  Everyday I use about 2 tbls of benefibre (big tablespoons),  just once a day and it really helps.  The other thing I do is take regular Omega 3 capsules.  Everytime I take my calcium I take 2-3 omega three capsules.  Omega 3 is really good for you and the added fat helps keep your insides moving.

Good Luck,

CNC 

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views