DDS revision after VSG

Janet P.
on 5/16/17 6:03 am
On May 14, 2017 at 10:27 AM Pacific Time, vixen01 wrote:
I am 176.

You are currently 176, your goal is 145 (based on your ticker), and you want to have the DS? What steps have you taken to try to get back on track with your VSG?

I'm sorry but please consider other options before committing to the DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

vixen01
on 5/16/17 12:28 pm
Sorry my ticker hasn't been updated. Basically I'm just over 40 pounds from my desired weight. I tried a few things and even got a nutritionist but the minute I go alone I seem to gain more weight. I'm very active. I bike ride and exercise so it seems like such a weird situation to be in. When I contacted the surgeons office they said that the best plan would be to just have the second part of the procedure completed being the DS. I was told it would get me down the 40 pounds and likely keep me there from the malabsorption. Do you have some helpful advice to add to me. They've scheduled my surgery already at this point.
  SW: 245  GW: 150  CW: 142 

th_LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg        
Janet P.
on 5/16/17 12:55 pm

Sounds like you've made the decision to move forward with the DS. Please make sure you understand all of nutritional and vitamin needs for the DS.

The key with the malabsorption is that you must supplement to make up for the nutrients you won't be absorbing. Protein requirements are a minimum of 100 grams per day (more based on your activity level). Make sure your surgeon's office prepares you with a list of vitamins you'll need to get started with (most have to be tweaked). You'll need to take "dry" vitamins, since you won't absorb anything oil based. ADEKs are typically oil based but there are several brands of dry vitamins - Biotech is my go-to for ADEK (I take both K1 and K2). All are available on Amazon. Must take calcium citrate (not carbonate).

Get a set a baseline labs drawn. Most new DSers get labs done every 6 months for the first couple of years. I get labs done once a year and then tweak my vitamins based on the results. I'm not sure how old you are but suggest getting a baseline bone density (to keep track of the potential of osteoperosis down the road).

Good luck.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

vixen01
on 5/16/17 1:08 pm
I did get a full list of vitamins that I need to take. I will also get a full blood work up and something that I can use going forward. I am a little nervous about the protein however because I exercise I was already consuming 80-90 g's of protein a day. I do have many concerns and it's hard wanting to always keep the weights off and feeling like a failure when you gain.

I realize this surgery has helped give many people their lives back and while I'm not in that exact situation, I'm just hoping to get back to a comfortable weight that I enjoyed. Is this DS lifestyle very difficult and if so is it the vitamins or the diet?

There's also surgical risks that I can't lie bother me a lot. I get nervous for surgery but I have faith that it will work out. It's a very difficult decision.

vixen01
on 5/16/17 1:18 pm
Let me ask you, is the procedure in itself horrible? Is it the vitamins or the diet post op that causes people to not do well.

In your opinion what do you think is the most difficult aspect?

Janet P.
on 5/17/17 8:47 am
On May 16, 2017 at 8:18 PM Pacific Time, vixen01 wrote:
Let me ask you, is the procedure in itself horrible? Is it the vitamins or the diet post op that causes people to not do well.

In your opinion what do you think is the most difficult aspect?

In my opinion the procedure itself was the easy part. Recovery was very easy (I had my surgery laproscopic) and it's just making sure that you give your insides time to heal (it's MAJOR surgery). Recovery also involves learning how to eat. Since you've already at the sleeve, part of that is already taken care of for you. I took 4 weeks off work (and then came back part time for 2 weeks).

I think most people fail with the DS because they are non-compliant with vitamins and diet (IMHO they go hand in hand). Protein plays a huge part in that because the average person requires 40-50 grams of protein a day. If you only absorb 50%, then you need a minimum of 100 grams of protein. When you exercise, you're burning valuable calories so its important to replace them. Alot of people rely on protein supplements, but I chose not to do that. I snack on protein, eat lots of eggs, cheese, etc. because those are good sources of pure protein (and fat doesn't matter).

For me none of it was difficult because when I was looking at the different WLS options, I knew that if I chose the DS I would have to commit to being compliant. I think alot of people have difficulty with the vitamin regime. It can get expensive and quite frankly a PITA.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

vixen01
on 5/17/17 12:03 pm
I rescheduled till september because I seriously am terrified of taking all those pills. I struggle taking allergy pills and I'm afraid I'd forget or become un healthy. My approach is to see what I can lose on my own, start taking some vitamins and see if I can stick with it. Who knows maybe I'll surprise myself. I also mentioned on another post my fear of feeling hungry since I already have the sleeve.

hollykim
on 5/11/17 5:21 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 10, 2017 at 11:50 PM Pacific Time, vixen01 wrote:
Hello, it's been about 6 years since surgery and I've gained about 40 pounds since my lowest weight. I'm considering doing the DDS and have been told that quite possibly the pouch may need reinforcements. I am very active so it really sucks gaining this weight. I'm afraid it would be a slippery slope. My question is, would this likely cause me to be too thin? I went to MBC and they advised (just preliminary conversation) that maybe the malabsorption would be enough. However I was terrified that I could become unhealthy in a bad way if I don't take a laundry list of supplements.

I'm just looking for some helpful input. Please.

yes, you will have to take a laundry list of supplements, for life. Don't have the DS if you can't commit to doing that faithfully. You are asking for trouble if you do.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 978 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 440 views