Batwingsman’s Posts

Batwingsman
on 8/26/08 1:26 pm, edited 8/26/08 1:27 pm
Topic: RE: surgeon in Mo that performs DS
 I think at one time (and maybe stil) OH listed the profile of a surgeon in Sedalia that supposedly did DS, but I have never seen him mentioned in this forum and he is not listed (or any other MO surgeons) on duodenalswitch.com's surgeon list ..     The nearest one to you is probably Dr. Anthone in Nebraska, who has several happy campers on here ..   

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Batwingsman
on 8/26/08 1:17 pm, edited 8/26/08 1:19 pm
Topic: RE: Eating = Runny Noses and Sneezing?
My nose starts running and eyes tearing .. it's strange!  

Interesting note about the nerve and obesity/weight loss (from the article in Wikipedia):

Vagus nerve blocking (VBLOC) therapy, similar to VNS but only used during the day, has caused 31 obese participants in a six month open label trial involving three medical centers in Australia, Mexico and Norway to lose an average of nearly 15 percent of their excess weight. A one year 300 participant double blind phase II trial has begun.[2]

Vagotomy (cutting of the vagus nerve) is a now-obsolete therapy that was performed for peptic ulcer disease. Vagotomy is currently being researched as a less invasive alternative weight loss procedure to gastric bypass surgery.[3] The procedure curbs the feeling of hunger and is sometimes performed in conjunction with putting bands on patients' stomachs, resulting in average weight loss of 43% at six months with diet and exercise.[4] Five pencil-sized scars are the result of the procedure.

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

Batwingsman
on 8/25/08 2:40 pm
Topic: RE: Hmmmm How Do We Answer This One?
I have a friend from online (MO) that has been somewhat envious of my weight loss since learning about my WLS and, at my suggestion, has checked up on the DS ..    Although she does not want to have WLS, she has been pestering me to death about sending her a copy of the "diet" that we DSers follow, to see if she can also enjoy such a great degree of weight loss if she adheres to it ..    I've tried explaining to her that we really don't have a "diet" that we must follow (unlike RNYers, I guess?), but I think she thinks I'm not being truthful with her and has even offered to pay me now to send her a "copy" of it ..      

I've told my friend that we DSers try to eat mostly protein and protein first, and keep carbs, esp. simple carbs, to a minimum and "last"  ..  (and to avoid milk products if lactose intolerant, as well as the usual "gas-makers", white flour, rice, etc.)  ..  It's really pretty much that simple for us, no?  

I've also explained to my friend  that w/o the malabsorptve component of the DS, even if she were to mi\mic what we eat precisely in a typical day, she would probably still not lose weight or at least to the great degree that we did during our honeymoon periods ..  or, even if she were somehow able to do that, to keep it off w/o that feature ..   

Still, if anyone wants to come up with a "DS diet plan" menu for me to offer to sell  to my friend for a measly $500.00, I'll gladly do so and we can split it!   

Batwingsman
on 8/25/08 2:56 am, edited 8/25/08 9:38 am
Topic: RE: Cracker Barrel's Steak Salad
All I can say is:  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!    

I had one this past weekend and it was the best steak salad I ever ate ..  Juicy, tender steak .. chopped up in small pieces on a bed of lettuce with a few raw purple onion rings, tomato wedges, some boiled egg 1/2s and a couple of small cheddar cheese wedges .. I ate mine with their blue cheese dressing, which was one of the thickest b.c. dressings I ever ate ...    Of course comes with rolls and/or corn muffins that you can "pick at"   ..  It's all under $10, too.  

(btw, you have to hunt a bit for it on the menu .. it's only in the special "low carb" section)

Texas Land & Cattle Co. also has a great steak salad, if you have one near you  ..  It comes iwth a house vinigrette dressing that has small chunks of blue cheese in it ..   Very tasty, too!

Friday's steak salad is also pretty decent, but be sure and ask that the steak be cooked "medium" (at most), as it sometimes comes out a bit overcooked and dry ..

Batwingsman
on 8/24/08 2:24 pm
Topic: RE: Curious Question Re: DS Surgeons
 I noticed from looking at pics of some of the big-hitter DS surgeons that attended the DS Institute last year that they all look to be in pretty good physical shape .. 

I know of some MDs that have had the DS, but I'm ciurous as to whether any DS surgeons themselves have had the DS ..   Anyone know?  

Batwingsman
on 8/24/08 2:20 pm
Topic: RE: Who runs duodenalswitch.com?
DS Institute?    Wow ..  looks like almost all the big hitters of the DS were there ...  When/where was this?   Could laymen or DS patients also attend?    This is the first I heard of it ..   

Sounds like the perfect place for us DSers to gather nationally, like a convention ..   Will there be another one this year? 

Batwingsman
on 8/22/08 9:41 am, edited 8/22/08 9:43 am
Topic: RE: Suggestions for Protein Bars?
Taking into consideration protein content (20+ grams), carb content (less than 6 grams, IIRC - they are sweetened mostly with sugar alcohols), taste (great!) and cost (6 bars for about $6), I favor Pure Protein bars, which you can get at Wal-Mart ..   They come in like 4 or 5 different flavors (peanut butter, chocolate chunk, 'smores, etc.), but I usually eat the chocolate chip ones ..   one for lunch each day at the office ..   yummmm!  

Batwingsman
on 8/22/08 9:29 am
Topic: RE: Just An FYI...Florida Has Another DS Surgeon
Sounds like he's most likely going to be doing primarily Stompahyx and EsophyX revision procedures rather than DS, from the way the article reads ..   No mention of the DS ..  

Batwingsman
on 8/22/08 9:25 am
Topic: RE: Giggles at another's expense
 "jonesing"?  

Batwingsman
on 8/22/08 9:22 am
Topic: RE: I need help please
 I don't understand what it was they did to you ..  The surgeon had to go back in 3 weeks later and dilate ;your sleeve and pylorus?   Why did he have to do that?   Were there some kind of strictures or scar tissue that formed where it shouldn't have?       I hadn't heard of that happening before with a DS ..  

Prayers that things will be alright for ya .  

Batwingsman
on 8/22/08 9:10 am, edited 8/22/08 9:10 am
Topic: RE: Can DS paitients get their Vitamin D by sunbathing?
Kind of a dispute on this question, based on past posts on the subject .. 

Yes, we pretty much have to take oral supplements to get in all our D that we need, yet my N.P. claimed to me during a visit to my doc's that w/o some exposure of the skin to sunlight the body cannot utilize the oral form of D ..   Yet other posters have pointed out on here that this could not be true, as there are people (e.g. bedridden patients) who do not get any direct exposure to sunlight and yet don't suffer from Vit. D. deficiency ..    

Batwingsman
on 8/22/08 4:43 am
Topic: RE: Manufacturer confusing the crap out of me with regards to Vit D...
 hmmm  Vita      maybe you should just take a photograph of a bottle of your dry Vit-D capsules and post it over there?     hehehe   

Batwingsman
on 8/22/08 4:33 am
Topic: RE: It Happened Aug 22, 2008 - Bye Bye 300!
Great job, Steve-O!      Welcome to twoderland .. 

btw, what brand of scale is that?   Never saw one like it before .. 

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 4:56 pm, edited 8/20/08 4:56 pm
Topic: RE: Seminar with Dr D. Stewart in Denton, Texas
You've got a great surgeon in Dr. Stewart (so glad we finally have a DS surgeon locally!) ... and very happy for you that you're going to be able to get it done!  

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 1:46 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone Heard From Our Vita }];-) ?
I just noticed I haven't seen her post in quite awhile on here .  (unless I missed something) ..  Does anyone know if she completed her "Vitalady Tour" and returned to home base, or is still on the road?  

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 1:44 pm
Topic: RE: I hit the 100 mark last week, how do I get the Century Club card
Good going, Jennifer ..  

Member AnnetteRust was making some nice CC cards for members, but she went on hiatus for awhile due to some problems with her website (hackers - ugh) ..  I don't know if she has gotten back into doing them yet or not ..  You might PM her and ask .. 

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 1:36 pm
Topic: RE: Does anyone suppliment their Zinc or magnisium ?
My first labs showed a pretty low zinc level ..  (it is one of the minerals that we sometimes have a problem with, in addition to iron) ..      Since then I take a daily zinc supplement (Spring Valley brand from Wal-Mart) and it seems to be doing O.K. now . 

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 1:20 pm, edited 8/20/08 1:21 pm
Topic: RE: DS SUCCESSES!!!!!
Expanding on Ann M.'s point, (good one, btw) I made the following further calculations (hmmm I'm either having a real boring night or just too damn proud of our DS):

For DSers at least one year out but less than two years out (19 reporting here), the average total weight loss was 155.26 lbs.

For DSers 2+ years out (13 reporting here), the average total weight loss was 169.15 (almost 170!) lbs.

WOW ...   

One interesting note, although it may look like from the above stats that the average DS weight loss after the end of the first year out is somewhat negligible (the lab rat chart does show that it slows down appreciably at that point), keep in mind that many DSers reached their goal by the end of the first year and did not (and would not want to) lose any more after that point , so this may seem somewhat misleading on its face ..  

It would also be interesting to see how much the average re-gain was for DSers at least two years out vs. RNYers and banders, both in terms of actual lbs. re-gained and as a % of the total lbs. originally lost ..  I bet those two figures will not be anywhere near as high as that of the average RNYer (and bander) ..  

(Cookieman, you want the honor or posting the above proud stats to the main forum and challenging the RNYers and banders to do similarly?       Jus****ch the flack start flying then ..      )

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 12:32 pm, edited 8/20/08 12:32 pm
Topic: RE: My DS at 9 Months
 Great to hear you have done so well and are a member of the Century Club, Zapman ..  I wondered how you had been doing of late .. 

As to those "false farts that turn out to be slicks", should we give them a name?   How about "flicks"?    (not to be confused with those decadent chocolate wafers sold in a long, brightly-colored paper tube in the movie theaters long ago of a similar name  - whatever happened to those things, btw?  yummmmmmmmm  )

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 12:26 pm
Topic: RE: Disciplining children DS style
Dang, nowdays they'd probably call C.P.S. on a parent who did something like that  for "child abuse" .. !  

If your misbehaving kid has had DS, you could threaten to send them 'to bed without any supplements" .. 

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 12:21 pm
Topic: RE: FREEBIE TIME - DS style
 Well that sucks ..  The coupon @ the link says that it must be printed out on a color printer to be acceptable, that they will not take black & white copies ..   

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 12:11 pm, edited 8/20/08 12:16 pm
Topic: RE: Sleep apnea?
It sounds like there is a good chance you have sleep apnea ..

One way you can check out this possiblity is to make an audio recording (or better yet, video recording) of yourself while you sleep ..   If on the audio you can hear yourself suddenly stop breathing, make gasping sounds like you're trying to get your breath, and then sorta snorting noises (not sure how else to describe it) as you come awake, and do that repeatedly during the night, that is definitely what is going on ...       Keep in mind though that it is common for apnea patients to go through this cycle and not come fully awake, so in reality they may not be aware of how many times this is actually going on while they sleep.  I think my sleep study showed I was experiencing something like 250 "hypotneas" in a six-hour period, or some such ..  

A simple way to confirm it medically, w/o going through a full-blown "sleep study" at a hospital sleeping room, is to use one of those home telemed units which hook up to your home phone system next to your bedside.  Simple leads attach to your finger (pulse oximeter) to show your O2 saturation level in your blood, a lead to your chest for breathing rate, and a tiny microphone which attaches just below your nostrils to record the sounds of your breathing as you sleep.  This data is transmitted over the phone line where it is recorded at the hospital or sleep clinic's sleep study center for later analysis.      Once a confirmatory diagnosis is made, you will then be subjected to various settings on a CPAP or BiPap machine to see how well you respond to same.    

Whatever you do, don't put it off, as apnea can cause very serious consequences over time if left untreated (tell me about it - )   I was in denial with mine for several years until one day I was recorded nodding off and snoring several times during a recorded statement.     Untreated, sleep apnea can lead to hypertension, heart attack and/or heart enlargement, stroke, libido/potency problems, and a danger of serious injury or death from nodding off ("microsleeping") while driving or doing other dangerous activities during the day ..   

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 11:43 am
Topic: RE: Back from Europe and PINCH me plastics!!!

Hmmmm .. here we thought they just ate haggis over there!        

Batwingsman
on 8/20/08 11:36 am, edited 8/20/08 11:38 am
Topic: RE: Husted, Houdini and Hijinx--I Smell BS!! (LONG)
As I have posted before, my surgeon's (a VERY experienced lap DS surgeon, btw) is of the opinion that the VERGITO is just a bit of clever marketing and, even if in the long run it proves tiself to be somewhat successful in achieving weight loss, the amount of permanent loss will still not come anywhere close to that of the DS w. its malabsorptive properties  ...      IMHO, very sad to see that Dr. Husted, w. his highly-regarded DS reputation, would stoop to such a ploy .. 

Batwingsman
on 8/19/08 4:41 pm, edited 8/19/08 4:42 pm
Topic: RE: WLS Article on MSNBC - OOPS! Already posted below!
I would guess that the "bad example" given was a case where the CC was cut too long for the weight loss needed, since the patient only lost 85 lbs. in 1 1/2 years ..  That is a very low/slow rate for a DSer, on average ..   

We have seen some DS patients like that w. too long CCs on OH, and in particular some of Dr. Warden's unhappy campers ..  They did not lose anywhere close to what they should have and/or are or have experienced major regains of what they did lose .. 

In the case given, a regain of 15 lbs. doesn't really sound that disastrous in and of itself, IMHO, as it is about 17% of that originally lost .. IIRC the average regain, when there is a regain with DS, is about 10% of the total lost .. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 434 views