Thoughts About Revision

Greg M.
on 9/23/12 7:26 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Lindsey,

That's great that you're not hungry.  I'm sure that my hunger is due to my sleeve being a little bigger than the doc wanted to make it.  But I'm okay with that.  I'll hit my goal, I'm not even out a year yet.  He told me that band to sleeve revision patients, sometimes have a tougher time getting to goal, so I was prepared for a fight.

Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

tripmom02
on 9/24/12 6:01 am - NJ
Me too, yesterday we where running all day, got to be around 9 at night and I was cranky and shaky and feeling like crap, it was only then I realized the only thing I had had all day was my protein coffee in the morning, a glass of Guinness (yeah I drink sometimes) and a cheese stick. Poor planning on my part, and not good, but it's easy for me to lose track on busy days when I have no real physical symptoms of hunger until it is actually affecting my body negatively (and I walked over six miles yesterday, so by 9 I was physically a mess from not fueling my body).

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/12 10:56 am
i'm coming up on a yr with my revision to the sleeve.

while the first 2 months were rough with severe fatigue, it's been a very easy transition.

was a lightweight to start & had gained 15+lbs with an empty band, that was gone immediately.
i have a small 30fb sleeve & unlike greg - i can't see how you can push through food.   i eat around every 2hrs, as i can only fit in 1-2oz at a time - depending on the protein source.
hunger / ghrelin - i just think this is personal.   i have to remind myself to eat sometimes, there are times when i'm just not in the mood to eat.

i have found the sleeve much easier to live with than the lapband - in all aspects.
ate well / exercised with the band....however the constant hiccups and subsequent slips that caused permanent injury - for "me", there is no comparison.

moderation - i eat whatever i'm in the mood for, no food is a restriction for me.
tuna & pringles is my current go to - works.   i've been maintaining since dec between 103-108lbs.... had a small injury to my jaw & dropped below 100 (i'm 4'11).   

what WLS works for one, doesn't another - when physical / internal injury is incurred, well i'll have my OP about the band, ... if someone wants one, by all means get it.

Greg M.
on 9/23/12 2:49 pm - Cincinnati, OH
My sleeve was constructed around a 34 FB.  Also, I asked my surgeon NOT pull it tight around the gauge.  Effectively, I probably have a 40 FB.  I'm paying for that larger sleeve now, but I really have no stomach issues which is nice. 

I had a large hiatial hernia that was repaired during my surgery, so that was the reason for all the GERD and reflux preop.   

pineview01
on 9/23/12 5:46 pm - Davison, MI
I was wondering if you regretted telling him to keep it lose.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Greg M.
on 9/23/12 7:19 pm - Cincinnati, OH
It's hard to know what I would have felt like if I had allowed Dr. Curry to pull the sleeve tight.  I probably wouldn't be having the hunger issues that I'm having now.  That being said, I totally love it that I feel completely normal.  Other than taking Protonix (and I have been taking or similar drug for over 10 years), I have no negative side effects and that makes me happy.  No, I don't regret asking him to keep me loose.

MARIA F.
on 9/23/12 4:16 pm - Athens, GA

I must say, I'm shocked. You are the only person that I have ever heard say that they have to work harder with VSG than the band! However I have always said that BOTH experiences NEED to be told on here.......both the positive and the negative........so thanks for giving a different POV on the VSG.

Btw..........does Curry still have his original band???

FormerlyFluffy.com

Greg M.
on 9/23/12 7:21 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I've never heard that Dr. Curry needed a new band so I assume that he has his original band, but I've never asked him that.  He is a great guy and has a wonderful practice.  I would send anyone to him without hesitation!

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 9:02 am
Maria, it has everything to do with the size and construction of the sleeve.  It is really important to remember that when you are talking about VSG, you are really talking about many different sizes and even shapes of the sleeve.  The outcomes are very different from one doctor to another.  A smaller sleeve means much easier time getting and staying full in the long run.  People don't always see the difference in the first few months, it is only in the 6-8 months out that things become clearer as the sleeve heals and matures.  The hunger issues are indeed quite different for different people.  I lost my hunger entirely for the first 6-8 months, but then it has come back.  It is much weaker and easily dealt with now, but I do get hungry if I don't eat for a while.  I really don't mind it, as it's normal to have some hunger when you don't eat.  However, when/if I eat carbs, my hunger intensified dramatically.  This of course is due to the insulin spike. 
MARIA F.
on 9/24/12 12:16 pm - Athens, GA

Yes Elina I agree with you. Size of the sleeve and surgeon skill are the main factors, and I did notice that the OP stated he has a larger sleeve.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active